The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Swapping api channel for tg channel - change my mind
Old 19th November 2018
Swapping api channel for tg channel - change my mind

Hi there,
I've got a 500 series api channel (512v, 527, 550b) which I enjoy, but I'm seriously considering swapping out the 512v and the 550b for the chandler TG-2 500 and TG12345 mkIV EQ modules.

It's not that I'm unhappy with the api modules, it's just that I focus primarily on recording vocals, and when I demo'd the TG Cassette, I really liked flexibility of the TG-2's fine gain control and the smooth buttery sound of the EQ.

I'd keep both if money and rackspace were no concern, but since that's not the case I feel I'm on the cusp of making this call.

Thoughts?

thanks!
Old 20th November 2018
I've had similar versions of both for 15 or so years....api 3124....550b.....TG 2 mic pre....I've never used a chandler eq...

I usually choose the TG on vocals if it's a u87/u47 style mic...API if it's a dynamic (sm7) You can do a lot with the gain knob on the tg 2...

I like the api better on pretty much everything else...even guitars...I've never wanted to get rid of either. I like having both.
Old 20th November 2018
Go for it! Love that TG cassette! Such a sweet box of goodness.
Old 22nd November 2018
thanks you guys!! Really appreciate the participation!

I do love my api channel, but it rarely ends up being my first choice on vocals, which is what I'm tracking 80% of the time.

..that said, my first choice would be to keep it all and add a TG Microphone Cassette... or at least the TG2 and Curvebender 500
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search