The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
C800G on LOUD vocalists Condenser Microphones
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

C800G on LOUD vocalists

I read a thread earlier that mentioned the C800g was not that great with really loud singers or screamers.
We do a lot of pop and hip hop and I feel like it’s almost daily that we have someone wanting to belt or yell in the mic.

We currently use a Manley Ref C or Gold for most vocalists and I’ve heard the Ref C and C800g can be “Similar” in sound but I’ve heard others say they are not!

So I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Is it necessary to have a C800G and Manley Ref C in the same studio? Or are they close enough in sound that you wouldn’t need both?

2. If I’m tracking with a loud vocalist will the C800G ever be a good option?

(By loud I DON’T mean metal/hardcore screamers I mean powerful singers and rappers that get aggressive with their performance)

Chain would usually be Neve 1073 - 1176 or CL1B (many times both) we have others but this is the go to!

Any help is appreciated
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

I was talking to an engineer once and he mentioned the U87 he was using started to clip because the singer was singing at a high SPL. He switched to the Sony C-800G and the problem was fixed.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Good to know! Thanks!
I’ve haven't had any clipping issues with the Ref C and I believe the SPL rating is like 150dB or something like that and the Sony is 136dB I believe. I guess I mainly just want to be sure it will actually be used more over the Manley and have a somewhat different sound as well. Not that a Ref C isn’t great because it is.... but this is Gearslutz, so why not have a C800g as well (if it’s actually worth it)
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

I remember seeing the Manley Reference Gold on a microphone list in a Studio in New York City many years ago. That studio and Dr. Luke are the only users i know of not to say the Manley is a bad mic. I'm sure it's a popular mic. I think the C-800G comes up more. I read somewhere Dr. Luke shot out several different mics and the Manley won. He also shot out pres and they picked the Chandler TG2 or channel strip i don't remember as their main preamp. It would be nice to have any one of them but keeping both would be great for your studio.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGold View Post
Good to know! Thanks!
I’ve haven't had any clipping issues with the Ref C and I believe the SPL rating is like 150dB or something like that and the Sony is 136dB I believe. I guess I mainly just want to be sure it will actually be used more over the Manley and have a somewhat different sound as well. Not that a Ref C isn’t great because it is.... but this is Gearslutz, so why not have a C800g as well (if it’s actually worth it)
Which microphone gets used more the manley or the Sony?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapchat2314715 View Post
I don’t actually have the Sony at the moment just considering one. Since it seems to be the “Go To Mic” for most producers recording a lot of Pop stuff. But like I had said, if it does sound too similar to the Manley than why spend the extra? If it is really something different then I’m willing to get it.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Sorry were you asking which mic is used more in pop productions in general (not my studio)? If that’s what you mean then it would definitely be the Sony. I feel like I see it everywhere right now.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Yes i definitely see the C-800G everywhere also. That and the Bock 251. and the U87.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I remember seeing the Manley Reference Gold on a microphone list in a Studio in New York City many years ago. That studio and Dr. Luke are the only users i know of not to say the Manley is a bad mic. I'm sure it's a popular mic. I think the C-800G comes up more. I read somewhere Dr. Luke shot out several different mics and the Manley won. He also shot out pres and they picked the Chandler TG2 or channel strip i don't remember as their main preamp. It would be nice to have any one of them but keeping both would be great for your studio.
Side note...Dr. Luke has REDD Microphones these days, and the TG2s.

Last edited by adam_f; 3 days ago at 06:56 AM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGold View Post
I read a thread earlier that mentioned the C800g was not that great with really loud singers or screamers.
We do a lot of pop and hip hop and I feel like it’s almost daily that we have someone wanting to belt or yell in the mic.
That is completely not true we have several u47 & 48's and those do not handle loud singers very well
David Draiman who is a very loud singer his vocals on the new Disturbed album were cut with C800G and it worked very well.
[
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Thanks for all the help so far! I’m definitely leaning towards it! I didn’t add this in the first post just to try and keep thing short. But we have a Manley Ref C in both tracking rooms here.
A producer who works here with me quite often is building a small but well designed place at his home since he lives an hour away and sometimes we need to get some stuff done fast! We do a lot on the production side of things and he is an incredible vocalist so we track him on a lot projects for harmonies or features. So my thought was to either give him one of the Manley’s and get C800G or get a new Manley. But then we would technically have 3! So I thought getting something else might be better option at this time.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

FWIW you may want to listen to Paul G's comparisons, of the Sony vs. the Advanced Audio version. Also you may want to consider the Sony C100. Chris
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

The C-800G beautifully handles a great amount of SPL & at close range.
The Manley Ref C is very nice & nothing really comes close to it at it's price but doesn't sound like a C-800G.
The Sony C-100 sounds nothing at all or even in the ball park of a C-800G.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Check out Krush's 411 audio clips of C100 vs. 800 sometime here on GS, worth a listen.

Didn't say they're the same, both are excellent mics IMHO.
Chris
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Give the offsite talent a RefC and get the Sony. Increased capability...worst case you might need a second Sony.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

I have both the Manley and Sony and use a 1073 and CL1B for both... I’ve actually found the Sony to handle loud Country Rock vocalists really well. Different flavors btw: when the Sony doesn’t feel right on a vocalist, the Manley usually sounds perfect.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search