The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shelford pair vs RND 500 collection Studio Headphones
Old 27th October 2018
Here for the gear

Shelford pair vs RND 500 collection

Hi All
I have the opportunity to upgrade, and decadent as it seems, Id like to get some Neve outboard, both for tracking and mix buss/mastering of my own work and also potential sessions.
Something fabulous that I can grow into, and will give me as much use across the board.
So I'm considering either 6 x 500 series - 2x511 / 2x551 / 2x535,
Or, 2 x Shelford Channels.

This is a big investment for me, and Id really appreciate any advice from anyone that has used either or all of these units and any comparisons.

Thanks alot!
Old 27th October 2018
Lives for gear

get yourself a pair of Portico 2 channels. way more flexible if you are looking for something to use at any stage of the recording, mixing and mastering process.
Old 27th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
get yourself a pair of Portico 2 channels. way more flexible if you are looking for something to use at any stage of the recording, mixing and mastering process.
Thanks for getting back. Yes, Ive been checking out the Portico, but wonder if Id miss the colour the Shelford can deliver?
Old 27th October 2018
Lives for gear

have not used the shelford. the P2 is a very solid, firm and clear (not clean) preamp. once you start using the silk function, it can really sound like a totally different pre. it does the fat vintage thing very well, too.
Old 28th October 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies - I guess I was wondering if the 500 collection would give me much the same scope for shaping - particularly in post - as the P2. And I'd be 1K better off :-)
Old 28th October 2018
I like my 511 pres, haven't had any problems with them, they are beautiful sounding, I think for my tastes the shelford would have too much colour, personally I'd rather have the versatility of the 500 series with the extra compressors and EQ's, I doubt you'd regret it.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search