The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Telefunken USA AK47
Old 8th May 2007
Lives for gear

Telefunken USA AK47

Hello,

I'd like to add a valve mic to my mic locker (that will be my first one).
It will be used for vocals, drums, guitars..
The AK47 seems like an affordable option, based on the classic U47.
Can anyone comment on this mic, how does it sound like?
Smooth, bright, dark,big?
Or any other suggestion for an affordable 1st valve mic?

Thanks

J
Old 8th May 2007
Lives for gear

hi.
there are a couple of decent threads here regarding the AK47.
Nathan @ Atlas Pro Audio and Fletcher @ Mercenary are quite familiar with this mic.
if you have a specific question that is not addressed in a thread here, may i suggest enquiring with Nathan for details.
he is a very helpful person.

Telefunken AK47 or Peluso 47LE with Aurora GTQ?
Old 8th May 2007
member no 666

If you have a couple of minutes, there is an example of the AK-47 [voice] and the M-16 [guitar] on my "myspace" page: www.myspace.com/mercenaryaudio

The song is called "Begin Again", there is a picture of the setup. The song was done live, one take with both mics in "Figure 8" pattern. You can kinda see in the photo that the "null" of the M-16 is aimed at the singer's mouth and the "null" of the AK-47 is aimed at the guitar.

What happens when you use a figure 8 pattern is that you have 100% cancellation at all frequencies in the ring around the mic that is the null. The two diaphragms are charged in 180' opposite polarity so there is an electronic cancellation where the two diaphragms pick up the same sound.

By aiming the business end of the mic at the sound you want to record and the null at the sound you don't want to record with that mic you can gain pretty damn excellent separation.

In this case the vocal is panned about 5 degrees left and the guitar about 5 degrees right to let each sound stand out a bit more.

No EQ was used during this, a wee [very wee] tad of compression from a Vintage Designs CL1-mkII was employed and the mic-pre amp was a Crane Song LTD. "Flamingo".

Even though it is an MP-3 I think it should give you a pretty solid representaiton of how each of the two mics have the ability to sound much larger than their price tag would suggest.

One last little correction... the AK-47 is not based on a U-47 by any stretch of the imagination. It uses a "miniature" tube which is what gives it an "air" and a "shimmer" [much like the "air" and "shimmer" you'd find from an M-19 or M-269c].

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace.
Old 8th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
One last little correction... the AK-47 is not based on a U-47 by any stretch of the imagination.
Glad you caught that one quickly, Fletcher.
Old 8th May 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
Hello,

I'd like to add a valve mic to my mic locker (that will be my first one).
It will be used for vocals, drums, guitars..
The AK47 seems like an affordable option, based on the classic U47.
Can anyone comment on this mic, how does it sound like?
Smooth, bright, dark,big?
Or any other suggestion for an affordable 1st valve mic?

Thanks

J
I just recorded a whole album with that mic. I think its great. Its smooth, dark and big. Never bright I don't think. You can hear it on all the songs on My Space

www.myspace.com/reaganbrowne
Old 9th May 2007
AK47

The Telefunken USA AK47 is a great addition to any microphone cabinet. It has an amazingly high output and a great deal of headroom, which means you will achieve better gain staging, thus allowing less self noise through your chain. You won't have to run the pre as hot. It is a great vocal microphone because it exhibits a smooth, warm texture with so shortage of proximity effect, at least to my ears.

The AK47 sounds incredible on the snare side of the drum kit. It gives me the thick crack I like from the snare, while maintaining the nice crisp detailed sound of the H/H.

peace
mixwell
Old 10th May 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for your input,

I'm also looking at the Gefell UM70, probably different but praised by many people.
I'm basically looking for one High end mic as I have none at the moment.
Old 10th May 2007
Lives for gear

Will the telefunken AK47 be good for drum overhead ?
Old 10th May 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
One last little correction... the AK-47 is not based on a U-47 by any stretch of the imagination. It uses a "miniature" tube which is what gives it an "air" and a "shimmer" [much like the "air" and "shimmer" you'd find from an M-19 or M-269c].
I'm glad you caught that Fletcher. I have noticed that there does seem to be a misconception that the AK47 is a U47 clone, maybe it's the number... In all actuallity, the AK47 was designed to be a different sounding mic in it's own right. True, it does use a miniature tube to give it some "air" and "shimmer," but a lot of the sound also comes from the big, beefy output transformer, which is similar to the transformer found in the U47. I hope that helps.
Old 10th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
Glad you caught that one quickly, Fletcher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunken USA View Post
I'm glad you caught that Fletcher.
I think there's an echo in here.

...an echo in here.
Old 10th May 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
I think there's an echo in here.

...an echo in here.
...echo in here

...here

...here

heh
Old 10th May 2007
member no 666

188ms on the left side... 376ms on the right... unless you speak Hebrew or Arabic as a native language in which case reverse the panning.
Old 10th May 2007
I was thinking more like 45 hours. Just mono.
Old 6th June 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reag1502 View Post
I just recorded a whole album with that mic. I think its great. Its smooth, dark and big. Never bright I don't think. You can hear it on all the songs on My Space

www.myspace.com/reaganbrowne
Hey Reagan,

I just got around to listening and really like the project. Great songs. I really like High on Loving You!

Do you mind telling what FX you used and the basic settings? I really like the delay and verb.

This mic sounds really good.

Thanks!
Old 15th June 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
The AK47 is great as a drum overhead. Snare side every time. It can give you the crack from the snare while maintaining the clear, detailed sound of the high hat. I will use the AK on the snare side and use the M16 on the floor side for a more "sheen" sound of the ride cymbal just to poke it out a little bit. Sometimes it can get lost in the mix if you just have the OH's and no close mic.

peace
mixwell
Old 15th June 2007
I'd rather have the Telefunken M16 MKII as an overhead, it's easily just as good as the AK47, just not as mellow in the highs, which is why I think it's more appropriate for overheads. Crisp but smooth is a good thing.

There is a blurb on Telefunken's site about Steven Miller using these on Dave Matthews band drums.

Telefunken USA | Press Releases

And another one here about John Feldman from Goldfinger using them for drum overheads.

Telefunken USA | Telefunken R-F-T M16 Mk II
Old 15th June 2007
member no 666

See I would disagree with that... I've been digging the M-16 on vocals more than overheads. The midrange on the M-16 is very "focused" where the AK-47 has a good measure more "air" and "sparkle".

I've found that especially with overheads the AK-47 plugged into the NPNG pre-amp gets me the shimmer and "sparkle" I want from my cymbals with no EQ... where with the M-16 on vocals when I couple it with the Thermionic Culture "Earlybird 2.0" I get this vocal that has all the 'air' and emotion I could ever ask to achieve... coupled with a vocal sound that just sits in the mix with authority and swagger.

I guess it's all about how you work and the results you'd like to achieve... which I guess could also be said as "Your Mileage May Vary"

Peace.
Old 15th June 2007
Lives for gear

I liked the AK-47 a lot on acoustic and backgrounds.
Pretty good on piano too.
Old 15th June 2007
Gear Maniac

i've wanted to get my hands on a pair of u67s to use as OHs for ages but cant run to them. Am thinking of a pair of ak47s for the same purpose..eg.crisp and warm sounding. I read this review on the net and it sounds exactly like what im after

This mic is about the warm and fuzzies. It sounds downright old. While the 2247 sounded in many ways like a poor man's M149, the AK47 has got a different thing. It sounds old. It has the least high end of any modern condensor I've tested. But, you can add a high shelf and it takes it well. I completely hear the old 49 in here...that chewy, yummy midrange with that warm "fuzz" that only seems to come with vintage mics. And I don't mean it sounds like the old 49 so much as it's got that vibe.

Is this guy full of ****?And if anyone says 'listen to it yourself etc etc' then they can point me in the direction of a UK dealer cos i cant find one.
Old 15th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
See I would disagree with that... I've been digging the M-16 on vocals more than overheads. The midrange on the M-16 is very "focused" where the AK-47 has a good measure more "air" and "sparkle".

I've found that especially with overheads the AK-47 plugged into the NPNG pre-amp gets me the shimmer and "sparkle" I want from my cymbals with no EQ... where with the M-16 on vocals when I couple it with the Thermionic Culture "Earlybird 2.0" I get this vocal that has all the 'air' and emotion I could ever ask to achieve... coupled with a vocal sound that just sits in the mix with authority and swagger.

I guess it's all about how you work and the results you'd like to achieve... which I guess could also be said as "Your Mileage May Vary"

Peace.
Now i'm confuse......it's not new , but hehehehe, i guess i will have to A/B thoses 2
as OH'S.....
Old 14th April 2008
Here for the gear

Telefunken AK-47 and Avant CV-12 the same mic??

Check this out! I just bought a new Telefunken AK-47, which I love, BUT, now I found what appears to be the exact same mic from Avant Electronics (the CV-12) for only $499. The Avant even comes in the exact same little wooden cheap box that my Telefunken came in. AT least Avant includes a carrying case... for 1/3 the price!!!!

Check it out and let me know what you think.... I hate being ripped off!

AVANTONE CV-12 TUBE MIC
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

I'm sure if you A/B thoses 2, you will hear the difference..........
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

It's probably that the housing (is that the correct word?) is the same, coming from China, but it's what's inside that counts, and it's probably not at all the same microphone behind that red dress..
Old 15th April 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
It's probably that the housing (is that the correct word?) is the same, coming from China, but it's what's inside that counts, and it's probably not at all the same microphone behind that red dress..
From another thread... it appears it has the same chinese capsule and tube as well.

Amplifier card and transformer being the main differences.

Haven't heard the Avant, so I have no comment on the most important aspect... the sound.
Old 15th April 2008
It's a great mic in this price range. Most anything in this price range that sounds decent is all or partially made in China.
Old 15th April 2008
AB3
Lives for gear

the amplifier card and transformer are critical differences. The tube can always be upgraded if needed. The capsule could also be different? Perhaps someone from Telefunken can specify the exact differences.

I could careless that the shell i smade in China. They bought up much of our steel plants. So in a why they are made with U.S.A. machinery in China?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
From another thread... it appears it has the same chinese capsule and tube as well.

Amplifier card and transformer being the main differences.
Old 15th April 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
the amplifier card and transformer are critical differences. The tube can always be upgraded if needed. The capsule could also be different? Perhaps someone from Telefunken can specify the exact differences.

I could careless that the shell i smade in China. They bought up much of our steel plants. So in a why they are made with U.S.A. machinery in China?
I completely agree that it doesn't matter where the metalwork comes from...

The guys from mercenary said they use the same capsule and tube... and you can certainly upgrade anything you want in any mic... although, I don't think the miniature tube is a weak point.... Not sure what options are out there for swapping, but the EF732 has been used in other mics with good results.

As far as the amplifier and transformer being critical differences.... it's quite likely it does contribute to a different tone (they definitely have a nice transformer in it). However, the importance of the capsule cannot be stressed enough in any microphone design. The capsule is equivalent to the engine in your vehicle.

I would prefer not speculate on the sound differences, as I have no first hand experience.
Old 15th April 2008
AB3
Lives for gear

Thanks Tony. And I assume that we do not absolutely know that the capsule is the same in the Chinese mic and the Tele mic, even if they look alike. Or do we have proof of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I would prefer not speculate on the sound differences, as I have no first hand experience.
Old 15th April 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Thanks Tony. And I assume that we do not absolutely know that the capsule is the same in the Chinese mic and the Tele mic, even if they look alike. Or do we have proof of this?
You can reference the following thread for more info on the topic:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...-same-mic.html
Old 15th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
The AK47 has been good on everything I've tried it on so far, drum overheads included and especially. It smokes on bass cabinets, acoustic guitar, vocals, the list goes on. They are some of the best mics I own (and I have some that cost a few times as much as them). There is not one single thing I would change in those mics, not even swap out a tube if a free one was given to me. Hey, I just like how the damned things sound...

Ed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search