The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U87ai > DAV BG1 > Distressor > Prism Sound Lyra1. Is this preamp a weak link? Condenser Microphones
Old 29th September 2018
  #1
Here for the gear
 

U87ai > DAV BG1 > Distressor > Prism Sound Lyra1. Is this preamp a weak link?

I was once happy with the results i was getting through my Neumann TLM 102 straight into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 but when i decided to upgrade my chain i was blown away with the quality difference so do you guys reckon i will have the same reaction from a different preamp

I am fine with the quality i am getting now but i have never really used a high end preamp so I’m wondering if i am missing out.

My Current setup is:
U87ai > DAV BG1 > Distressor > Prism Sound Lyra1

I mainly record Rap, R&B, Afrobeats and occasionally pop vocals in a well treated room
Attached Thumbnails
U87ai > DAV BG1 > Distressor > Prism Sound Lyra1. Is this preamp a weak link?-e99f5c16-a2fb-4679-af49-a41ebe0bf13f.jpg  
Old 29th September 2018
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

You don’t need to buy a thing,
Old 29th September 2018
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Thanks for the reply, this is my first external preamp and i just wanted to make sure it was up to standards with other preamps that are more expensive, for example a Neve or API
Old 29th September 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
James Lehmann's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booom View Post
This is my first external preamp... i just wanted to make sure it was up to standards with other preamps that are more expensive, for example a Neve or API
Well, you will have already seen from dozens of other threads on Gearslutz that DAV preamps are generally, let's say, very well-regarded on this Forum, especially for the price. I certainly I can't imagine a situation where my DAV BG2 wouldn't help me amplify virtually any microphone and record music with it to a totally professional standard, and your recording chain looks much the same as mine.

But honestly, I wouldn't take an answer on an Internet Forum to the type of comparative question you have asked as definitive by any stretch.

The only way to determine if your DAV is 'up to standards' vs a Neve or an API is to test all these units out yourself in your own studio on your own music, because the 'standards' you speak of are so highly objective and so ultimately yours alone.
Old 29th September 2018
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
Well, you will have already seen from dozens of other threads on Gearslutz that DAV preamps are generally, let's say, very well-regarded on this Forum, especially for the price. I certainly I can't imagine a situation where my DAV BG2 wouldn't help me amplify virtually any microphone and record music with it to a totally professional standard, and your recording chain looks much the same as mine.

But honestly, I wouldn't take an answer on an Internet Forum to the type of comparative question you have asked as definitive by any stretch.

The only way to determine if your DAV is 'up to standards' vs a Neve or an API is to test all these units out yourself in your own studio on your own music, because the 'standards' you speak of are so highly objective and so ultimately yours alone.
Thank you for your opinion and advice, i dont have access to other preamps thats why i was hoping someone on here with a similar set up is able to give me there opinion but i guess you are right and i will have to compare it myself
Old 30th September 2018
  #6
Gear Nut
 

You have a great setup.
Every piece is of very high standard.
Keep your money and make some music
Old 30th September 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 
rasmus's Avatar
imo if you really want to upgrade go with a quality tube mic, the difference in mics is way bigger than in preamps
Old 30th September 2018
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.frad View Post
You have a great setup.
Every piece is of very high standard.
Keep your money and make some music
Thank you, i think i was just parranoid because the price of the preamp is almost too good to be true
Old 30th September 2018
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
imo if you really want to upgrade go with a quality tube mic, the difference in mics is way bigger than in preamps
What tube mic would you recommend at the £1000 price range
Old 30th September 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 
rasmus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booom View Post
What tube mic would you recommend at the £1000 price range
In that range you will most likely only find cheap u47 clones, i doubt they will be better than a U87 though.

Not a tube mic, but you might be able to find a used RCA 44 for 1500, that's sonically quite the opposite of a u87.
Old 1st October 2018
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
In that range you will most likely only find cheap u47 clones, i doubt they will be better than a U87 though.

Not a tube mic, but you might be able to find a used RCA 44 for 1500, that's sonically quite the opposite of a u87.
Thanks, that is very interesting. I will look into it. Will the RCA 44 work well with my set up?
Old 1st October 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 
rasmus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booom View Post
Thanks, that is very interesting. I will look into it. Will the RCA 44 work well with my set up?
Sure i've used it with a DAV, but be aware the 44 is a very dark mic compared to the u87. It has a lot of proximity effect and can make voices sound huge. If you are into very clean and hifi sounds it might not be your cup of tea though, as you will introduce some hiss when you end up boosting high end while mixing. If you are into vibey vintage sounding stuff, it's heaven!

If you find a non working or very beat up looking 44 localy go check it out, open it up carefully and check the ribbon, if it's bend or broken just get it re-ribboned, it's <100 pounds. I had my 44 re-ribboned by Steward @ xaudia.com
Old 1st October 2018
  #13
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
Sure i've used it with a DAV, but be aware the 44 is a very dark mic compared to the u87. It has a lot of proximity effect and can make voices sound huge. If you are into very clean and hifi sounds it might not be your cup of tea though, as you will introduce some hiss when you end up boosting high end while mixing. If you are into vibey vintage sounding stuff, it's heaven!

If you find a non working or very beat up looking 44 localy go check it out, open it up carefully and check the ribbon, if it's bend or broken just get it re-ribboned, it's <100 pounds. I had my 44 re-ribboned by Steward @ xaudia.com
I think a dark mic will come in handy sometimes because i like to have a different sound from time to time depending on the song, i have used a SM7b on my voice and it was a bit dark sounding but i liked it. Does the RCA have a similar sound to the SM7b?
Old 1st October 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 
rasmus's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booom View Post
Does the RCA have a similar sound to the SM7b?
In terms of darkness they are close, but the 44 has way more proximity effect and sounds more detailed and smoother, not as grainy. If it's too bass heavy you'd have to back up a little, so it benefits from a controled and not too live sounding room.
The 44 is way more versatile than a SM7b, you can beef up thin acoustic guitars, get a killer mono drum sound with one 44 overhead and a kick mic, violins and cellos sound nice and smooth with it and so on... oh i forgot to mention the earth shaking upright bass
If you have a AEA dealer close by try one of their replicas, to see if it fits your needs.
You'll need a heavy duty mic stand though it weights at least as much as 5 U87s
Old 1st October 2018
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmus View Post
In terms of darkness they are close, but the 44 has way more proximity effect and sounds more detailed and smoother, not as grainy. If it's too bass heavy you'd have to back up a little, so it benefits from a controled and not too live sounding room.
The 44 is way more versatile than a SM7b, you can beef up thin acoustic guitars, get a killer mono drum sound with one 44 overhead and a kick mic, violins and cellos sound nice and smooth with it and so on... oh i forgot to mention the earth shaking upright bass
If you have a AEA dealer close by try one of their replicas, to see if it fits your needs.
You'll need a heavy duty mic stand though it weights at least as much as 5 U87s
Wow this mic sounds like overkill for me. I litrally only record vocals and rarely track guitars and i mainly use virtual instruments for my productions so it only matters to me how it sounds on vocals. I was planning to book a studio session at a place with a large mic selection to try new mics. Hopefully i find a studio with a 44
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump