The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High end mix bus compressor for Hendrix style music?
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I had a freelance friend bring an LA22 in once. I recall it being a really cool piece.
They're ]very cool. Can do quite a lot of things from a compression point of view but the unit itself is very transparent. Especially good if you're worried about losing top/bottom when hitting it harder.
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Head

How about Roger Mayer RM58? Actually used on some Hendrix stuff.
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

You should also consider that the compression of Jimi comes also from the (smoking) preamp tubes of the guitar amp an then again in the final power section tubes of it. (And also the signal passing through a fuzz pedal before hitting the pre).
Then finally, the additional sound compression/saturation of the cabinet speaker pushed to its maximum volume while recording.
You need the whole guitar chain, with a similar player playing similar music to have the same sound. Also similar pickups and similar string gauge. (also strings have their dynamics...)
And Jimi was playing a flipped right/left guitar so the gt pickup was rotated in a different manner giving a particular sound that was different from the standard fender strat sound.

I don't know how big was the contribute of its bus compressor to the sound.

Considering how much he was pushing its tubes to the limit, in that primordial amps era, I think that nowdays Jimi would choose to sound at least like Steve Vai or maybe even bigger and fatter sounding, maybe like Metallica or even Meshuggah maybe with 7 or 8 strings baritone distortion guitar...
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

So many links in the chain of getting a Hendrix result with the player being the most important. To single out a compressor when the practice of using a buss compressor was not in fashion yet seems silly. Using a long coiled guitar cord may be more important.
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Head

One piece i'm considering is the Buzz Audio Soc-20
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Scotch/Agfa tape being hit hard!

3M or ampex tape machines also help this equation as well as a roger Mayer comps.
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear
I'd consider the Buzz Audio Dbc 20 as well. Weight and punch in spades...especially punch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSH View Post
One piece i'm considering is the Buzz Audio Soc-20
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

I think at Olympic they had Altec 436c's and Audio and Design F600 compressor/limiters and maybe others. I don't know how much Hendrix used them though.
Old 23rd November 2018
I think of Pye compressors when I think of Jimi. Not sure if those were on individual tracks (probable) rather than master bus though. It seems master bus at the time was more of a mastering technique 50 years ago. A mu type would come to mind in that instance. Someone mentioned the Buzz SOC20 and DBC1.1 and while far more modern than 1960s pieces, are both very versatile pieces for a variety of uses including tracking or critical stereo mix bus etc.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I'd hit tape
you must have been around....

i think Jimi would track on one of these, and no one would care about the mix buss comp.

seriously folks....

Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
High end mix bus compressor for Hendrix style music?-456-vu-meters.jpg   High end mix bus compressor for Hendrix style music?-studer-top.jpg  
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
you must have been around....

i think Jimi would track on one of these, and no one would care about the mix buss comp.

seriously folks....

Buddha
looks awesome and u might be right but I'm not convinced that would be the magic ingredient either. That's why I put out the challenge to anyone who wants to try and record something that sounds like Hendrix ballpark and let's hear it. It's so hard to pull off that 60's vibey sound in my view.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

To really replicate the '60 vibe to be honest I would use the least compression in the mix process, using really only the eq if possible, a of course the natural compression of instruments before they hit the mic, and of course musicians dynamics hi/lo in the fingers...

I just did a quick audio demo-clip (linked at the end of the post) of what I really mean. In the clip I play the guitar and the bass, I quickly programmed the drum on the fly. It's just a raw demo to explain the concept, I simply play something that follows in someway the song structure of Spanish Castle but using just a different riff improvised on the spot, also to not have any copyright issue...
Of course my ibanez into a higain engl sounds different than a jimi fender strat but it's only to explain the idea, not to replicate the hendrix tone.

this link to the audio will expire in 24 hours:
untitled - Clyp
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Head

It's been awhile since I've been on gearslutz...I forgot how brutal the responses were.

Is it really so hard to interpret what the OP was looking for? A mix bus compressor that can deal with fairly dynamic music that has it's quiet moments to it's roaring, fuzzed out parts but not exactly classical in dynamic content. 60'-70's era. Not particularly bassy like modern EDM. Maybe something with some good saturation qualities and not particularly hi-fi. If you happen to know what Eddie Kramer used then great or if you've recorded similar music and had varying degrees of success then extra great but the amount of dismissive comments is rough to watch. I get it. You've seen and done it all and you want us to know how bored you are with it all. Sweet, hopefully I'll hate music as much as you do one day.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search