The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BAE 1073 vs Avalon VT-737SP vs Warm Audio tb12
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Nut
BAE 1073 vs Avalon VT-737SP vs Warm Audio tb12

Hello guys,
i learnt that when it is about music gear, there is not " the best", but different sound, but i think maybe something could be the best for me, or for you.

My question is, what mic pre for vocal could be a good first pick :

BAE1073
AVALON VT 737SP
WARM AUDIO TB12
others ?

( my mic are sm7b and aston origin )
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

All three !
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Nut
Haha good idea ! What could you say about them ?
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Nut
No one ?
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

Avalon since it’s a channel strip that includes a compressor IMO. Then Get a 1073 and run it into the avalon for the compressor and eq. Then get api type pres
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Nut
Thank you, it is a really nice idea, oh and i just noticed there is a 1073 type from warm audio, damn ! I need to look for it !
Old 14th November 2018
The 1073 from Stam audio is MUCH MUCH MUCH Better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJo View Post
Thank you, it is a really nice idea, oh and i just noticed there is a 1073 type from warm audio, damn ! I need to look for it !
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear
Personally I'd start with the BAE 1073, they are beautifully built and you'll of started your recordings with a really professional boutique handmade pre amp.

Worth every penny if you afford it.

Look at the BAE 1073D the EQ on that unit is utterly fantastic.
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
The 1073 from Stam audio is MUCH MUCH MUCH Better!
Oh yeah ? What could you tell me about it ? Any link or audio file ?
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Personally I'd start with the BAE 1073, they are beautifully built and you'll of started your recordings with a really professional boutique handmade pre amp.

Worth every penny if you afford it.

Look at the BAE 1073D the EQ on that unit is utterly fantastic.

Yeah it's a nice idea ! Also i heard that the BAE 1073 sounds nice almost on evrything, could be a nice start

What could you tell me about the BAE 1073 sound ? What should i expect ?
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah it's a nice idea ! Also i heard that the BAE 1073 sounds nice almost on evrything, could be a nice start

What could you tell me about the BAE 1073 sound ? What should i expect ?
the BAE (like the Avedis Audio MA5 or the Aurora Audio GT500 or GTP1) will make your SM7 sing. it's a great combo.

these are quality preamps that you'll keep for a long time and that will have a good resale value. no corners cut.

Cheu

Last edited by cheu78; 15th November 2018 at 06:00 PM..
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello guys,
i learnt that when it is about music gear, there is not " the best", but different sound, but i think maybe something could be the best for me, or for you.

My question is, what mic pre for vocal could be a good first pick :

BAE1073
AVALON VT 737SP
WARM AUDIO TB12
others ?

( my mic are sm7b and aston origin )
From your list, I'd go BAE first.
I've worked with the TB12 on hip-hop vocals and while is a very good sounding pre, I'd rather have a Neve type preamp for vocals, at least for that in-your-face sound we all love.

The 737 on the other hand is a more "transparent" type of pre, from what I've read used a lot by Pharrell Williams on pretty much all of his vocals, and used to be the "standard" along with a U87 for quite a long time in hip-hop circles.

Still, I'd rather have a Neve-style pre for my main vocals and if needed a 737 for backing vocals, acoustic guitar where it shines etc.

I'd also get a nice tube mic for your vocals, to go along your SM7B.
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
the BAE (like the Avedis Audio MA5 or the Aurora Audio GT500 or GTP1) will make your SM7 sing. it's a great combo.

these are quality preamps that you'll keep for a long time and that will have a good resale value. no corners cut.

Cheu
Thank you very much for this answer, i am really conviced now !
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaomega View Post
From your list, I'd go BAE first.
I've worked with the TB12 on hip-hop vocals and while is a very good sounding pre, I'd rather have a Neve type preamp for vocals, at least for that in-your-face sound we all love.

The 737 on the other hand is a more "transparent" type of pre, from what I've read used a lot by Pharrell Williams on pretty much all of his vocals, and used to be the "standard" along with a U87 for quite a long time in hip-hop circles.

Still, I'd rather have a Neve-style pre for my main vocals and if needed a 737 for backing vocals, acoustic guitar where it shines etc.

I'd also get a nice tube mic for your vocals, to go along your SM7B.
Really nice information here, i did not know about the Pharrell Williams story, i will try to find it , U87 + clean signal is almost good evrywhere as i heard

For the last thing, i am about to buy a CU-29 Copperhead pretty soon, i heard a lot of good thing about it, and i heard his sound also , so it could be a great duo
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

If you like boring, then you'll love the Avalon. If you want a very flexible pre and EQ that sound like a lot of the records you know and love, then get the 1073.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Amplification is over rated to be honest.
I own all three of what the OP was asking about and yeah maybe subtle differences, but it’s not like you plug your mic into a preamp and your blown away.
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleep View Post
I own all three of what the OP was asking about and yeah maybe subtle differences, but it’s not like you plug your mic into a preamp and your blown away.
Not trying to say that you are saying something wrong, but i heard that anything in the chain is important, and if you have a cheap thing you will hear the cheap song, for example a great mic in a cheap preamp, do you think it will not be a big difference compared to a great one ? Then my question is why are you buying expensive thing like a preamp 1k if there is not that big difference ?

I have seen this video of a guy making a very cheap mic sound way better in a avalon

with preamp 4:56 - just the mic sound. 11:37

Also i heard that you need a lot of time, a lot of work to see how the preamp is important, it's subtle at the early part, but when you are starting to use a lot of track, and making for example a whole album with it, you will see the difference better. If i am wrong, just tell me :D
Old 16th November 2018
Sorry but this is def NOT true.... a ref c (for example) through a 737 and a 1073 is a night and day difference tone wise! And it’s NOT OVER RATED! Geeezzz the stuff I hear in this forum sometimes....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleep View Post
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

while there's clearly an audible difference between preamps, chosing the right mic and positioning it correctly plus the acoustics of the room, plays a bigger role in the grand scheme of schemes or the end results.

that said a 1073 and a Forssell sound definitely different.. both great imho.

Cheu

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search