The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Telefunken M60 FET vs Soyuz SU-013 vs KM184
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunken Lab View Post
The 902 provides cleaner, better regulated power, so while the two supplies don't sound different, the noise floor is lower with the new design. Again, it's an improvement.

I know it's hard to believe that we improved the design and cut the cost, but that's the truth. This is largely due to this now being a shared power supply with our TF29 Copperhead, which means we are ordering parts and building them in larger quantity.

ELA M 260 Master Set costs the same as what a 260 with all capsules cost this time last year. We have not raised the cost, but added a lower cost, Cardioid-only option.

Again, all info about the all five 260 configurations, what is included, and pricing can be found here: https://www.telefunken-elektroakusti...-m-260-at-namm

Best,
James
What is the new specs for the mics self noise with the new psu ? When I ordered the mic in December it was listed as 11 dba self noise ?
Old 14th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaMetzger View Post
What is the new specs for the mics self noise with the new psu ? When I ordered the mic in December it was listed as 11 dba self noise ?
The 11dBA spec refers to the self noise of the microphone amplifier. That figure has not changed.

Our lead designer has informed me we've seen a 6-10dB reduction in the power supply noise floor with the newer 902 and 903 designs when compared to the older 900, 901 and 960 designs.

Last edited by Telefunken Lab; 14th January 2020 at 10:46 PM..
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunken Lab View Post
The 11dBA spec refers to the self noise of the microphone amplifier, that's a little different.

Our lead designer has informed me we've seen a 6-10dB reduction in the power supply noise floor with the newer 902 and 903 designs.
Hey that’s great news , I really appreciate you clearing this up . Just got my mic today and impressed with how neat everything was when I opened it up . Thanks telefunken .
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Hello everyone , just got my ela m260 and there is a hum emitting from the psu that is really loud . I’m not sure what’s wrong with it . A buddy of mine owns a ela m260 also so I asked him to bring his over so we could compare and first thing i noticed was his psu was silent , there was no hum coming off of his m960 psu . Either I have a defective psu or the one they sent me isn’t any good . I did notice the new power supply cost 199$ while the previous one cost 449$ Guess telefunken is starting to lower the cost to make these mics but sell them for the same price.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Probably the power transformer vibrating and/or polluting the audio from the vibration, usually with square EI style transformers as opposed to toroidal. Could be from the lams not being tight/stacked/shellacked right. Not unheard of.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Order this mic in December last year on sale with 200$ off at vintage king audio , and the description showed the older m960 psu that cost 449$ and the new one it ships with only cost 199$
Messaged vintage king and telefunken and neither of them want to take responsibility for disinformation so I guess I kinda feel like I got ripped off . The people over at telefunken were rude to me also over the phone so the experience of buying a higher end mic from telefunken has left a bad taste in my mouth , especially with the amount of noise these cheaper psu they ship with staying in mid January . I don’t think it’s fair to sell me a mic onsale , then change the item description. All in all the value that was advertised in my eyes are not the same as the value I received . Instead of a getting the higher quality psu they send you a flight case that said not included when I made my order in December , but by the time I got my mic in January vintage king and telefunken change their websites and basically told me if I’m not happy then to return it
And I would have to cover shipping . Had the mic less then a week . Bad deal all around .
Hi Joshua,

I'd again like to reiterate that the 902 is an improvement over the 960. The 902 provides cleaner, better regulated power, which equates to a lower noise floor.

We were able to lower the cost by building them in larger quantity, now that the 902 is a shared supply with the TF29 Copperhead. We did not cut cost by cutting quality.

That said, it sounds as though you have an issue with the power transformer, which sometimes happens in shipping. Please contact our repairs department and we will get you a new one.

James
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
The problem I notice with the newer m902 is ac ripple / hum which isn’t a good thing . The newer psu hums quite loud from up to a distance of 8-9 feet away , but worst of all the mic sounds inconsistent from one day to the next where voltage swings are anywhere from 117 volts to -123 volts making it hard to get a consistent sound. It is not uncommon for a mic company to design 90% of the psu to be efficient and cut cost on the remaining 10% . A mic is as good as its psu. James you mention your keeping cost down , the m960 worked with the elam260 and the cu29 but cost 449$ and the TF29 worked with the cheaper m902 psu but only cost 199$ ? Why weren’t you able to keep the consumer price down on the m960 since it worked with 2 mics ? If the cu29 works on the m960 it should work with the m902 same gos for the TF29 should work on both psu correct ? One word China .
The M 960 never shipped with the CU29, Joshua. That model used a different power supply, the M 900. The 960 only ever shipped with the 260, which meant we were using them in very low quantity.

The M 902 is assembled in America, not China.

As previously mentioned, there seems to be an issue with your power transformer, which sometimes happens in shipping. This is not how the unit is supposed to operate. Please contact our repairs department and we will help you.

-James
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search