The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Barefoot MM35 discontinued
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Barefoot MM35 discontinued

Anyone know why the MM35 are discontinued?
Old 9th November 2018
Gear Head

mm45 + sub extension fills the price range probably
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear

Probably had something to do with the footprints doing so well. I saw a LOT of used MM35's going up for sale when they first came out, I would bet a fair number of people went down to the footprints and bought a nice mic with the extra money...
Old 9th November 2018
I think the MM45's are a design improvement over the MM35's as when they updated the other monitors, they put this same improvements in their lower cost monitors. They probably sound better or just as good along with their lower costs.
Barefoot MM45 |
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear

Barefoot Sound >> MicroMain35

If you compare the specs on paper, the footprints are very similar if not better than the MM35's. Again, maybe they thought the Footprint sales were going to hurt the 35's? I don't have a lot of experience with MM35's (Only heard them on showroom floors a handful of times), but I worked on MM27's for 5 years and have owned the footprints for close to a year now. The Footprints sound fantastic, but the mid woofer and tweeter share an amp and as a result it's the first pair of barefoots where I could really hear the crossover on them.

All that to say, IMO it was a bad idea to discontinue the MM35's on account of the Footprints. I think there are plenty of people that would still pay the extra money for the MM35's, even if the spec were pretty much the same on paper. I don't think the MM45's can replace the MM35's. It's a different design and they sounded quite different to me. Not a bad speaker by any means, but didn't remind me of barefoot with that punchy low end. I've not heard them with the new side mounted sub system though, so I think that could have something to do with the MM35's being discontinued. I think you can get the MM45's and the new Subsystem for the same price as the MM35's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search