The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Fusion
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
SSL Fusion

Anybody seen this?

Solid-State-Logic announce FUSION / KMR Audio News

Looks like SSLs take on the Louder than Lift off Silver Bullet. On looks alone it seems pretty appealing! Also seems to borrow from the fatso as well.

Can’t wait to hear one in action!
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looks like a bit of the RND MBP as well as the SB.
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
anyone know the MSRP/Street Price?
Old 1st October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlackWolf View Post
anyone know the MSRP/Street Price?
Not out yet. A wild guess:

$3.5K?
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Head

Looks like $2.8k. Meant to replace your mix buss chain. Check out the video on vintage king. Looks really exciting and could be pretty flexible when considering the insert point and m/s processing.
Old 1st October 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Not out yet. A wild guess:

$3.5K?
That would've been my guess honestly. Looks like $2,495.00, really reasonable.

Yea looking forward to hearing it in action. I've have quite a few tools for the mix bus but was contemplating a SB or HendyAmps Da Vinci. Still would say I'm leaning towards those over this, but def want to hear more demo's and user feedback.

I do believe we are about to be smothered in stereo bus treatment devices... and am looking forward to it!
Old 1st October 2018
Here for the gear

KMR has it listed for £1,499.00 (ex. vat) - I might have to jump on this
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't mean to step on any SSL toes here as I'm sure the lovely people there will be wading in with far more detail than I have, but I've been helping out testing Fusion and spitballing with Andy Jackson at SSL during its design. Had one here in my little room for a week or so and thoroughly put it through its paces, as well as a test session at SSL HQ.

Let me know what you'd like to know and I'll do my best to chat about it!
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Vintage King video:

YouTube
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
VK website says “shipping now” @ $2,495. USD.
Old 1st October 2018
Old 2nd October 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How does the high spectrum compression sound with the drive feature?? Could be killer on the mix bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I don't mean to step on any SSL toes here as I'm sure the lovely people there will be wading in with far more detail than I have, but I've been helping out testing Fusion and spitballing with Andy Jackson at SSL during its design. Had one here in my little room for a week or so and thoroughly put it through its paces, as well as a test session at SSL HQ.

Let me know what you'd like to know and I'll do my best to chat about it!
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am really interested to hear how this sounds. I am currently 100% in the box.

I have been considering a Silver Bullet + Stam SA4000 MKII, which would get me in the same ballpark price wise. This SSL unit might sound different than those two, but still give me my desired interest to add analog warmth and depth. Plus, it might be easier to deal with hooking up one box versus two.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
I am really interested to hear how this sounds. I am currently 100% in the box.

I have been considering a Silver Bullet + Stam SA4000 MKII, which would get me in the same ballpark price wise. This SSL unit might sound different than those two, but still give me my desired interest to add analog warmth and depth. Plus, it might be easier to deal with hooking up one box versus two.
If you went out the box for this you’d benefit far more adding a more feature complete bus compressor as well. This box doesn’t cover that territory as wel. Fusion appears to be more subtle colour, shape and depth enhancement rather than bus compression.

Last edited by fredouli; 2nd October 2018 at 11:18 AM..
Old 2nd October 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hear it here:

Hear it in Action | Solid State Logic
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

83 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli View Post
If you went out the box for this you’d benefit far more adding a more feature complete bus compressor as well. This box doesn’t cover that territory as wel. Fusion appears to be more subtle colour, shape and depth enhancement rather than bus compression.
You may be right about that. I have some UAD mix bus plugins of course. Just trying to find that right analog component without adding a ton of external gear. I'm pretty content, to be honest.

According to another thread in new products Tony D said the color ranged from subtle to quite intense. He mentioned that the input knob would affect the saturation levels heavily. It sounds like the compression isn't as colored as other options, though.

It's an interesting box. I will spend a little time with the audio samples on the website.
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I listened to all the downloads in my setup. You hear more impact on the stems than the full mixes. I liked what I heard on the stems.

I guess you could say it added that certain "glue" but it was very subtle. I'd be curious to hear one live.
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes1311 View Post
How does the high spectrum compression sound with the drive feature?? Could be killer on the mix bus
Yep, it's pretty killer! Pushing into the drive circuit for the aggression and using the HF Compression circuit to tame harshness works really well. The fact that you can dial in crossover frequency in the HF comp adds flexibility.

The drive circuitry itself doesn't get too harsh even with density turned down all the way. It's a pretty balanced drive circuit, and that's one of the things that impressed me about the design; it doesn't get spitty and overbearing at the top end. Increase the density control and it gets darker and thicker.
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
According to another thread in new products Tony D said the color ranged from subtle to quite intense. He mentioned that the input knob would affect the saturation levels heavily. It sounds like the compression isn't as colored as other options, though.
The saturation can definitely get into a 'too much' zone for full mixes if you push the input trim and the Vintage Drive circuitry very hard, which is great - lots of sonic characteristics. I find many of the tonal enhancement boxes and plugins are simply so subtle that you wish for certain mixes you could drive it that bit harder - here that's covered. Too much drive from the off? Trim the input down and the output up - easy peasy. The gain staging is really well handled.
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Tony, thanks for your insights. Can you describe how the eq and drive sections compare with other boxes you've encountered - Bax, Thermionic etc?

Old 3rd October 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coso View Post
Tony, thanks for your insights. Can you describe how the eq and drive sections compare with other boxes you've encountered - Bax, Thermionic etc?

I haven't used the Bax (unfortunately, I hear they're killer!) so a difficult comparison to draw. But I have a Michelangelo here by Hendyamps, and that's my go-to buss EQ. The SSL is a VERY different flavour to the Michelangelo, which is very deep and soft-sounding. The SSL EQ to my ears (especially at the top end) is very powerful - a little goes a long way, and it has more clarity and 'forwardness' in the top end than the Michelangelo. The low is really nice, allowing significant boost without getting overly puffy or uncontrollable in the sub. The combo of HPF and Low EQ is very controllable.

In terms of the drive, it's more subtle than the Culture Vulture. It won't go completely over-the-top bananas like the Thermionic can, and for that reason I find it easier to dial in than the CV. I love the CV and sometimes it's JUST the right thing, but it can so easily change the entire tone of the mix and dull the top end in a way that the SSL doesn't. What impressed me about the Vintage Drive circuitry is that, unless you push the density very hard, the tonal balance of the mix stays very nicely in place. Much quicker to dial in, too, across a full mix. It doesn't replace the CV to me, which is a more powerful distortion box and still a go-to for grit and thickness on stems.
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
The Fusion looks great.

For those home studio guys who cant afford it, buy the SSl Version 6 channel strip and saturation plug in. Their tube compressor is great too if you want more color. Yeah it's not the same but it still greatly enhances your music.
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Head

Theres a video on Fusion here -

SSL Fusion | SX Pro
Old 4th October 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
The Fusion looks great.

For those home studio guys who cant afford it, buy the SSl Version 6 channel strip and saturation plug in. Their tube compressor is great too if you want more color. Yeah it's not the same but it still greatly enhances your music.

Thought it was very similar
I'm going to A/B it with my Duality and v6 channel plug. Don't think it's going to add anything extra, but always keen to try out new SSL toys
Old 4th October 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
SSL Fusion is assembled in china...
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Indeed, engineered in the UK, assembled in China. Certainly doesn't have an 'assembled in China' price tag, though. But then, neither does a MacBook Pro...
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Simon Says game is a cool feature.
Attached Thumbnails
SSL Fusion-untitled.jpg  
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
The Simon Says game is a cool feature.
I got up to level 11. It gets hard!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertino View Post
SSL Fusion is assembled in china...
I've seen people mention this, is this an issue for you and why? Is the quality different if it was made somewhere else?
📝 Reply