The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My take on Brauerizing. You? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th October 2018
My take on Brauerizing. You?

In this video I pull apart a band mix showing processing and how I’ve adapted Brauerizing to suit my work flow.
Song is Women & Wine by Murray Collins. Copyright 2018.
Interested to get your feedback
And your take on it....

YouTube
Old 12th October 2018
Lives for gear

So the point of this method - asking - is to prevent tracks from being masked in the action of a single buss compressor but to be able to provide punch, interest and cohesion, right?

I think the work sounds good and I appreciate the walkthrough. It gave me some ideas. Thank you! I also am not opposed to still using a buss comp following these, gently, although it does seem to go beyond the style, so to speak but, if it sounds good, it is good. Who cares if it strictly follows one person model.

Regarding feedback, the only I would have done differently (grain of salt) would be to put a bit of room or a dull tape echo under the guitars for more depth. I do however like how they punch and I wouldn't want to affect that too much. None the less - nice work, sir.

What BeesNees nice were used in the recording?
Old 12th October 2018
Hello
Yes I do use a final bus comp
For now in the box
But I aim to have Ross Giles build me one of his VariMu units.
I don’t believe any BeesNeez mics were used.
I only tracked rhythm elec gtr and vocals.
So don’t know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
So the point of this method - asking - is to prevent tracks from being masked in the action of a single buss compressor but to be able to provide punch, interest and cohesion, right?

I think the work sounds good and I appreciate the walkthrough. It gave me some ideas. Thank you! I also am not opposed to still using a buss comp following these, gently, although it does seem to go beyond the style, so to speak but, if it sounds good, it is good. Who cares if it strictly follows one person model.

Regarding feedback, the only I would have done differently (grain of salt) would be to put a bit of room or a dull tape echo under the guitars for more depth. I do however like how they punch and I wouldn't want to affect that too much. None the less - nice work, sir.

What BeesNees nice were used in the recording?
Old 13th October 2018
Anyone else want to chime in?
Thanks in advance.
Old 28th December 2018
Great sounding track!

I did find the video interesting, but it really was hard to follow with the fast moving iPhone cam, had to skip after a few minutes, went to the end for listening to the track.

My personal Brauerizing setup (at home, in the studio we have all the hardware you can dream of, but the AWS Delta desk is not really great for Brauerizing) goes without a console, but with outboard on all busses, so every signal in the mix does pass through hardware.

Unlike you I route to my busses more similar to the way Brauer does, but of course with different compressors.

At the moment they go like this:

A (Instruments, BGV) - SSL Clone with Carnhills, Softube Tubetech (think about getting a pair of AML Pultecs)
B (Drums, Bass) - Drawmer 1978, Phoenix DRS (for trannies and EQ)
C (Guitars) - UREI La3a's
D (FX, various) - Softube CL1B, PA SPL Tube Vitalizer Mk2

LV - ProReplicas 1176 Rev. A Bluestripe

STEREO - Stam SA-4000+ (with Carnhills)

I also use two channels of my Sebatron vmp-4000e with its "Air" setting as a parallel airy tube distortion for the entire mix

All my parallel busses (1176s, Distortion, Kick, Snare, Drums etc.) and FX are 100% ITB.

Sometime, I'll definitely get a hardware API 2500, too.

PS: Love your accent, man!

PPS: Which samples are you using?
Old 28th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Great sounding track!

I did find the video interesting, but it really was hard to follow with the fast moving iPhone cam, had to skip after a few minutes, went to the end for listening to the track.

My personal Brauerizing setup (at home, in the studio we have all the hardware you can dream of, but the AWS Delta desk is not really great for Brauerizing) goes without a console, but with outboard on all busses, so every signal in the mix does pass through hardware.

Unlike you I route to my busses more similar to the way Brauer does, but of course with different compressors.

At the moment they go like this:

A (Instruments, BGV) - SSL Clone with Carnhills, Softube Tubetech (think about getting a pair of AML Pultecs)
B (Drums, Bass) - Drawmer 1978, Phoenix DRS (for trannies and EQ)
C (Guitars) - UREI La3a's
D (FX, various) - Softube CL1B, PA SPL Tube Vitalizer Mk2

LV - ProReplicas 1176 Rev. A Bluestripe

STEREO - Stam SA-4000+ (with Carnhills)

I also use two channels of my Sebatron vmp-4000e with its "Air" setting as a parallel airy tube distortion for the entire mix

All my parallel busses (1176s, Distortion, Kick, Snare, Drums etc.) and FX are 100% ITB.

Sometime, I'll definitely get a hardware API 2500, too.

PS: Love your accent, man!

PPS: Which samples are you using?
Thanks man.
Sorry about the video quality.
Re samples I use Trigger.
My fav samples are the Blackbird ones.
I like the CLA ones too.
API 2500 is a great unit.
FYI. I think it’s critical to have each elements FX included with it
So the bus compression acts on the whole sound. Not just the dry without FX.
Old 28th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Thanks man.
Sorry about the video quality.
Re samples I use Trigger.
My fav samples are the Blackbird ones.
I like the CLA ones too.
API 2500 is a great unit.
FYI. I think it’s critical to have each elements FX included with it
So the bus compression acts on the whole sound. Not just the dry without FX.
Should have a look at those sample packs then, have Trigger, but never bothered with the addons.
Yeah, I love the API, waiting for a good deal.
Like Brauer I usually use global FX which are shared by many elements, so that's why they don't go through instrument busses.
Old 28th December 2018
Gear Guru

Its really interesting to see how you're working and to hear the end result. I think I liked compression...

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind. I don't understand why the X-desk is there. Does the PM2K not have inserts on the groups and stereo bus? Why do you have mono elements (BD, SD samples and Hats) eating up 2 channels each on the console? It just seems to make sense to use one channel each.

Your shop is a Giles Audio showroom, he should book you room for potential clients to show off his wares!
Old 28th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Your shop is a Giles Audio showroom, he should book you room for potential clients to show off his wares!
Haha, yeah, thought the same. Good stuff obviously.
Old 28th December 2018
Quote:
Its really interesting to see how you're working and to hear the end result. I think I liked compression...

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind. I don't understand why the X-desk is there. Does the PM2K not have inserts on the groups and stereo bus? Why do you have mono elements (BD, SD samples and Hats) eating up 2 channels each on the console? It just seems to make sense to use one channel each.

Hey mate
The PM2K does not have a main stereo bus
Just 8 Pgm Outs plus 8 Matrix Outs.
So the SSL XDesk does my final 8 into 2 combining.
Yes, I love Ross Giles gear.....
I regard him above esteemed designers like Rupert Neve & George Massenburg.
A true genius.
Old 28th December 2018
Lives for gear

Kinda similar set-up here actually, 16x8 Trident Trimix on the left stemmed to 8 busses, Audient ASP2802 8 channel desk centered under the DAW monitor handling bus summing and inserts. Fancy that.
Different selection of compressors but Pultec clones on the 2-bus as well!
Old 28th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hey mate
The PM2K does not have a main stereo bus
Just 8 Pgm Outs plus 8 Matrix Outs.
So the SSL XDesk does my final 8 into 2 combining.
Yes, I love Ross Giles gear.....
I regard him above esteemed designers like Rupert Neve & George Massenburg.
A true genius.
I figured it had to be something like that.
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Addict

Just a suggestion if you’re going to use your phone for shooting video. Turn the phone horizontal rather than vertical. That way your video will utilize the whole screen rather than having a vertical sliver with both sides blacked out on YouTube. It will also cut down on constant quick panning which can be distracting.
Old 29th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuintaQuad View Post
Just a suggestion if you’re going to use your phone for shooting video. Turn the phone horizontal rather than vertical. That way your video will utilize the whole screen rather than having a vertical sliver with both sides blacked out on YouTube. It will also cut down on constant quick panning which can be distracting.
Yes
Agreed
I should really do the video again and make it more concise but I can’t be bothered. Lol
Old 29th December 2018
Quote:
Why do you have mono elements (BD, SD samples and Hats) eating up 2 channels each on the console? It just seems to make sense to use one channel
Realised I didn’t answer the 2nd question
I do all genres
And some of them use sampled drums rather than live drums
And some of those samples are stereo.
If I’m doing urban music I may have 3 kick samples panned Left, Centre and Right coming up ch’s 1 & 2 of the console.
Most snare samples are stereo.
Also with live drums if poorly tracked I’ll sample replace using Trigger and make use of the stereo overheads / rooms etc so the kick & snare sound nice and wide and full. Not just mono up the Centre.
Toms I tend to always use just 1 ch per Tom even if using a sample.
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Realised I didn’t answer the 2nd question
I do all genres
And some of them use sampled drums rather than live drums
And some of those samples are stereo.
If I’m doing urban music I may have 3 kick samples panned Left, Centre and Right coming up ch’s 1 & 2 of the console.
Most snare samples are stereo.
Also with live drums if poorly tracked I’ll sample replace using Trigger and make use of the stereo overheads / rooms etc so the kick & snare sound nice and wide and full. Not just mono up the Centre.
Toms I tend to always use just 1 ch per Tom even if using a sample.
Gotcha. Kind of you standard output setup, it seems.
Old 29th December 2018
Gear Head

Hello, I have a few questions about this.

What is "Brauerizing"?
Is it another way of saying Analog Summing?
If so, why is it called "Brauerizing?

Never heard that term before?

Thanks
Old 29th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassneck View Post
Hello, I have a few questions about this.

What is "Brauerizing"?
Is it another way of saying Analog Summing?
If so, why is it called "Brauerizing?

Never heard that term before?

Thanks
It's trademarked term for a mixing system developed and used by famous mixer Michael Brauer. You'll find info around here and on the web, some of it accurate, some of it inaccurate or wrong even.
It's based around a multibus system which is calibrated and set up to fit the instrument groups which get routed to them.
On top of that he uses global and instrument specific parallel compression and a smart combination of five compressors for the lead vocals.
It's different than what you see in the video, but the musical thinking behind it is similar, hence the OP called it his take on Brauerizing as he adapted the idea to his own workflow.

The link above is a good starting point, although doesn't cover some important elements.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search