The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Channel Strips / Preamps Channel Strips
Old 27th September 2018
Here for the gear

New Channel Strips / Preamps

I'm currently searching for a Channel Strip or standalone Preamp, mainly for recording vocals, acoustic guitar and DI'ing bass guitar. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a Avalon VT-737SP but after reading this forum it kind of put me off the purchase.

Most channel strips I see have been on the market for years, not that that's a bad thing, but I'm wondering if any new high-end channel strips or preamps have been released in the last couple of years that I may not be familiar with - any recommendations?
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear
DW Fearn VT15
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

Rupert Neve's Shelford channel
Old 28th September 2018
+1 for the Shelford. The RND Portico II is also excellent. It doesn’t get much mention around here specifically but the Buzz Audio ARC is extremely flexible and sounds great too as does all the Buzz gear.
Old 28th September 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks guys, the RND Portico II is peaking my interest, from the reviews and user feedback it appears perfect for my needs, there is a 2nd hand one I'm trying to haggle down on. The Shelford also looks good but some feedback seems to suggest its more limited in use compared to the Portico II.
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackURbody View Post
I'm currently searching for a Channel Strip or standalone Preamp, mainly for recording vocals, acoustic guitar and DI'ing bass guitar. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a Avalon VT-737SP but after reading this forum it kind of put me off the purchase.

Most channel strips I see have been on the market for years, not that that's a bad thing, but I'm wondering if any new high-end channel strips or preamps have been released in the last couple of years that I may not be familiar with - any recommendations?
Aurora Audio GTQC (with 2 compressors, one fet, one opto, you can decide if use one, the other or both).. Sounds really great!
You might even find one used.

Build your own channelstrip with a 500 series rack: (not the cheapest way, but you could choose and pick).

Preamps:
Avedis MA5 (for that N sounds)
Forssell SMP-500 (if you want a cleaner preamp)
Plus get a Radial JDI or a sansamp

Eq (if wanted/needed):
- Avedis E27 (incredibly good sounding)
- API 550a (sounds great and it's very fast while tracking)
- Crane Song Insignia (a tube eq which sounds really nice, sweet and precise at the same time)
- Pulse Techniques 500 (pultec solid state in the 500 series, sounds great)

Comps:
- IC the Brute
- Crane Song Falcon
- JDK V12

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 28th September 2018
Lives for gear

Grace m103 might be of interest.
Old 29th September 2018
Chandler TG Microphone Cassette

Not sure if you're settled yet, but I demo'd a Chandler TG Microphone Cassette, which I thought was beautiful. Very very cool EQ, interesting opto comp and a fine gain control on the pre that acts like a tone control to dial in a darker or more toothsome flavor. The way all three components play together is amazing. I loved it.
Old 29th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackURbody View Post

The Avalon 737sp was my first channel strip. I still love it. It is super clean, but I find it super useful.

For a first channel, I recommend the following:

The Neve Portico II or the Shelford Channel
The Chandler TG Channel
The Chandler Ltd-2
BAE or Ams Neve 1073
Or, anything DW Fearn
Old 30th September 2018
500 series nutjob

for a Channel Strip i like the A-Designs Ventura SE.
Ventura SE Mic Preamp, Instrument Preamp / DI, EQ

but i am a very big 500 format slut and would say get a linchbox and then let chat about some killer quality moduales that will allow you to get what you want form the from to the back.
Old 30th September 2018
Gear Head

Get a shelford or portico and be done with it! Finally bought my first pieces of neve gear last week and i wish i did a lot sooner! Find a dealer that will let you use the gear your interested in, play with em and send back what you don't want and buy what you need
Old 30th September 2018
Deleted 2915a84
Aurora GTQC
Old 30th September 2018
Old 30th September 2018
Lives for gear

No love for the Manley Core?
It’s super affordable.
Old 30th September 2018
Here for the gear

I just bought a Shelford Channel.... my search has ended.
Now I just need to find a great microphone to pair with it!
Old 1st October 2018
Quote:

I've got a Sebatron AXIS tube preamp which I've had for a few years and that's my go to pre. It's wide fast and transparent but can be colored when pushed or dialed in. It works remarkably well with my complete microphone range from Ribbons to Dynamics to Condensers.
Love it on vocals , acoustic guitar and D.I'd Bass etc. and for running mixes through to 'warm' things up a little.
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Maniac

The Avalon VT737SP is a good choice despite what others say on this site.

Other preamps would be a

Vintage 1064/1066/1073/1079/1082/1084/1085/31102
Vintage 1081/1083/1091/1093/1095/31105
AMS Neve Reissue 1073 DPX
AMS Neve Reissue 1073 SPX
AMS Neve Reissue 1081
BAE 1073/1084/10xx (the preamps with expanded eq)
Chandler LTD2
Chandler TG Channel Strip
Chandler TG2 which is a dual preamp but not considered a channel strip.
and a Focusrite ISA-430MKII
Old 5th October 2018
Here for the gear

I'm still biding my time on negotiating a good deal on a 2nd hand portico II. Its getting closer...
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Addict

hi, consider the Retro Channelstrip.
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbaide View Post
I've got a Sebatron AXIS tube preamp which I've had for a few years and that's my go to pre. It's wide fast and transparent but can be colored when pushed or dialed in. It works remarkably well with my complete microphone range from Ribbons to Dynamics to Condensers.
Love it on vocals , acoustic guitar and D.I'd Bass etc. and for running mixes through to 'warm' things up a little.
Totally agree here! If Teglar to others were a fashionable secret everyone is now beginning to understand the Axis, VMP to SMAC Sebatron units are Audio master strokes required at a cost ratio where soon they’ll be near exotic boutique and unaffordable!

Sadly life’s like that!
Old 7th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Music View Post
No love for the Manley Core?
It’s super affordable.
Not their finest hour in my opinion!
Old 7th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
+1

T
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Head

I love the Avalon 737 for vocals, guitar, and bass. It adds kind of a glassy high end smoothness (which might be perfect for some applications), but there is something magical about the natural warmth and musicality of the 1073. I have yet to hear a vintage 1073 next to a shelford channel, so I can't speak on that.
Old 28th January 2019
Any other thoughts on the Grace m103?

I'm quite interested in getting this...though I'd be interested in coloured options with the same flexibility of eq/ comp the m103 has.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search