The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Remote for Lexicon PCM92 / PCM96?
Old 15th November 2018
Remote for Lexicon PCM92 / PCM96?

Has anyone had luck setting up a MIDI remote for their PCM92 or PCM96? I'm aware a lot of people just use the plugin for control, but my potential purchase of a PCM92 would rely on the ability to have something with faders on-hand at the console. The studio needs to be fully functional with the computer off and away in a corner.

There are a million MIDI controllers with eight faders, so also please feel free to suggest one that is smaller and nicer looking than ye olde BCF2000. I might look in a JL Cooper direction...
Old 21st November 2018
Bump. Wrong forum?
Old 21st November 2018
Lexicon MRC? Those have 4 faders and run midi well.
Old 21st November 2018
Hi Jim! I was looking at that. It's cheap, surely. The MIDI section of the 92 manual is stronger on data dumps than CC info (though it does list the channels) so I am unclear on whether there is LARC implementation -- i.e. whether it is fruitful to have a numerical pad at all. Also I'd like to understand whether the unit can drive moving faders and if anyone has successfully done that.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

there is a 'controller' available for the pmc96s: it's called studer vista and can control parameters from the vistonic screen - a bit expensive though... :-)

maybe you want to talk to some savy folks at harman and ask a few things about their hiqnet?
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Have you thought about using an iPad? Wireless, padded case, check email between takes. I'm using mine just for transport control but I'm sure it could be adapted as a reverb remote.
Old 22nd November 2018
The iPad idea sounds like a good starting point. Maybe a little programmable fader app and a utility box plugged into the WiFi router that has a MIDI out. These things should exist. Otherwise I suppose there could be a way to pull up a plugin instance of the actual controls on a mobile DAW, but something tells me I'd need a real computer on the other end to receive a sync and spit the MIDI.
Old 22nd November 2018
Okay so I looked at the HiQnet stuff, seems like Audio Architect has an iPad app, so the question is whether there is a PCM92 profile for the iPad app, and whether there needs to be an actual computer between the router and the PCM92, or if the app can talk directly to the PCM92. Because that would be super cool.
Old 23rd November 2018
To answer my own question again, there is zero documentation anywhere of anyone using a PCM92 or PCM96 via Audio Architect on a PC, but supposedly it can be done. Connecting directly with a Mac is the simple way, but won't satisfy the remote requirement. Using Motion Control on an iPad linked to Audio Architect does make a remote, but also requires a PC.

Running Audio Architect on a small tablet PC might be the way to go. Alternatively, there are OSX emulators for iPad, so maybe one could be employed to allow the regular Mac GUI to be used.

Last edited by atavacron; 24th November 2018 at 12:37 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search