The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dramastic Obsidian vs Wes Dione
Old 26th October 2018
Here for the gear

Dramastic Obsidian vs Wes Dione

Hi all,
I have a Shadow Hills Vandergraph for mix bus and I love it very much. However as some people mentioned, the coloration could be too much sometimes. Therefore I have my eyes on the Obsidian and Dione as they both have great reviews.
I have no doubt about the sheen that these bad boys could do to the mix, but how about the mid and low end? Do they enhance any weight to the mix as well? I worry if they will be too clean as I want to have some thickness but just a bit less than the DV. Can anyone share some comments about these please?
Thank you very much!
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

I’m curious about this too
Old 21st November 2018
Haven't used Dione but Obsidian adds both weight and girth. I probably use it on 95% of mixes nowadays.
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Head

I have the Obsidian and like it. It's possible to do some heavy processing with it but it can also be very transparent while adding dimension. I've tried a bunch of compressors on the two buss and I've liked the Obsidian and the DW Fearn the best. I would have kept the Fearn but the fan drove me crazy. I also have the DVG. Without gain reduction it's much more colored than the Obsidian. To me the DVG adds a lot of punch. Great punch but I'm not always looking for that much juice on the two buss. I've been enjoying it in parallel and it sounds fantastic on vocals. Once you start compressing all bets are off. The DVG and Obsidian can each change the tone quite a bit in interesting but different ways.

A.

Last edited by AndrewG; 21st November 2018 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Head

[deleted by mod] my Obsidian 500 is a great Buss Compressor, especially with the low cut on the trigger it is perfect for electronic music.

Last edited by [email protected]; 23rd November 2018 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: read the rules
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

What did you replace it with ?

Last edited by [email protected]; 23rd November 2018 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: cleaning up
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
What did you replace it with ?
I'm totally happy with Klanghelm MJUC now.
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuheimer View Post
Which setting do you use to get the SSL sound?
This is still my favorite software compressor, but I'm still using my hardware SSL for that sound.
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuheimer View Post
Quite a transition! I use it on the mixbus myself sometimes!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search