The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
compressor for vocal chain Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 26th September 2018
Here for the gear

compressor for vocal chain

Hi there,

I have a AKG 414 XLII in combination with a Millennia HV3. I think it works pretty nice together. Now I'm looking for a compressor to expand my vocal chain. What do you think is the best choice for this combination.

Thanks a lot, HP
Old 27th September 2018
I purchased a Retro Sta-level and literally could not be happier with the vocal sound it’s given me!
Old 28th September 2018
Knowing what genres you’re working on most often would help. Along with the Sta Level, I’m a huge Retro fan and really love the 176 for tracking and mixing.
Old 28th September 2018
Gear Addict
Check out the Art Pro VLA II
Old 30th September 2018
Lives for gear

tracking the 176
mixing the STA
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

compressor for vocal chain?

Chandler RS124
Old 2nd October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post

Chandler RS124
I love how this one sounds, from all I've heard, but I am missing a bypass button. Since you have it, can you pls tell me if the unit is true bypass when it is turned off?

Since I use the same chain for mixbus dutties, I need to be able to easily switch the compressor off and on without cutting the signal or changing cables.

I hope I made myself clear explaining this.

Also, have you compared it to the Retro 176, and why would you choose the RS124 over the Retro?

Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttattwa View Post
I love how this one sounds, from all I've heard, but I am missing a bypass button. Since you have it, can you pls tell me if the unit is true bypass when it is turned off?

Since I use the same chain for mixbus dutties, I need to be able to easily switch the compressor off and on without cutting the signal or changing cables.

I hope I made myself clear explaining this.

Also, have you compared it to the Retro 176, and why would you choose the RS124 over the Retro?

Thanks
I don't have the Retro 176 to compare so I can't comment. I'm sure its wonderful. Currently I primarily use the RS124 for vocals. Its fantastic. I'm very happy with it.

However, it does not have a bypass switch. If you are asking about the On/Off switch - this turns the unit off (powers it down) and the unit does not pass audio when its off.

I have been considering buying a second RS124 and using them on Mix Bus. To do this I would need to send mine in and get it upgraded to the mastering version and have it matched to a second mastering version. If I do this I will probably also get something like the TK Audio S-Blender which provides a wet/dry mix, bypass and other such configurations.

I also have a Mercury M66 which is also great on vocals.
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

LA 4 opto
Old 4th October 2018
Chandler RS124 is great for sure. The Buzz SOC20 is also a big sounding and easy piece to use for vocals or most uses. It’s capable of a fast attack so quite versatile for an opto.
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:

Chandler RS124
For your mic and pre the 124 will not disappoint. I’ll bet Wade could put in a bypass switch for you.
Old 4th October 2018
Quote:
I don't have the Retro 176 to compare so I can't comment. I'm sure its wonderful. Currently I primarily use the RS124 for vocals. Its fantastic. I'm very happy with it.

However, it does not have a bypass switch. If you are asking about the On/Off switch - this turns the unit off (powers it down) and the unit does not pass audio when its off.

I have been considering buying a second RS124 and using them on Mix Bus. To do this I would need to send mine in and get it upgraded to the mastering version and have it matched to a second mastering version. If I do this I will probably also get something like the TK Audio S-Blender which provides a wet/dry mix, bypass and other such configurations.

I also have a Mercury M66 which is also great on vocals.
Thank you. And yes, I was asking about the on/off switch. Some units have a true bypass relay (like guitar pedals) so when they are switched off the signal still goes through. In this case I love the sound of the RS124 but the lack of bypass switch is a logistic problem: I use 4 high quality channels (preamp-apogee) for different purposes and I need it to be versatile, as sometimes I would need theRS124 ON and some other times I would need it OFF. I will see if there is any easy solution to this. The Retro 176 has a bypass switch, and from what I have read it sounds very similar, it is more versatile, but it is not so easy to use (not so dumbproof). When I am composing I don't want to take focus out of the arrangement and become an engineer with too many knobs, so that's why I favour the RS124 at first.

I don't want to mod the unit, also, I never mod anything apart from changing tubes.
Old 4th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsand View Post
For your mic and pre the 124 will not disappoint. I’ll bet Wade could put in a bypass switch for you.
man that would be useful
that said I use my pair on a regular basis regardless
they are thick and rich and creamy sounding.
superfuse makes them sound lighter and faster to me
Old 5th November 2018
Gear Nut

What’s your budget?
I personally love the Tubetech CL1B it can go from subtle to super squashed without it ever sounding bad!
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysputnik07 View Post
Hi there,

I have a AKG 414 XLII in combination with a Millennia HV3. I think it works pretty nice together. Now I'm looking for a compressor to expand my vocal chain. What do you think is the best choice for this combination.

Thanks a lot, HP
It depends. If you want a smooth, simple to use compressor with tube warmth, the LA2A is probably the most widely used vocal compressor ever used. The 1176 is a very close second and is a FET compressor with an adjustable input, output, attack, release and ratio. So, it has more flavors and sounds due to its flexibility.

The slutty answer is: Buy both.
Old 22nd January 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks very much for your inputs. I do melodic EDM with female singers most. Can anybody compare the tube tech cl1b with the Chandler 124? That would be very interesting. And which one should be a better pairing with the superclean millennia pre?
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Nut

Drawmer 1978 rocks ..

Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

1176 . old one if you can.

i dont like the UA reissues as much.

Buddha
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Head

A optical is always nice.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
... And which one should be a better pairing with the superclean millennia pre?
I run my RS124 on female vocals and a clean pre all the time. Sounds fantastic. I'm doing mostly pop.
Old 22nd January 2019
LA2A.

No matter what else I use, I find myself coming back to it.

I could write a love song about how much I love the LA2A.

Sometimes I add the 1176 into the chain if I want more aggression.

Strangely enough, the Chandler Zener limiter is also a great vocal compressor.
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Can anybody compare the tube tech cl1b with the Chandler 124? That would be very interesting.?
I've been wondering this as well. Would love to hear others' take.
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Maniac

I’m using a Buzz soc 1.1 and love it. Very good at light compression and you have to really screw things up to over-compress. Adds a nice “finished” sheen to the sound too I think.. really quite cheap compared to lots of the units on this thread. Just my 2p
Old 20th March 2019
Here for the gear

I've been using an IGS One LA 500, but they make it in 19" rack as well. I love it for tracking vocals. I use it in Limit mode and set it for about 3dB of gain reduction.
Old 20th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttattwa View Post
Thank you. And yes, I was asking about the on/off switch. Some units have a true bypass relay (like guitar pedals) so when they are switched off the signal still goes through. In this case I love the sound of the RS124 but the lack of bypass switch is a logistic problem: I use 4 high quality channels (preamp-apogee) for different purposes and I need it to be versatile, as sometimes I would need theRS124 ON and some other times I would need it OFF. I will see if there is any easy solution to this. The Retro 176 has a bypass switch, and from what I have read it sounds very similar, it is more versatile, but it is not so easy to use (not so dumbproof). When I am composing I don't want to take focus out of the arrangement and become an engineer with too many knobs, so that's why I favour the RS124 at first.

I don't want to mod the unit, also, I never mod anything apart from changing tubes.

I’ve got an RS124 and love it on vocals, but always find a true bypass helpful.

That said, if you track with compression in parallel the need for a bypass it mitigated significantly as you can mix in as much or little as you’d like.

Just a thought, since I pretty much only ever track with all processing in parallel. I always want the uncompressed stem as well as the processed stem available, and when I’m tracking like this, in parallel, then I pretty much never resort to using bypass on any compressors that have it, so it kind of becomes a moot point.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search