The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Barefoot mm27 speaker hissing Studio Monitors
Old 28th September 2018
Gear Nut

Barefoot mm27 speaker hissing

I recently got a pair of Barefoot mm27 gen 2 speakers and have been using them for about the last 4 weeks. I noticed about 2 weeks ago that there is a faint hiss or slight “ring” happening in the left speaker. I understand that all speakers have some sort of “hiss” to them but it concerns me that there is more in one of them than the other. It’s extremely faint and if I wasn’t in a properly treated room I’d guess I would not be able to hear it at all but now that I have heard it, it’s driving me crazy! Especially being on primarily one side!

Just curious if anyone has experienced this or any ideas on what I should do.
Old 28th September 2018
Gear Head

I’ve never had an issue like that. It’s not your monitor controller is it?
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGold View Post
I recently got a pair of Barefoot mm27 gen 2 speakers and have been using them for about the last 4 weeks. I noticed about 2 weeks ago that there is a faint hiss or slight “ring” happening in the left speaker. I understand that all speakers have some sort of “hiss” to them but it concerns me that there is more in one of them than the other. It’s extremely faint and if I wasn’t in a properly treated room I’d guess I would not be able to hear it at all but now that I have heard it, it’s driving me crazy! Especially being on primarily one side!

Just curious if anyone has experienced this or any ideas on what I should do.
Have you completely troubleshooted the issue?:
swap your two speakers (only the speakers, leave the power cables and input cables where they are in case the outlet or something else is the issue) and see if the problem "travels" with the speaker.

If it follows the speaker, contact Barefoot.
Old 28th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Have you completely troubleshooted the issue?:
swap your two speakers (only the speakers, leave the power cables and input cables where they are in case the outlet or something else is the issue) and see if the problem "travels" with the speaker.

If it follows the speaker, contact Barefoot.
Yes I’ve tried just about everything. I’ve used different cables, different outlets. I’ve physically swapped the speakers left to right, turned them on with no cables attached, tried with and without meme hooked up. Nothing changed.
William with Barefoot just emailed me today so I’ll see what they can find out.
Old 28th September 2018
Gear Addict

Contact the manufacturer right away. Had the same problem with one of mine. The dealer I purchased mine from, sent me another bad one back, so I went directly to Barefoot, they took it back sent out a new one immediately. Great service with those guys. Don’t know if your in the states or not, or purchased new.
Old 29th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
Contact the manufacturer right away. Had the same problem with one of mine. The dealer I purchased mine from, sent me another bad one back, so I went directly to Barefoot, they took it back sent out a new one immediately. Great service with those guys. Don’t know if your in the states or not, or purchased new.
I’m in the states.
It was a “Demo Deal” from VK. I talked again to them today and they said I could possibly buy a new pair and just send back the noisiest ones. I’ll see what Barefoot says though!
Even with the hiss I feel like I can’t live without these now! The mixes we’ve done the past few weeks have been by far our best and just really feel like I hear everything better on them!
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

VK and Barefoot should treat a "demo deal" the same as a new purchase. For VK, it's in their terms on demo deals. So no need to be taken for more money.
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

I purchased used gen 1 mm27s from VK a few years back. They developed a known switch issue and needed to be repaired at the factory and even though I had had them for less than a month, VK said they were "as-is" and I got stuck with the repair cost and shipping them coast to coast twice....

Buyer beware when purchasing used or demoed gear from VK (or anywhere I suppose)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search