The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ELOP+ as an all around tracking comp/limiter Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 5th November 2018
Gear Nut
ELOP+ as an all around tracking comp/limiter

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at an ELOP+ for general tracking purposes and was hoping to get some more first hand info than what I've found already. I've listened to clips online but nothing is the same as trying it yourself, which I'm unable to do.

Who has one and what do you use it for? What does it do for you? What does it sound like? Does it hype the high end? How does it compare to say the opto mode on a Distressor which I'm familiar with?
Old 5th November 2018
It’s not quite an all rounder and I wouldn’t want it as my only option, but it works well on many things. It definitely doesn’t hype the high end at all. Doesn’t sound like a distressor in opto mode to me. Can help add heft and depth to a source. I love it on guitars and bass, some vocals. I have read good things using on mixbuss but I tend to keep the Vari Mu or SSL on that.
Old 6th November 2018
The general sound of the circuit is neutral and frequency balanced, bit slightly colored overall; it doesn’t take anything away and it stays relatively true to the source with a little softening embellishment.

Being an opto, it generally sounds a lot ‘riding the fader’, the goal is for it to be natural and rounding out the transients in a non obvious way, where something like most FET comps would make things a lot more forward and harder sounding. It’s more flexible than an la-2a which people love, so while it’s not for everything it is more of a workhorse than not.
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

i had access to one for a short time a couple years ago. used it on a lot of sources and it was pretty cool. bass and vocal was where i found the coolest vibe of the unit. often times paired with an 1176 on the vocal, though

really cool box, but unsure how much mileage you'll get out of it on its own.
Old 9th November 2018
Gear Nut
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search