The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best midrange monitors for so so room but on large side? Studio Monitors
Old 14th October 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks again. This is all doable. I cannot believe it has been so many years without my knowing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
You don't want to be at any evenly divisible number of the dimension of the room. So your first suggestion was 1/2 the room. Your second is 1/4 the room. Both bad because waveforms are: 0 zero crossing, 1/4 wave is peak, 1/2 wave is zero crossing, 3/4 wave is dip, and then 4/4 wave is zero crossing and you will end up sitting in one of those positions for frequencies that are going to null or peak there due to the walls.

You need to be in between these dimensions (and don't go to 3/8 of the room next because that's also bad.) 3/7 of the room is good, 1/3 is good, etc.
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

Dear OP, have you thought about building an interior wall to create a 20x17 ft room? In your case it's a game changer. Nothing complicated, draw a project(plenty of good solutions on google and youtube), go to a home depot for all the frame cuts, purchase some drywall, mineral wool, some bolts and screws and off you go. It's a 4-5 days of work maximum and shouldn't cost more than $1500 if you're doing yourself. You might need a helping hand though, so ask a buddy to help a friend in need. Best!
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

How much of a wall is needed? Could it be tall Herman Miller type panels that have some sound absorption about 3 feet form the back wall?
Thanks,
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
Dear OP, have you thought about building an interior wall to create a 20x17 ft room? In your case it's a game changer. Nothing complicated, draw a project(plenty of good solutions on google and youtube), go to a home depot for all the frame cuts, purchase some drywall, mineral wool, some bolts and screws and off you go. It's a 4-5 days of work maximum and shouldn't cost more than $1500 if you're doing yourself. You might need a helping hand though, so ask a buddy to help a friend in need. Best!
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
How much of a wall is needed? Could it be tall Herman Miller type panels that have some sound absorption about 3 feet form the back wall?
Thanks,
AB
To create a new boundary wall to affect low end, you need to have a wall be at least around 4.6 lbs/sq ft. And it needs to be sealed to the edges (floor to ceiling, side to side)

So a floating panel type is not effective. The low frequency sounds will pass right through it (though higher frequencies won't). Won't solve your square room situation. As Andrei mentioned, though, building a dry wall is pretty easy and basic construction.
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Take a look at Eve Audio SC407 or SC408 (Berlin, Germany) — it is exactly what you need. I was in the same situation like you some time ago and chose SC407. Amazing monitors. If you like sound philosophy of Adam and Focal you should try Eve Audio definitely. Demo it if you have an option.

EVE Audio SC407 - 600W 4-way 7" Studio Monitor with AMT Tweeter & DSP Control

By the way, Roland Stenz (Eve Audio founder), before he leave ADAM in 2010 and start in 2011 Eve Audio, was a founder, shareholder and CEO of ADAM Audio GmbH since 1999.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Thanks,
AB
Pentagon is spot on, you need to seal well everything and create enough mass to not let anything escape through. Actually may I suggest a cheaper and better solution for this wall? Bricks + mortar(cement, water and sand) + construction level ruler + brick saw. If you're doing yourself it shouldn't cost more than $1000. You don't need any help here, it's a one man job, it's faster(3 days max, an experienced worker needs couple of hours), heavier(hence nothing will escape from your room) and more durable. The wall has to sit on the building concrete, and not on the parquet/tiles/or whatever else surface is mounted on the floor. It's how we usually build here in Europe walls and common structures like houses and such. After finishing you can fix drywall panels to the wall to match the other interior surfaces(assuming you have drywall everywhere as you guys do in U.S.). You glue the panels to the wall, and after it dries you fix it on screws. Plaster, paint and job done.
Old 12th November 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bars View Post
Take a look at Eve Audio SC407 or SC408 (Berlin, Germany) — it is exactly what you need. I was in the same situation like you some time ago and chose SC407. Amazing monitors. If you like sound philosophy of Adam and Focal you should try Eve Audio definitely. Demo it if you have an option.

By the way, Roland Stenz (Eve Audio founder), before he leave ADAM in 2010 and start in 2011 Eve Audio, was a founder, shareholder and CEO of ADAM Audio GmbH since 1999.
Just ordered sc408's. they should be here tomorrow or wednesday
Old 12th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedByMrHD View Post
Just ordered sc408's. they should be here tomorrow or wednesday
Congratulations. Surely you will be satisfied by your choice. Just play a bit with monitor orientation placement: finally I ended up with vertical monitor position, but it is a matter or test.
Old 12th November 2018
Lives for gear

I have to second the bricks - personally Id go for High density 24kg per block +
concrete building blocks. Lay them sideways - gives you 8" thick solid wall.
ends up costing about the same as really good stud work with multi-layer boards etc- BUT it is 8" and the low end in the room sounds INCREDIBLE and the SRC pisses on stud construction for the same thickness. - gives you more space to treat the INSIDE of a room.
Old 13th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bars View Post

I strongly second this suggestion. I think it would be a serious mistake to buy the Neumann KH 310 before hearing the Eves which, in my opinion, are better (in direct comparison at Just Music in Berlin) at the same time as being €420 cheaper per pair.

I struggled with the K+H o300s for 7 years, never getting dependable translation and finally sold them. To me, the Neumann KH 310s sound more or less the same, just going a little louder and deeper than the K+H o300.

Try to hear a comparison if you can. If you can't, do some research on the Eve's. Don't be seduced by that 3" Chinese dome mid driver!

Compare the specs for a start:

https://eve-audio.de/downloads/manua...t_SC407_EN.pdf

NEUMANN

Here's a condensation:

Eve SC407 / Neumann KH 310:
18 kg/ 13kg
10 x 24 X 12.6" / 10 X 15 X 11.5"
2X185W, 180W, 50 W / 210W, 90W, 90W
Mid driver bandwidth:
280-3,000 Hz / 650-2,000 Hz

I like the idea of no crossovers between 280 and 3kHz, also the flexibility of being able to rotate the mid-high module for horizontal or vertical orientation, as well as having all the controls on the front with that one clever knob and the option of standby mode with 1 watt consumption instead of the idle consumption of 24 watts each for the Neumanns.

Finally, the Eve uses digital crossovers and the Neumanns do not—at least not yet on this model (they do on the newer KH80DSP). This allows for steeper slopes with the attendant benefits of evenness of response over a wider window.

Last edited by Russell Dawkins; 13th November 2018 at 08:59 AM..
Old 13th November 2018
P.S.

Almost forgot: I think you should try to audition the JBL 708P as well, as long as you don't mind spending well under your budget.
Old 14th November 2018
You should definitely try the barefoot footprints!
Old 19th November 2018
Gear Nut

I've got a room with similar dimensions and went trough a lot of monitors! Even had the EVE SC408, which was wayyyy to overpowering for the room... I've settled on the Focal trio's! What a great sounding monitor and the translation is great.
Old 13th December 2018
The Eves are really top notch, they compare easily to much more expensive monitors in that price range.
There are a couple big Studios in Berlin that switched over to the Eves and they are impressed with their results.
Im taking my experience mostly from HipHop and Techno producers/engineers.
I know in fact that they are flat as **** and the stereo imaging is just insane.
They really reveal so much details even in the lower price range.
Check em´ out!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search