The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focal Shape 65, blown woofer. Studio Monitors
Old 6th October 2018
Here for the gear
Focal Shape 65, blown woofer.

I got these things super cheap and it turns out one of them are blown. I can get my money back and then some by just selling one monitor and profit

but I'd rather use them somehow cause they are pretty nice.

so my question is:

how can I replace this woofer that's blown? I seriously doubt anyone is going to be able to get a hold of the actual replacement woofer so in reality I'm asking this::

which woofer that sells will A: even fit the mounting holes and line up decent with the outer diameter of the countersink

and b: will work well with the box dimensions and two 6" passive radiators?

if no one can help me on this then I literally sit on them for years until I find the right part on ebay, or give up and sell just one monitor. I dunno I don't have high hopes anyone can help but even if you can help me on measurements I'd be happy enough

so if anyone with Focal Shape 65 has a digital caliper, and can accurately measure the mounting dimensions for the shape 65 that would be awesome! not asking you to open them up I can figure out the cutout diameter with more wiggle room with more confidence but the measurements that really matter to me with exact precision would be the center of each screw diameter for the woofer, and the outer diameter of the speaker cutout.

i could use a tape measure but I wouldn't trust my eyeballs on this one without a caliper my self, and I don't wanna pay 50 bucks to just get some measurements on these. any help would be appreciated
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Addict

hey, sorry to hear that... used to have a pair of shape 65s until recently and see why you want to keep them

as regards replacing the low/mid speaker I'd be reluctant to go for anything that is not the original, just on account of focal using this flax cone stuff. with a different material you are bound to get a different sonic quality between the two speakers, diefferent frequency response etc., which might mess up streo imaging etc.

soundest, yet maye not cheapest option would be imo to have it replaced by focal with an original
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Unfortunately getting an original Focal replacement woofer is your ONLY option.

Even if you find a driver that physically fits the box the passive radiators need to be matched specifically to the woofer as does the cabinet itself and the crossover arrangement.
Change the woofer and you will have a different speaker that will not work as you hoped.
Old 7th October 2018
Here for the gear
how do I order a new focal woofer without being an authorized retailer, and how would I go about ordering it?

how much you guys think it would set me back for one of these woofers :/
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Try asking an authorized retailer.
Old 7th October 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
Try asking an authorized retailer.
no idea where to even find one lol, got these off legto used so not sure where to begin
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

This is getting silly.

Have you tried anything beyond asking here?
You know like finding your distributor on the Focal website for example.
Old 8th October 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
This is getting silly.

Have you tried anything beyond asking here?
You know like finding your distributor on the Focal website for example.
Yeah I did, and I went to the website of every single one too and every single one is only car audio within 25 mi of me and I don't even have a car.

I literally have no idea where to find a place that can order me a focal woofer for a studio monitor at all. already tried what you suggested :(
Old 8th October 2018
Contact Michel at Audio plus Services, they are the US distributors of Focal and handle repairs and you should easily be able to buy new parts from them.

MICHEL ROUSSEAU
Support / Service
800.663.9352 x9
Old 8th October 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Contact Michel at Audio plus Services, they are the US distributors of Focal and handle repairs and you should easily be able to buy new parts from them.

MICHEL ROUSSEAU
Support / Service
800.663.9352 x9
Thank you sir! this may be what I needed and will call him today :D
Old 9th October 2018
500 series nutjob

makes no since to not just get with Focal to me.
they have great service, call-em.
Old 16th October 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
makes no since to not just get with Focal to me.
they have great service, call-em.
I ordered it over the phone with audioplusservices and the guy was dyslexic as hell, messed up writing down my CC info, called back like twice to get the right digits, then I sent an email for an address confirmation to make sure he got the address right and he told me I didn't say apartment number

Anyway how long do you guys think the woofer should take to get here? You think they can track the package too if it takes a long time?

kinda worried it might not get here :(

Iv'e never spent 200 bucks on a speaker driver even for competition sound stuff for my car, my Alpine type R's were only $150 a driver for 12" really good subs that made my sub box sound as good as home audio $2,000 subs just kinda worried about all this. :c

I mean it's only been 4 days so far but just had to vent and mentally prepare for the worst!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search