The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eventide H9000/H8000FW or UAD Ultimate 6 Bundle
Old 8th October 2018
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
Mr. Bars's Avatar
Eventide H9000/H8000FW or UAD Ultimate 6 Bundle

Hello friends.

I want to make some reasonable investment in high quality digital processing. Most of all I'm interested in various top level modulation effects, delays and maybe reverbs. Sound is the main criterion. Then flexibility. Besides other processors I have Eventide Eclipse, but never used H8000. I'm not UAD user and never was. The question is UAD Ultimate bundle with all its modulation, delays and reverb plugins comparable soundwise to Eventide H9000, H8000, H7600? Is the cumulative processing quality of many parts within one track (for example) comparable? I have a choice to buy new H9000, H8000, H7600 or UAD accelerator with Ultimate bundle. I'm 90% OTB so I have a valid craving for hardware.

Thanks!
Old 8th October 2018
  #2
Gear Nut
 

How can you compare these 2 things?
They are totally unrelated to me.

ModFX are not uad's strong point, but they are great at many other things.
Old 8th October 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bars View Post
...I'm interested in various top level modulation effects, delays and maybe reverbs...
what a question then...

EVENTIDE

(or maybe some older lexicons which can be found for not much money)

...end of discussion!
Old 8th October 2018
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
Mr. Bars's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.frad View Post
How can you compare these 2 things?
They are totally unrelated to me.
ModFX are not uad's strong point, but they are great at many other things.
Based on product description and users feedbacks one Eventide unit (9000, 8000 or 7600) provide a widest range of chorus, flanger, pitch, delay and reverb effects and its combinations (mega flexible and mega powered, super powered and just powered accordingly).

UAD Ultimate bundle provide 13 modulation plugins (chorus, flanger, delay), 9 reverb plugins and 21 special processing plugins — the flexibility and the number and of their combinations are limited only by the user's imagination and accelerator's power.

Dynamics, EQ and other processing is not very interesting for me at digital domain for now.

I don't know which side of UAD is its strong point due I never used it (as I mentioned in my initial post). If you really can't find a reason for a balanced choice before spend thousands of dollars for digital processing, so I can: since I have not worked with any of these options they are totally related to me at start point.
Old 8th October 2018
  #5
t_d
Lives for gear
 
t_d's Avatar
i have been a UAD user since Mackie produced the cards and have had both an Eclipse, H7600 and now currently an H8000.

my opinion is that the UAD's strong suit is mixing and recording. some of the verbs and delays are very nice, but they tend to be (beautiful) recreations of classic "limited" units like the AMS and lexicon verbs or roland space echoes.

these are great effects, but very different from the Eventide universe which is all about multi effects, complex modulations, other-worldly effects, loopers, etc...

i'd go the Eventide route if "FX" is what you're after and UAD if you're looking for more mixing tools.

i'd almost always recommend hardware over software, but being a UAD user for well over a decade the software has never become obsolete or unsupported, as can happen with much software, so i feel my investment (so far) is sound.
Old 9th October 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Gringo Starr's Avatar
 

The H9000 is most likely going to be the king of effects processors for the next ten years. Kind of a no-brainer. If you have the funds get it and learn the hell out of it.
Old 9th October 2018
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
Mr. Bars's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
i have been a UAD user since Mackie produced the cards and have had both an Eclipse, H7600 and now currently an H8000.

my opinion is that the UAD's strong suit is mixing and recording. some of the verbs and delays are very nice, but they tend to be (beautiful) recreations of classic "limited" units like the AMS and lexicon verbs or roland space echoes.

these are great effects, but very different from the Eventide universe which is all about multi effects, complex modulations, other-worldly effects, loopers, etc...

i'd go the Eventide route if "FX" is what you're after and UAD if you're looking for more mixing tools.

i'd almost always recommend hardware over software, but being a UAD user for well over a decade the software has never become obsolete or unsupported, as can happen with much software, so i feel my investment (so far) is sound.
Thanks for your input — very useful point of view.
Old 23rd November 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
I'm seeing the need for both
I play guitar so I either use an amp SIM before or after the H9000 FX Chain.
You can make the guitar and distortion sound good on the H9000 with eq but it won't sound like an amp. The sound is full range so needs eq. So for me the amp SIM completes the sound-with UAD this can be done with no latency.
The H9000 is very powerful..

I read a user review of the H9k who thought the plates weren't great compared to UAD. I did a test and had to tweak a lot to get it to sound good compared to UAD 140 plate - i didn't like it initially but after tweaking I actually got it to sound incredible. This is an important point, there's 1600 presets/algos, many with parameters I've never seen in an algo or even heard of. My feeling is you need to mess around and learn one algorithm at a time to get the best out of each and the machine. Then start chaining them up and create sounds that have never been heard before! I'm not there yet..

Same with the Chorus, phaser and flanger, Eventide depth and rate param goes to values that are ridiculous so you have to really fine tune it to your liking but you can get what you want and more. If you can't with one chorus algo, try another. In many algo's you actually have control over the individual delays in these modulation algos...
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump