The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
White Lion "Wait" Acoustic Guitar Sound Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd September 2018
Gear Nut

White Lion "Wait" Acoustic Guitar Sound

I heard the White Lion song "Wait" yesterday, and I've long wondered how you get that 80's metal extra plucky, chimey acoustic guitar sound. I've tried to replicate it but never got close. Is it the guitar, like new strings or a 12 string, or a fast compressor and some micro-pitch or harmonizing, chorus, anything? Obviously the guitar player and the expertise of Michael Wagener played a hand in it, too.

Anyone know? If Mr. Wagener can reply with microphone and signal chain information, that would be a dream. Thanks!
Old 22nd September 2018
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwacko View Post
I heard the White Lion song "Wait" yesterday, and I've long wondered how you get that 80's metal extra plucky, chimey acoustic guitar sound. I've tried to replicate it but never got close. Is it the guitar, like new strings or a 12 string, or a fast compressor and some micro-pitch or harmonizing, chorus, anything? Obviously the guitar player and the expertise of Michael Wagener played a hand in it, too.

Anyone know? If Mr. Wagener can reply with microphone and signal chain information, that would be a dream. Thanks!
As far as I remember it was a great acoustic guitar to begin with, great room too (AmigoStudios in North Hollywood R.I.P.). I think we used one of the C12 that Christopher Cross used for the vocals on "Sailing" through a John Hardy M-1 mic pre.
I might have used a bit of a BBE 802 on the guitar and of course tons of reverb. All that said, Vito is just an amazing guitar player and most of the time you can just put a mic somewhere in the vicinity of him playing and it will sound great.
Old 22nd September 2018
Gear Nut

Wow, too cool. Thank you Michael!
Old 22nd September 2018
Gear Guru

I'm guessing it's a 12, maybe doubled. Very solid, strong playing.
Old 23rd September 2018
Gear Guru

Sounds like a 12 string to me too, and some Eventide sparkly, maybe? Michael?
Old 29th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Any Vito sightings? Ain't nothing but a damn shame that dude gave up playing guitar.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search