The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presonus ADL 600
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Maniac

Personally i had very bad experience with an Adl700.
The first one after a month the unit had a very bad hiss/noise in the signal (even changing tubes didn't help).
I waited like 4 Months for repair..
After that they sended me a new unit. On this one the power switch broke after using it like 10 times, it just didn't turn on anymore.
I was so frustrated i changed it for a Great River Me-1nv.
These preamps are build like a tank and will last a lifetime
But the sound of the Adl700 was really really good.
Maybe i had bad luck and i had bad units
Old 22nd July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I have had mine for over a year. I really like it.

I use it on fingerstyle acoustic guitar with a Neumann KM184 and Mojave MA-200 and really like it (usually on a nylon string Taylor, a 1950s small bodied Martin and a 60s Gibson J-45). It also gets used on vocals with a Mojave MA-201.

It doesn't have the color of my older UA 610 (the rack one), but it does have a very solid sound.

To get a two channel preamp of this quality for what I paid I'm very happy.
Old 25th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hi,

I Love my Presonus ADL-600

It's over a decade old now, it works, and sounds like a charm, I also use it to warm up digital synth sounds. It is a great sounding Stereo Mic/Line Tube Pre Amp. and looks super classy

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Old 25th July 2016
Now that they dont make the ADL anymore, the Pendulum Audio pre and Quartet are the gear you should look at if you want a similar character of clean, detail, wonderful top end and gentle smoothness.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Now that they dont make the ADL anymore, the Pendulum Audio pre and Quartet are the gear you should look at if you want a similar character of clean, detail, wonderful top end and gentle smoothness.
For WAY more than Presonus used to do it for
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Now that they dont make the ADL anymore,
Actually, they are still making the ADL600. It is a discontinued product from the dealers, but Presonus Direct is selling the ADL600 right now on their eBay store. If anybody is interested in getting one, they were selling them for $850 shipped w/warranty, so I have no reason to believe they would not part with the one they currently have listed for something close to that.
Old 25th July 2016
Gear Maniac

In Germany even the dealers are still selling them, like thomann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral Guitar View Post
Actually, they are still making the ADL600. It is a discontinued product from the dealers, but Presonus Direct is selling the ADL600 right now on their eBay store. If anybody is interested in getting one, they were selling them for $850 shipped w/warranty, so I have no reason to believe they would not part with the one they currently have listed for something close to that.

That's quite the deal..

www.waltzmastering.com
Gear Addict

Quote:
Where are they $850? Or was that an older price? Currently $1395 for refurbished from the Presonus Direct eBay store.
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear

if the adl600 was made by a small boutique company it would have been twice the money. some of these smaller companies should merge and hopefully bring down cost. perhaps even turn a profit.
Old 25th July 2016
Gear Maniac

In europe the price dropped like 400 bucks

They were more expensive a few years ago
Adl600 & Adl700
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMulcahy View Post
Where are they $850? Or was that an older price? Currently $1395 for refurbished from the Presonus Direct eBay store.
The price was $850, and they sold a bunch of units at that price. It is now $1395 or Best Offer, so I'd suggest making an offer and see what they say.
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear

When I got mine they were still $2295 but I had found one for $1500 on eBay many years back (first production run). Never regretted that purchase. Then Zzounds were blowing out the ADL 700 for $999 so I bought up two of those not too long ago before they were discontinued. These things are worth the price at $2K but for $850 or $1300 that is amazing deal for them. Wonderful preamps on acoustic guitar, overheads and drum room.
Lives for gear

Hey Shatz, did you retube yours or are you good with the stock tubes?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Hey Shatz, did you retube yours or are you good with the stock tubes?
I did put new tubes in them. Just regular JJ's with low microphonics. To me it cleaned up the sound even more than the stock Ruby tubes they put in there. Haven't tried anything other than the JJ tubes.
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear

Definitely change the tubes. It's a very noisy preamp with the stock tubes, IMO. I also put in JJ tubes and it's much better.

If you're having microphonics, put some rubber grommets above and below the main PCB on each mounting screw (it's a mod that the factory started doing later in production, so you may have these already).
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear

Never had any problems with noise with the stock tubes, they were just very old tubes and was just curious what new tubes would sound like. But, didn't have any problems with noise or microphonics on my unit.
Old 26th July 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
The price was $850, and they sold a bunch of units at that price. It is now $1395 or Best Offer, so I'd suggest making an offer and see what they say.
Thanks very much. They wouldn't go much lower than the BIN price, so ended up grabbing one of the remaining ADL 700's from zzounds. If it really blows my hair back, I may hunt down another one.
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Maniac

The ADL 600 makes my cheap condenser mics sound cheap, and higher quality mics sound outstanding. It's great with an SM57 or 58.
📝 Reply