The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sony MPX and API
Old 24th October 2002
Sony MPX and API

Has anyone seen or heard a Sony MPX console with replacement Api modules?
Is it a viable option to a full blown Api console?
Old 24th October 2002
member no 666

Yes, and in many ways, yes. First of all, it ain't cheap to add the API modules to the MXP-3000, but it is a definite step up. The MXP-3K doesn't really have a whole lot of tone to it... so by adding things like API or Avalon modules, you'll give the desk some much needed character.

The downside is that you have to order the modules that go into the MXP-3K in either groups of 8 or 12 [I don't recall off the top of my head], but if you can afford it, it is [IMHO] well worth it.

Best of luck with the project...
Old 24th October 2002
Lives for gear

Chrisso....

Before you go down that path have a chat with Fred Forssell

@ www.forsselltech.com..

he 100% redoes and rejigs mxp with his own tube inputs channels..

They are expensive but **** if god has a mixer he prolly has one of them!

I think it would kinda work out the same byt he time u add API or Hardy Pres and EQ's... his channel trips are tube mic -pres, and they have 3 band parametric Eq and opto compressors on EVERY Channel!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 24th October 2002
Thanks guy's.
I've been in touch with Api.
BTW Fletcher, the modules have to be ordered in blocks of 8.
They ain't cheap either.
My cunning plan has now been blown out of the water. The basic Sony console is pretty cheap second hand. I already have a few Api 500 modules and there are tasty 'originals' always coming up on ebay. But the guy from Api says you can only use specific Api modules; the 212S (input) and 550S (eq).
It would have worked if you could have bought a basic console and added Forssell, Hardy and Api modules as and when you could afford them.
Old 27th October 2002
Lives for gear

Sony & API

In case anybody doesn't already know, the reason that you can't use any used API module off of EBAY is because the Sony consoles have a narrower module width. Not sure of the Sony dimensions, but it is substantially narrower than the stock API 500 series. (this doesn't even address things like multipin connectors and other possible problems.)

Anyone know if the Sony modules are the same as the API 200 series that are used on the Legacy consoles? (Also known as the L series as in 550L)

steve
[email protected]
Old 27th October 2002
Re: Sony & API

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve

Anyone know if the Sony modules are the same as the API 200 series that are used on the Legacy consoles? (Also known as the L series as in 550L)

steve
[email protected]
I'm told by Api (or should it be Ati now) that the input module for the Sony console is the 212s - basically the same as used in the Legacy console. The eq module is the 550s, presumably similar to the 500 series Api module.
Old 27th October 2002
Lives for gear

The only difference between the 212 for the Legacy and Sony is the connector. Dimentionwise they are the same. The legacy 212s can be modified to be used in the Sony without a great deal of trouble.
Old 28th October 2002
Gear Head

Isn't this one of the consoles that John Hardy makes mic pre repalcement cards for? That doesn't get you nicer EQ unfortunatesly, but having better pre's might be nice. I think they are around $3-400 per channel.

John
Old 28th October 2002
Yep,
Hardy MicPre's, Api MicPre's and EQ's plus you can replace whole sections of the mixer with modules from Forssell.
I guess it would be an amazing console if you could afford to do all that.
Old 28th October 2002
Cool thread!
Old 28th October 2002
Did I mention that I've seen the MXP 3036 for as little as $8,500.......and in more than one location.
Anybody Know anything about Tweed consoles?
Old 28th October 2002
Lives for gear

YES........... what about Tweed?.....

Lets hear it cos they are one of the 'other' neve 'esqu clones that sprung up ala Audix, Calrec etc.

Basically ex-neve crew went out on their own to offer teh same type of thing for less....

Tell me more about what you found in the way of Tweed.....EXTREMELY rare btw...

PEACE
Wiggyheh
Old 28th October 2002
Wiggy,
You're the Neve slut, you tell me.
Seriously though, I might be able to get my mits on one and before I went to that effort I was wondering if they were any good.
Old 30th October 2002
Gear Nut

tweeds and mxps

i had the interesting experience of sitting in on an install of a tweed board a few months ago. unfortunately, it was not in great shape, and they were, of course, having a hell of a time getting it in running order. in fact, last i heard they were going to basically turn right around and sell it after all they went through. a friend of mine who got to work on it said it sounded great (of course) but that it was a nightmare in terms of chasing down problems.

i suppose the message is, yes, they sound great, but you'd better be sure you've got someone with experience working on these boards (which did seem significantly different from a neve internally).

in terms of mxps, dont forget that forssell also makes a master section upgrade as well as channels. to see a good rundown of the MANY stock configs that were available, check out AEA (aka Wes Dooley, restorer and and reproducer of RCA ribbon mics):

http://www.wesdooley.com/Sony_MXP3000.html

ed
Old 30th October 2002
RE: Tweed
Sounds hellish.
Thanks for the warning.
Wiggy, know anyone down under who could maintain something Tweedish?
Old 30th October 2002
Lives for gear

Hmmm..

there are a few i could recommend... but why u want someone over here?... its a long way to send stuff to be fixed... and expensive.. i import stuff from UK all the time and OUTBOARD costs a fortune.. so whats a big MOFO desk gona cost?...

Better call around mig studios and find someone. or call funky junk?

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 2nd November 2002
Gear Head

Here's another tweed, maybe they know where to go for maintenance/repairs in the UK

http://www.deltalab.dk/GALLERY_CONTROL.htm
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Guru

That's one GROOVY control room!
Old 5th November 2002
Lives for gear

grggt YEAH BABY!!! heh heh heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search