The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Will A Neve Shelford Make A SM7B Shine Single-Channel Preamps
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Head

After having the Shelford for a week now i gotta say this unit has been a lot of fun and pretty simple to figure out! What's your favorite settings on vocals and instruments? I love adding just a touch of silk red to vocals and a moderate amount of silk blue on acoustic guitar. I use the the compressor just lightly and the EQ just add and subtract slightly. Def don't regret getting 2 units. I could of went on a cruise for a week and spent that but than it would be over n i'd be going home empty handed and fatter but with the shelford i always have em around and can put on a healthy dose of PHAT on where it counts!
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Head

Prob a silly silly to most advanced engineers but i'm not advanced and just curious..The output on the Neve Shelford is +26.5dbu and my lavry converter has a max input is +24. The shleford has another output labeled -6 and lowers headroom. Should i be using the -6 output on the shelford since the Lavry can only take in a max of +24dbu? Thanks
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyGold View Post
Prob a silly silly to most advanced engineers but i'm not advanced and just curious..The output on the Neve Shelford is +26.5dbu and my lavry converter has a max input is +24. The shleford has another output labeled -6 and lowers headroom. Should i be using the -6 output on the shelford since the Lavry can only take in a max of +24dbu? Thanks
+26.5dBu is only the maximum output of the Shelford. Normally you would probably run it with its output at about +4dBu which gives you over 20dB headroom. So if your converter has +24dBu equal to 0dBFS then as long as your nominal level is -20dBFS you will have 20dB of headroom. It just means that if you get a really big peak, the converter will clip 2.5dB before the Shelford does.

If you use the Shelford -6 output then presumably it will clip at +20.5dB which is 3.5dB before the converter.

Just use the regular Shelford output and you will be fine. Before you get anywhere near clipping the VU meter will have wrapped itself around the stops.

Cheers

Ian
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrecords View Post
+26.5dBu is only the maximum output of the Shelford. Normally you would probably run it with its output at about +4dBu which gives you over 20dB headroom. So if your converter has +24dBu equal to 0dBFS then as long as your nominal level is -20dBFS you will have 20dB of headroom. It just means that if you get a really big peak, the converter will clip 2.5dB before the Shelford does.

If you use the Shelford -6 output then presumably it will clip at +20.5dB which is 3.5dB before the converter.

Just use the regular Shelford output and you will be fine. Before you get anywhere near clipping the VU meter will have wrapped itself around the stops.

Cheers

Ian
Thanks a lot for your response
Old 5th October 2018
Gear Addict

Agreed! My Portico II is extremely versatile and the silk modes make my SM7b turn into different options instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
I find the Portico II Channel is great with pretty much anything. Inc the SM7B I use mostly for vocals. The compressor is more flexible than the shelford. It's a bit cleaner but overall the extra band of eq + the frequency choices (i.e 12k on the high shelf) put the Portico II Channel above the shelford channel for me. It makes an SM7 sound amazing.

The Shelford is less a workhorse and more a luxury for those that possibly have a lot more hardware and know when/why they want that particular flavour, while the PII can be a workhorse, still provide transformer goodness + silk in both flavours and in the mix you can tweak with quality plugs (or even pass it back out and in again with decent converters).

Both great units of the highest quality though. If I just wanted that 'classic' SM7 rock chain I'd prob go buy a 1073 (not necessarily AMS), 1176 and skip an all in one channel, but for a flexible workhorse HQ doesn't damage your source type of thing, there's very little better than the Portico II imo. You can get heavier flavour elsewhere in separates land.
Old 15th October 2018
Gear Head

Well i like them still but i think they are meant for someone who has a serious studio and records a lot of different stuff so i'm gonna sell them both together and get a U67 reissue...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search