The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Spendor SA300's need replacing after 22 years of incredible service Studio Monitors
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Addict

My Spendor SA300's need replacing after 22 years of incredible service

With a heavy heart, I am doing the right thing and putting my Spendor SA300's out to pasture. I really have loved these monitors. I have used them every single day for 22 years. They have been through everything with me, moving to a new country, raising children. They are the only bit of equipment that has remained within my possession throughout my journey of discovery.

Given the passion that I hold for them, be it deluded or not, I wonder what is out there to replace them.

I have 3-4k budget to spend which isn't the most in the world i Know.
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Addict

Check out the new Harbeth line ... similar signature sound

Legacy is also very nice if you're US based.

or slip the script to move into an ATC system
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Guru

I recently put my LSR's out to pasture after close to 15 years. (maybe more....i forget. LOL) Replaced them with 708P's. And I don't regret losing the old friends for a second. The 708P's are absolutely fantastic. What a huge step forward. Speaker design has skyrocketed in the last decade. Amazing stuff out there these days.....

Good luck on your search.
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loji View Post
Check out the new Harbeth line ... similar signature sound

Legacy is also very nice if you're US based.

or slip the script to move into an ATC system
Spencer Hughes owned Spendor, and his son Derek worked for Harbeth, but anyways, both companies were founded by BBC engineers.

To the OP: Harbeth 30.1 or 40.2 should be the upgrade you're looking at, but you need to reevaluate your budget. The 30.1 sell for about $6500 and will not go as low as your beloved Spendors.

PS: Here is Derek Harbeth, Spencer's son talking about some of his collaborations. Apparently he's more like a freelancer now, also has his own company(Derek Hughes Audio Services). Since both of his parents passed away, he's the only link left from Spendor, I suppose.

Interview with designer Derek Hughes about the Graham Audio BBC LS5/9 monitors on Vimeo

Last edited by AndreiPiatra; 31st October 2018 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: details added
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks for the suggestions, my local music tech shop lent me some Neuman 310's but compared to the Spendors they are leaving me feeling lost down the bottom end. ive got 24hrs left on the loan, I heard these with a sub in another studio and it was then they sounded more like the Spendors - I don't want to spend even more money on a sub though when my 22 year old 2 ways could deliver that experience as one
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect1 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, my local music tech shop lent me some Neuman 310's but compared to the Spendors they are leaving me feeling lost down the bottom end. ive got 24hrs left on the loan, I heard these with a sub in another studio and it was then they sounded more like the Spendors - I don't want to spend even more money on a sub though when my 22 year old 2 ways could deliver that experience as one
May I suggest the ATC SCM20 ASL Pro? I have one of the older models, quite superb, but again, not as low as your Spendors, though you can hear down to 45-50Hz (flat down to 60Hz). This would also fit your budget, otherwise, you'll have to lower the expectations or head to the classified section here.

PS: The Neumann 310 goes down to 34Hz, Spendors down to 45Hz, so there was probably something wrong outside the speakers since you already tested them at your location.
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Addict

You see this is the thing. The Spendors have this ability to push the air in a way that the bass feels incredibly solid, almost like the cabinets were made of lead. These Neumans even though they are rated with better specs just do not do that at all. I don't get it
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect1 View Post
You see this is the thing. The Spendors have this ability to push the air in a way that the bass feels incredibly solid, almost like the cabinets were made of lead. These Neumans even though they are rated with better specs just do not do that at all. I don't get it
You really do need to test those ATCs that I mentioned previously. After this comment you'll understand exactly why. Fantastic engineering.
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Good bass extension doesn't necessarily mean you'll hear what's going on down there okay. I often find it easier to judge changes to the bottom end on a pair of NS10s than I do many other monitors I find out and about in studios, which I believe is because of the time response.

SCM20s aren't exactly party speakers when it comes to bass, but the bottom end is extremely articulated and detailed and they do go very deep. I've just come back from tracking at Livingston Studio 1 where they have a huge pair of Augspurgers + 18" subs and yet I had so much more clarity in the bass from my SCM20s on the meter bridge than the mains...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search