The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tame Impala Specifics Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Head

Tame Impala Specifics

Theres a lot of speculation on this around the web: TapeOp paywalls, dead links, etc... I was wondering for a while and finally just researched it for myself.

The outboard on a stack on the floor from Lonerism:

Pre - Sony SRA-3
Pre - Chandler TG-2
Pre - Bellari RP503
DI - Seymour Duncan KTG-1
EQ - UREI 546
Comp/Gate - dbx 166XL
Comp - dbx 165A
Time Based - RE-201
Mixer/Pre/Comp - Shure SE-30

As far as pre-production workflow my best guess is:

Drums:
1/2 - Kick/Snare
SM-57/ Sennheiser 421
Chandler TG-2
UREI 546
DBX 166XL

3 - Overhead
Rode K2
Sony SRA-3

3 channels summed to mono in Shure SE-30
to dbx165A

Bass/ Guitar/ Juno/ Pro One:
Seymour Duncan KTG-1

Vocals:
Sennheiser MD 441
Bellari RP503
Re-201

Last edited by camadair; 7th November 2018 at 10:39 AM..
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Kevin loves s bit of lofi action.

I think he upgraded a few bits of kit for “Currents”.

Love his work and find him genuinely inspirational and inkovative
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Head

Currents pre-pro had some additions given budget: vari-mu and exciter on 2bus. The workflow is super resourceful/ inspiring.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

As far as Kev goes. Forget the gear, even though he does have some cool stuff and this is Gearslutz .

It's his approach. A lot of committing to sounds when recording. Currents is driving a pair of Neves on the 2 buss via a Roll Music Folcrom.

Real drums with all kinds of samples and trickery added. Bass with lots of reverb. Usually just doing what you're not meant to in some way.
Kind of the opposite of this section.

PS a lot of his gear is total grotbox stuff, like SE-30, SRA-3 etc.
The kind of stuff you find trawling OZ ebay for retro.
Heavy use of Quad 8 pres. He has a quad 8 desk now.
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Head

Yeah, Im talking about the actual drum/ signal paths though. Theres a lot of bs about it online. My guess is probably 90% accurate. Posting the actual signal chains for currents would be slightly more difficult.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Hard to say what's what. To me, it sounds like the vocals could also be TG-2 combined with the Space Echo and some other type of saturation. I would also guess both are probably used on some guitars by the sounds of things.

To me, most of the bass sounds like flatwounds with quite a bit of compression. I have gotten similar sounds by slamming an LA2A and 1176 using shortscale basses with flats.

Personally, I really thought the sound on Currents was a step down from Lonerism. It's a lot cleaner but not in a good way.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camadair View Post
Yeah, Im talking about the actual drum/ signal paths though. Theres a lot of bs about it online. My guess is probably 90% accurate. Posting the actual signal chains for currents would be slightly more difficult.
Oh that's easy.

Innerspeaker:D190 snare mic side of shell, 57 outside kick dead center, Single condenser OH (doesn't really matter what)

Compress snare mic heavy and compress OH fairly heavy as well.

No hard rule because he like most people tries different things on each song.

Lonerism: Same as above, MD421 side snare, 57 top, 57 kick, K2 OH (doesn't matter too much again)

Currents: Same as above, bit more high end gear and samples used on every track.

It's his playing style, committing to the sound while recording and general production approach.

He'd tell you himself it's not the gear. He has a lot of it, uses whatever he feels like and isn't tied to one thing of approach. No special chain.
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Oh that's easy.

Innerspeaker:D190 snare mic side of shell, 57 outside kick dead center, Single condenser OH (doesn't really matter what)

Compress snare mic heavy and compress OH fairly heavy as well.

No hard rule because he like most people tries different things on each song.

Lonerism: Same as above, MD421 side snare, 57 top, 57 kick, K2 OH (doesn't matter too much agai
Thanks
I think the drums all summed to mono in the shure and then to the 165a is what inwas trying to figure out before i started going frame by frame on the videos zooming the browser window in etc...
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camadair View Post
Thanks
I think the drums all summed to mono in the shure and then to the 165a is what inwas trying to figure out before i started going frame by frame on the videos zooming the browser window in etc...
Yeah usually always mono but there are some tracks with stereo. I don't think they're summed to mono at the recording stage. Comp and Eq are committed but he does leave some options open for mix time. Some sounds are 1 mic drums and samples. A shortcut to a very similar sound is just to do the Wurst mic technique with a 57 and compress the dick out of it. Add samples and you get that lofi with clear kick and snare thing.

It always makes me laugh about how people love the sound of Tame Impala and their related projects (not that I don't.) They mix on headphones, record in untreated rooms, use dynamic mics for vocals, use stock ableton plugs, use garageband on phones etc.

Imperfect material that gets mixed and mastered pro. Comes out sounding great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search