The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Presonus ADL 600
Old 10th May 2007
Lives for gear

Presonus ADL 600

Has anyone bought this unit? How nice is it? Which applications are great with it? The merchants here say it gives your vocalrecordings that warm amercan soulsound, right?
Old 10th May 2007
Gear Addict

I have the ADL 600, and I would describe its sound as cleanish, thick, ballsy, and a tad agressive. [I've used it with ribbon mics and dynamic mics; I've not yet used it with a condenser. Though I look forward to trying it with my AKG 414's since one poster said it made his 414 sound like U47!]I'm not sure I would describe it as particularly warm, though it's certainly not cold or anything. I'm interested in a different sound than you, but I bet you you could get a great old-time soul sound out of the unit. Also, it definitely delivers a sound that can cut through in a mix...
Old 10th May 2007
Gear Maniac

Great !!

I have this unit end it's amazing, I love it !!!
I use for tracking synth, sampler, electric guitar end flamenco guitar by Audiotechnica AT4040. I work in chill-flamenco and this unit has give me a new dimension of open, wider, rich, dynamic and 3D sound.
I'll reccomend for all applications and instruments.
Now I'm look for to replace the first valve stage, the crap Ruby 12AT7 with sometinghs better as Telefunken, GE, Tesla...
Old 10th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoniA View Post
Now I'm look for to replace the first valve stage, the crap Ruby 12AT7 with sometinghs better as Telefunken
Those are killer!
also try Brimar black plate, RCA blackplate and/or any of the JAN NOS tubes...
Old 15th October 2008
hey
Here for the gear

I bought ADL600 a couple of weeks ago. I took it out of the box and one of the LED meters was not working so I had to send it back to RODE who's the distributor of Presonus product in Australia. It's been more than a week but they have not even looked at it yet. A little bit disappointing.
Old 15th October 2008
I've had an ADL 600 for a few months now and it's a very nice pre. The build quality is outstanding, in particular. The sound is somewhat clean (I'm comparing it to a Great River ME-1NV and a Phoenix Audio DRS-2). The DRS is closer to my idea of soul though (as much soul as a piece of gear can possess). If you don't have a good pre, though, look for an ADL used, they go for real cheap. In the end a good pre is a good pre. Don't expect miracles. If it doesn't sound like soul something isn't happening in the room. Hope this helps.
Old 15th October 2008
I've had one for a few years now, it's a great pre, it's been very reliable, you can darken
things up with the impedance selector , the line inputs are great for adding something to a sample and the di sounds really good.
Old 15th October 2008
Gear Head

weve had one for a year or two now. its an ok utility preamp i don't think its anything special. the great river gets used a hell of a lot more often. the adl 600 is usually used for toms and things like that when its the last preamp left in the studio
Old 15th October 2008
Here for the gear

ADL600 with a U47 FET on spanish guitars thumbsupthumbsup
Old 18th October 2008
Here for the gear

I have one of these and I've found a lot of folks forget about the gain structuring available on this pre, or at least don't notice to begin with how it is structured internally. It goes from a clean sound to much colored. This pre may require a final outboard trim if you try to drive both input and output sections for coloration. It can easily overload ADC's with the headroom that it has available.

The input gain is settable in 5db increments. The trim (+ and - 10db) controls what is going into the output stage without affecting the gain you set on the input circuitry.

Like someone else said earlier, this preamp can add a 3-D sense of depth and warmth to material.

It has impedance selection at the input which is nice, and I've found that the impedance this preamp is driving into can affect the resulting sound. This is a "range of color" preamp IMO, but can be very clean at the one end of the range.

This pre is not a so simple tool.

As always, if you can audition one to see if it fits in for what you want you are so much better off.

For me, I like this preamp for what it is and certainly don't regret the purchase.

Ha. I see the original post was over 1 year ago. Someone else picked up the thread again and it took another run. I hope someone finds what I've said here to be useful.
Old 19th October 2008
Gear Guru

ADL 600 did nothing for me, oh yeah it did microphonic a lot.
Old 19th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
ADL 600 did nothing for me, oh yeah it did microphonic a lot.
For that you just replace some tubes. Don't fault the piece.
Old 19th October 2008
Lives for gear

One of my favorite and most useful pieces I've got...... highly recommended.... works great on a wide variety of things...
Old 19th October 2008
Lives for gear

Adl 600

Hey AndrewJ,
This piece is incredible! I just picked it up for my studio and it shines on Overheads, Guitars, and even vocals. I do alot fo hip hop projects so we recently started tracking through this unit...OMG fat sound is all i can say! for the 1900 USD youll pay you wont regret it. I own avalon, chameleon labs, api and several other high end pres and this by far is holding its place amongst the others.

Regards,
Old 22nd October 2008
Gear Nut

The ADL600 is my single favorite piece of gear in my home studio. My Great River pre just sits there, feeling dejected...
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarhak View Post
The ADL600 is my single favorite piece of gear in my home studio. My Great River pre just sits there, feeling dejected...
I got one about half a year ago based on the advice of others here.. and I find the opposite to be true. My GR is used more than the ADL. I find the GR to be more 3D...
And the DI is definetley ballsier..At first i didn't want to believe it, you know you've got this brand new piece, nice lights, vu meters, etc.. but you can lie to your ears only for so long..
in comparison its more thin and not as ballsy as the GR. Its detailed, yes, but it sounds so to me bc of the apparent thin(ness)..
Old 22nd October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umlaaat View Post
I got one about half a year ago based on the advice of others here.. and I find the opposite to be true. My GR is used more than the ADL. I find the GR to be more 3D...
And the DI is definetley ballsier..At first i didn't want to believe it, you know you've got this brand new piece, nice lights, vu meters, etc.. but you can lie to your ears only for so long..
in comparison its more thin and not as ballsy as the GR. Its detailed, yes, but it sounds so to me bc of the apparent thin(ness)..
I own a bunch of API's, Focusrite ISA 110's, Daking 52270's, Amek CIB's and the ADL, and the Oram Al Schmitt channel there is nothing thin sounding about an ADL 600, you want to hear thin try an Avalon AD2022, I haven't A /B'ed with with the Great River, but the ADL is a quality piece.
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Listen.....I have other high end gear...this unit out the box is a monster.... as the writer above says nothing thin about this unit. Worth every penny! Ive tracked vox, guitar, synths its a workhorse and then I run everything through it on the way out for conditioning............Great piece! I am thinking of picking up another.
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think we are talking about two different beast.....Both these units are great for the right application. It comes down to preference
Old 22nd October 2008
Lives for gear

have you guys a/b'd it with a GR? Of course EVERYTHING is subjective, but to ME, its thinner..

Re someone who said to change the tubes... did you find this helped? bc i'm thinking of selling this unit to get seomthing ballsier..
Old 23rd October 2008
Quote:
have you guys a/b'd it with a GR? Of course EVERYTHING is subjective, but to ME, its thinner..

Re someone who said to change the tubes... did you find this helped? bc i'm thinking of selling this unit to get seomthing ballsier..
I am using it with the stock tubes and think is sounds great. I may try swapping out just to see the difference.

Why would you sell this? Its one of the best stereo tube pres for the money.
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

How much do you want for it?
Old 23rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjim View Post
I am using it with the stock tubes and think is sounds great. I may try swapping out just to see the difference.

Why would you sell this? Its one of the best stereo tube pres for the money.
yea, thats what i thought originally.. mebbe its the mic im using with it (peluso 2247le)... mebbe its too much tube going on.. but on vocals, as a drum room mic, drum overheads, its just thinner than the GR..
ideally, i want to keep it. i dont wanna go thru the bull**** of selling it and trying out new pres etc.. if its as simple as swaping out tubes, than i'm all for it, but i've heard mixed reviews for that as well.. ideally, i want something to complement the GR, something detailed used primarily for vocals.. and im used to the girth the GR provides... so i'm looking into either vintagedesign or bae
Old 23rd October 2008
Quote:
yea, thats what i thought originally.. mebbe its the mic im using with it (peluso 2247le)... mebbe its too much tube going on.. but on vocals, as a drum room mic, drum overheads, its just thinner than the GR..
ideally, i want to keep it. i dont wanna go thru the bull**** of selling it and trying out new pres etc.. if its as simple as swaping out tubes, than i'm all for it, but i've heard mixed reviews for that as well.. ideally, i want something to complement the GR, something detailed used primarily for vocals.. and im used to the girth the GR provides... so i'm looking into either vintagedesign or bae
try changing the impedance on the ADL
Old 24th October 2008
Gear Guru

There is a million threads of the 600 on GS, search and ye shall find.
Old 24th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
try changing the impedance on the ADL
i have it at 1500 ohms for the peluso, but when i switch, the sound gets grainier nad not as detailed.
Old 24th October 2008
Quote:
i have it at 1500 ohms for the peluso, but when i switch, the sound gets grainier nad not as detailed.
Then I would say for you the GR is a better match with your Peluso. I use my 2247 with
the ADL 600 into a tubetech CL1b and it works really nicely for me
Old 24th October 2008
Gear Guru

Buzz, Hardy and GML are so much better than the ADL, besides i think Presonus can do better on the looks of their gear.
Old 27th October 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:

I have a/b'd my ADL600 against the GR over and over -- and except for DI'd bass and electric guitar -- the ADL wins every time. I think they are tied when it comes to electric guitars -- the GR has a bit of iron in its sound -- sometimes I like that, sometimes I don't. The GR is better for tracking bass direct. In fact, I get the most awesome bass sound by tracking with the GR through an old Symetrix 501, then conditioning that track with the ADL600 through a Portico 5043 on Feed Forward.

Most of what I record is acoustic-based, and the ADL is simply better for that. It doesn't sound at all thin to me -- that comment surprises me. The ADL seems to make the sound a bit bigger and more 3D, in fact. I like the GR when I am looking for a flatter and more aggresive sound. However, I would hate to use the GR on everything (though I know many do). The ADL I could use on everything, and sometimes I do!
Old 27th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarhak View Post
The ADL seems to make the sound a bit bigger and more 3D, in fact. I like the GR when I am looking for a flatter and more aggresive sound. !

This has been my experience between ADL600 and the Pacifica. The ADl on vocals acoustic instruments is more open/detailed/tad bigger than my pacifica -but a little brighter which may give impression of thinness- so I turn down the impedance using LDC to 900.

I generally use Pacifica for more focused aggressive sounds like electric guitar.

Quote: "Buzz, Hardy and GML are so much better than the ADL, besides i think Presonus can do better on the looks of their gear." All ABout Tone

Why are Buzz, Hardy and GML "so much better than ADL"- this is a bit of a banal statement no. What aspects/characteristics of the pre-amps you talking about, in what context of the music/arrangement.

"I think Presonus can do better on the looks of their gear" - you joking right-the ADL 600 not a great looking piece-man you are raking the bottom of the barrel for material to post.

We get it -you do not like open detailed airy tube gear and prefer the API/solid state concentrated grit.

Each to their own

GJ
Newcastle/OZ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search