The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choosing mains question (latest PMC model) Boundary Microphones
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Addict

Choosing mains question (latest PMC model)

I am in the process of getting gear for my new room. My goal is to get a high end production/mixing enviro. I've had my eyes on PMC MB3 xbd-a. I haven't heard that recent model but I have worked on other PMC mains and really liked them. My only question is why are they so expensive. I would be able to afford the 80k monitors but then I look at ADAM, Barefoot, Dynaudio, Augsburgers etc offerings that all stay within 50k. Can someone experienced chime in and give me an understanding what that extra 30k is giving or not giving me.

Obviously I am gonna try before buy but would appreciate your thoughts. My second option to try out are the Adam S7 MKIIs (anyone using these?).
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

longtime user (35 years) of large cabinets (augspurger/tad, tannoy etc) here:

imo these high dollar prices are ridiculous.

while there is no doubt that many pmc speakers sound pretty good, i rather suggest spending enough on studio design/room treatment AND use external analyzers/dsp (such as smaart/rev and lake) or poweramps with massive built-in dsp capacity (from powersoft or lake/lab gruppen):
this lets you punch way ABOVE the class even with 'medium priced' systems...
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolP View Post
I am in the process of getting gear for my new room. My goal is to get a high end production/mixing enviro. I've had my eyes on PMC MB3 xbd-a. I haven't heard that recent model but I have worked on other PMC mains and really liked them. My only question is why are they so expensive. I would be able to afford the 80k monitors but then I look at ADAM, Barefoot, Dynaudio, Augsburgers etc offerings that all stay within 50k. Can someone experienced chime in and give me an understanding what that extra 30k is giving or not giving me.

Obviously I am gonna try before buy but would appreciate your thoughts. My second option to try out are the Adam S7 MKIIs (anyone using these?).
I would have the same quetion. They always brag about their so called ATL technology, but isn't it just a reflex port design? I mean it's in the text book! not some new invention at all...They emphasis on this simple tech so much, that I think they don't even have real tech at all. The mid dome is also learned from ATC.

I think PMC is really overpriced.
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Maniac

I agree... Way over-priced. Their TwoTwo8 is one of the best nearfields I’ve experienced, but beyond that, I’d look elsewhere, due to price. The one over-priced mains I’d consider would be Meyer’s Bluehorn!
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

You could get ATC 110's for around $19,000, and optionally add some 15" ATC subs for another $8,000 each and have a pretty killer setup for way cheaper...
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

They are overpriced because they are heavily marked up. Shop and bargain (and quite frankly, skip through the dealer to directly PMC in your country). The “discounted” price is a lot lower for the IB and up models. Far lower than i’ve seen any other company do. It’s like some weird game. I’ve had a dealer tell me that they don’t even promote the PMCs (larger models) because the minute they have someone interested, PMC can and will offer them the model at a much lower price than the dealer can.

As for bass reflex vs transmission line. Those are two different principles for how (in an ideal system) they work.
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
They are overpriced because they are heavily marked up. Shop and bargain (and quite frankly, skip through the dealer to directly PMC in your country). The “discounted” price is a lot lower for the IB and up models. Far lower than i’ve seen any other company do. It’s like some weird game. I’ve had a dealer tell me that they don’t even promote the PMCs (larger models) because the minute they have someone interested, PMC can and will offer them the model at a much lower price than the dealer can.

As for bass reflex vs transmission line. Those are two different principles for how (in an ideal system) they work.
ok. PMC hit me up with that deal
Old 4th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Errr... Still way overpriced directly from PMC. The Studio I work out of were considering some.

Nobody mentions the Ocean Way HR-3 with the additional dual-10s, but one of the best experiences for me. I still long for them! The HR-3.5 and HR-4 aren’t nearly the same experience.

Unfortunately, we couldn’t really fit them in the room, so runner-up was ATC 150s with a pair of Subwoofer Pro 18s; mostly for client-formiliarity. But as I said, I think Meyer’s Bluehorn takes the cake!
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

The studio I work at went all PMC to go with the acoustics. Using the PMC MB3 xbd-a here.

Good speaker, but way overpriced especially compared to ATC.
Old 4th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
The studio I work at went all PMC to go with the acoustics. Using the PMC MB3 xbd-a here.

Good speaker, but way overpriced especially compared to ATC.
I was in two of your mastering studios at 301 like 7-8 years ago. Could have been my first PMC encounter although back then I was impressed with your other mastering studio setup including the old KRK's with a sub. Thought the highs were amazing
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search