The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best translating speakers for EDM: Opal Event or Neumann KH310 or others ?? Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Best translating speakers for EDM: Opal Event or Neumann KH310 or others ??

Hi,

I am hesitating between those speakers. I am doing house music, techno and EDM tracks.

My goal is to get the best translation: I am hesitating between the Opal Events or the Neumann KH310, or other advice are welcome.

Into a treated room + sonarworks.

Again, the goal is best translating mixes.

Your advice is welcome.

Cheers

Sergio
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I would throw in a sub
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

You should listen to them both and see which you prefer. Also consider pmc two.two 6
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage.One View Post
I would throw in a sub
Never had the feeling I needed a sub with the Opals, but that was in my room. Amazing monitors, but I wouldn’t buy them new at this point. I’m not sure if Event is going to support them for the duration of the warranty, it’s awfully silent over there.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
How about JBL 708p!? I know it’s very subjective, but some people claim they are better than many, way more expensive, monitors. I have never heard them before, and thinking of demoing a pair in my room. Have to see with one of my dealers to get both 705p and 708p.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hi,

I am hesitating between those speakers. I am doing house music, techno and EDM tracks.

My goal is to get the best translation: I am hesitating between the Opal Events or the Neumann KH310, or other advice are welcome.

Into a treated room + sonarworks.

Again, the goal is best translating mixes.

Your advice is welcome.

Cheers

Sergio
Translation is a matter of different factors imho.
Well treated room, interaction between the room and the loudspeakers, and more importantly "knowing" or "learning" your monitors of choice well.

That said, everybody has its taste in monitors, but for me the ones that I could trust blindly, (and with that I mean that also when I traveled in other rooms I know what results I'm getting without any surprises) are the ATC's.

Not inexpensive, but they're all build in house, all drivers included, they have a very high quality, but most importantly you get the balance right quickly, and you are able to spot the issues that are really issues and they translate great on any other systems. No surprises. No ear fatigue.

To me this is priceless, so even if they're not the cheapest ones, they deliver a tremendous performance that also saves a lot of time (which in the end is money or invaluable time spent with your loved ones).

I own the scm25, some ppl doesn't like them that much, I do believe it's a fantastic loudspeaker. The scm45 are impressive as well, and for EDM both are a great fit (depending on the size of the room).

ATC 110 and 200 are also fantastic if you soffit mount them, but I believe you're looking for something different, smaller. One of the few mains where you could mix an entire record on them.

Maybe you could find a used pair of scm25 or 100 or 150 for a great price (I believe the 45 might be to new, more difficult to source used at a nice price).

I'm aware that these fall in another price category then the two you mentioned, but you didn't mention any budget or price restrictions.
The kh310 is a nice monitor and for the price are really good, although if you could fit them I'd go for the kh420 instead, but at that price you might end up with a pair of atc's..

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 1 week ago
A room that's flat will make more of a difference. Or maybe a pair of open back headphones. The low end is super important and must be uncolored, otherwise the speakers don't matter. put a mic in front of your speakers and play a sinewave sweep from 20-20. you can get one on waves site. look up IR convolution sweep. Check the lumpy spots in your daw. Listen back. hear just how inaccurate your room is. When that's pretty flat, worry about monitors. If you don't thinkg you have the resources to correct the issue, use open back headphones for the lows and some small speakers for the midrange. Auratones?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search