The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Regarding analog consoles...
Old 5 days ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Regarding analog consoles...

My production partner and I are finishing a professional home studio build in the next month or so and have been seriously considering getting a small analog console (our control room is only 14x10 but proper build - floated floors, room within a room, cloud etc.)

We like the new Sphere console in production as well as some smaller vintage desks we have found online. Studio will most likely be used about 70% tracking and 30% mixing.

Wondering if anyone has any input on either A. which console we should be looking at under $40k; or B. would it be wiser to forget the console and use the money for outboard gear? which would provide for more variety when tracking
Old 5 days ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnetko View Post
My production partner and I are finishing a professional home studio build in the next month or so and have been seriously considering getting a small analog console (our control room is only 14x10 but proper build - floated floors, room within a room, cloud etc.)

We like the new Sphere console in production as well as some smaller vintage desks we have found online. Studio will most likely be used about 70% tracking and 30% mixing.

Wondering if anyone has any input on either A. which console we should be looking at under $40k; or B. would it be wiser to forget the console and use the money for outboard gear? which would provide for more variety when tracking
How big/small, channels? You can pick up a nice little vintage Studer for around $4k and spend the rest on outboard.
Old 5 days ago
  #3
My console purchase (an API 1608) was the best thing I ever did. And the good news is there are some fantastic small format consoles on the market right now in your price range: API, RND, Tree Audio, Trident. Take your pic.
Old 5 days ago
  #4
Here for the gear
 

That’s good to hear Trev... what is your workflow with the console like? Tracking through it, main mix ITB, then sending stems back out to console for summing?

EDIT: My buddy and I seem to have come to a decision and will most likely be holding off on the console for now. It will almost surely happen down the road, but for the time being we will be focusing on filling outboard racks
Old 5 days ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnetko View Post
EDIT: My buddy and I seem to have come to a decision and will most likely be holding off on the console for now. It will almost surely happen down the road, but for the time being we will be focusing on filling outboard racks
from my perspective...having sold pro audio for 45 years, that is clearly not the recipe for success .

Trev committed to a console and tracking space. That to me is the answer. He can add all the trendy and vintage outboard he wants as the business flourishes...but it's built on a solid foundation.
Old 5 days ago
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
from my perspective...having sold pro audio for 45 years, that is clearly not the recipe for success .

Trev committed to a console and tracking space. That to me is the answer. He can add all the trendy and vintage outboard he wants as the business flourishes...but it's built on a solid foundation.
What is not the recipe for success?
You must have misunderstood me... I was referring to my personal situation. I’m saying my production partner and I have decided to wait before buying a console. I wasn’t commenting on Trev’s studio or preferences or business or priorities other than asking what his workflow is like.
Old 4 days ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 

i own and use both a large analog (mci jh500) and a digital desk (studer vista1) - hope you can agree that both aren't that bad...

although i'm very much used to the mci (after spending some 35 years on analog desks from amek, calrec, midas, neve, soundcraft, ssl, studer, tascam, trident, yamaha etc.) and i like the sound i'm getting a lot, analog consoles have become pretty much useless other than to attract a specific clientel (i then of course also use tape).

digital desks are possibly the least hyped gear you can find (at least when compared to the much over-hyped analog summing boxes), yet there is a good reason why they are getting used for broadcasting in high pressure situations: you get tricky things done at the highest level, very fast and efficient. their feature set is far beyond any analog desk and even daw's in some areas: how about 32 mono and 16 stereo auxes, hunderts of channels, dozens of groups/matrices/dcs's, multiple master busses in different formats etc.?

i'm using my digital console in the studio, live, for remote recording, broadcasting so it gets far more use than the analog console - and makes me some money (while the analog console costs me money).

depending on your needs you maybe wanna give you console choice another thought.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 3 days ago at 09:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 3 days ago
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnetko View Post
That’s good to hear Trev... what is your workflow with the console like? Tracking through it, main mix ITB, then sending stems back out to console for summing?

EDIT: My buddy and I seem to have come to a decision and will most likely be holding off on the console for now. It will almost surely happen down the road, but for the time being we will be focusing on filling outboard racks
Only when there's no budget or Im expecting lots of recalls. Where there's a budget and/or I'm producing, I do EQ cuts ITB and compress individual tracks using hardware plugins but do EQ boosts on the desk, compress busses on the desk and sum on the desk.
Old 3 days ago
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Only when there's no budget or Im expecting lots of recalls. Where there's a budget and/or I'm producing, I do EQ cuts ITB and compress individual tracks using hardware plugins but do EQ boosts on the desk, compress busses on the desk and sum on the desk.
Yes that sounds just about like our ideal workflow... I assume you are hitting an ADC and printing back to your DAW? Mind if I ask which you are using?
Old 3 days ago
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnetko View Post
Yes that sounds just about like our ideal workflow... I assume you are hitting an ADC and printing back to your DAW? Mind if I ask which you are using?
Burl Mothership
Old 2 days ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Mothership here too.. Stopped thinking about AD/DA!
Old 2 days ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
Whenever I can I do analog console (currently Neve 5088), whenever I can't (time-space) I do ITB (currently Lenovo-Cubase-moded RME UFX).
It doesn't reflect dramatically what will be the end result (not day-night difference, of course).
But I truly enjoy only OTB, computer related part of work always seems more like a prep.
This is where the 150-200k difference + good space kicks in.
I suppose many people simple never experienced that long enough and don't care. What's entirely fine.
Old 2 days ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
myles's Avatar
 

If you're just starting out, having some or all of that $40k console budget as a reserve isn't the worst thing you can do. Not sure what your circumstances are, or your business plan, or your preferences for workflow. Or - is this studio for you and your production partner, or are you renting it out?

All things being equal, it's great having a console. They look great, they're a great option to have, they can provide you with a bunch of good-quality pre's and, in some cases (depending on your console), can be a draw for clients to come to your studio. But, unless you're really used to working with a console and prefer it, or your clients prefer or insist, they're simply not necessary these days. Great to have, but not necessary except in very specific circumstances.

It sounds like you've already made your decision, though, so best of luck and enjoy the new studio!
Old 2 days ago
  #14
Here for the gear
 

Thanks for all the replies so far.. Our studio will essentially be nothing more than a private production studio. No worry about making it commercial friendly or drawing in clientele etc.

For the time being we have decided to wait before getting a console. Instead we are going to be getting a lot of flavors of outboard pre’s / comps. (We’ve come up with a pretty slutty list so I’m just as excited for some of that stuff as I would be for a console )
Old 1 day ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

30k buys a lot of console these days and the extra 10 is perfect for shipping and I stalk ruin and incidental tech work.
Old 1 day ago
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
30k buys a lot of console these days and the extra 10 is perfect for shipping and I stalk ruin and incidental tech work.
It certainly appears that way... What do you mean by “I stalk ruin and incidental tech work.” ?
Old 1 day ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Typo.. damn iPhone !

I meant installation
Old 1 day ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
myles's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Typo.. damn iPhone !

I meant installation
I liked "I stalk ruin" better...
Old 1 day ago
  #19
Here for the gear
 

Solid State Logic AWS 900

I recently got a used SSL AWS 900, and it's the best thing I ever purchased! I'm mostly mixing, but I'm certain it would be great for recording as well. I love the sound, love the total recall, love the routing, love the look, etc.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump