The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vintage Neve 1073 Mic Input Transformers
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Vintage Neve 1073 Mic Input Transformers

Hi,

I am set to purchase my first vintage 1073. I have searched prior threads concerning the history of Neve transformers. From prior comments it seems that there are some consistent differences in tone between the various mic input transformers. In general I'm gathering that the Carnhill transformers are the least desirable. However, is there a general preference between Marinair vs St. Ives in the vintage units? Are there any consistent differences in sound that can be attributed to one or the other or just general variability from unit to unit?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Janalex,

I've had the 'pleasure' of working with a variety of 10xx series modules with a variety of transformers.

Honestly, the differences are subtle between Ives and Marinair transformers, and one or the other does not mean 'perfect' or not. The difference is more noticeable when one is hyper-focusing on a key element - say, vocals, or using summing amps.

A much larger difference is making sure that original transistor-ed opamps and the *correct capacitors* are still in placed. A recap without the correct series of capacitors will change the entire tonality of the amplifier. It's a major thing.

But, anyways,

I like the St Ives 'green box' ones. They are not as 'extended' to my ears as the Marinair transformers are - just in apparent sonics, although frequency sweeps are still beyond 20-20k. They have a little more 'low mid punchy biggering' thing going on, which is the whole magic in the golden age Neve stuff anyways.

Then again - experience is key - what you may like and connect with as an engineer might not be my experience.

The difference is slight but I dig the 'dark green' St Ives input transformers.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks so much for your reply. I will be sure to also confirm that any recap was limited to the electrolytics and the signal and coupling caps have not been altered.

Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search