The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
most used studio detune devices in 86-89? Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Head

most used studio detune devices in 86-89?

Hi
Id like to know which were the most used detune devices in studio in the 86-89 perdio. Im referring particularly to hard&heavy stuff (Whitesnake, Dokken, Motley Crue etc)

Thanks a lot
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordT View Post
Hi
Id like to know which were the most used detune devices in studio in the 86-89 perdio. Im referring particularly to hard&heavy stuff (Whitesnake, Dokken, Motley Crue etc)

Thanks a lot
AMS 15-80 or Eventide 910 & 949 were the main culprits.
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

The Publison Infernal Machine 90 was another one....though less commonly seen than AMS or Eventide.
Old 21st September 2018
I used 910's, 949's and most often, a MXR pitch shifter. Those were cheaper but worked great. It was Frank Zappa that first showed me the 910 "detune" trick at the Record Plant in 1977. He used it on the electric bass.
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Head

thx guys!
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

I bought an MXR Pitch Transposer with the Display Option brand new back in 1980. That rig served me well up until last year when it finally passed away.

It is sitting in my warehouse, hoping someday I find someone who can bring it back to life.

This box really made vocals sweet with just a couple cents of pitch shift.

Extreme pitch shifts were always a favorite demo for perspective clients, they were wowed by the range of the box.

The shear wow factor of this box in clever live demos earned me forensic gigs for the FBI and St Louis Police back in the 80's. I did not use the pitch transposer in the actual work but the demos got me into the gigs in the first place.

Today I use the Eventide H910 plugin to achieve the effect, it's not quite as good but a lot more convenient and it's still functional.

I'm not complaining, the MXR turned in a good long run.

If anyone knows where or who can actually repair my Pitch Transposer please let me know. Thanks

Good music to all!
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

Reticon chips in Blue MXR Effects Units!

Hi there,
Just thought I’d say I’d bet you 1000 : 1 it’s the Reticon Chip that has failed in the MXR these are and were great devices though everyone needs to be warned now those Reticon chips were an MXR part and made especially for the company. Now they’re out of production I’d be very, very careful in buying any Blue Vintage MXR Effects Units. As simply unlike Z80’s or Large Scale LSI chips no one can make a Reticon chip replacement! Even if....the problem was the power supply to something else.....that Reticon chip will fail soon. Seems their Lifespan was pretty well predicted as many units have and are failing and thus selling cheap on eBay so please don’t be fooled here Eventide 910 to 949 DBX Lupine boards are aplenty in supply yet not MXR Reticon chips.

Regards
TLB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
I bought an MXR Pitch Transposer with the Display Option brand new back in 1980. That rig served me well up until last year when it finally passed away.

It is sitting in my warehouse, hoping someday I find someone who can bring it back to life.

This box really made vocals sweet with just a couple cents of pitch shift.

Extreme pitch shifts were always a favorite demo for perspective clients, they were wowed by the range of the box.

The shear wow factor of this box in clever live demos earned me forensic gigs for the FBI and St Louis Police back in the 80's. I did not use the pitch transposer in the actual work but the demos got me into the gigs in the first place.

Today I use the Eventide H910 plugin to achieve the effect, it's not quite as good but a lot more convenient and it's still functional.

I'm not complaining, the MXR turned in a good long run.

If anyone knows where or who can actually repair my Pitch Transposer please let me know. Thanks

Good music to all!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search