The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Josephson c715 or Bock 251? Condenser Microphones
Old 19th September 2018
Here for the gear

Josephson c715 or Bock 251?

Hi guys,

this is my first post. I want to buy my first high end mic. I need a great mic for general purpose (mainly vocal, but also acoustic stuff, sometimes guitar amp, sax etc..). If you have the opportunity to buy one of that 2 mics above at the same price, which would you choose? which is more versatile?

thank u very much!
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

They’re both wonderful mics and have a different sound from the other. Actually hearing them is essential before making the considerable investment in either. Are you in a location where that might be possible?
Your taste will be crucial in determining which will work for your needs better. But both are exceptional mics.
Old 19th September 2018
Yes, both are exceptional mics and mic makers. I would lean towards the 715 for versatility, it’s less airy than the 251 so for things like amps and horns it is preferred IMHO.
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

What "burp" said!
These are 2 high-end wonderful mics & are completely different. They would actually complement each other.
The final verdict would have to be YOUR ears.
Old 19th September 2018
I prefer the Josephson C-715. But if you are after a comparable microphone, the C-716 would be better to demo, against the Bock 251
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkner View Post
Hi guys,

this is my first post. I want to buy my first high end mic. I need a great mic for general purpose (mainly vocal, but also acoustic stuff, sometimes guitar amp, sax etc..). If you have the opportunity to buy one of that 2 mics above at the same price, which would you choose? which is more versatile?

thank u very much!
As Burp182 suggested you have to try them in YOUR place with YOUR ears and taste.. I love the 715, but that doesn't make it better for YOU.

Plus I'd throw in a curve ball.. Manley Reference Silver (715 josephson capsule, manley tube circuit).

Cheu
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Maniac

... having personal experience with both, owning C715:
I always find the 251 very airy and high end, polished, sheen, bright, big, ready, even a bit preprocessed if you want. It is a sound that works close to all the time, except you deal with a singer with real sibilance problem or a nasty cymbal on a drumset (like bad hihats), or with sharp and ringy soundig stee string guitars. Then I‘d rather go with something much darker, like a Soundelux E47, Gefell CMV563-M7, Neumann M49 or so...
The C715 on the other hand is much warmer, needs more gain (much more!). I would not really recommend the C715 as a first time pro mic. It is rather special. I love it. But I would not swap it for my brighter mics!
A used original AKG C12A or a Sony C37A could be a great alternative in the middle, if in good shape...
Also Manley Silver as in the former post. That is on the bright side, though.
Or Neumann M149, of course. Still a favourite. Sometimes not so easy to use for unexperienced singers, but if placed right, always a pleasure. But also quite airy.
If you are in the market for a modern forewardish midrange, but mild but prominent air band, I‘d highly recommend the reissue U67!!! (if you find a good one, regarding to Klaus H)
Bock 507 is also a great alternative.
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Guru

get both in your room together for a few days.let your ears decide.
otherwise lose money on resale when it doesn't work for you.
Old 19th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-hiho View Post
Also Manley Silver as in the former post. That is on the bright side, though.
Manley Silver is in the flatter/darker side of the spectrum. You can use it on bright instruments to good effect. Same capsule as Josephson 715 with Manley tube electronics and iron transformer. You may have been thinking of Manley Refc or Gold which are both brighter voiced.
Old 20th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Hm. Not sure if I hear it that way, too.
I tried the Manley Silver, and I really liked it. But I found it very airy. Much more than a vintage Sony would ever sound. Rather in the ballpark of the mighty C800G. Not bad at all, I‘d love to have one in my cupboard!
Hear this Sweetwater example: YouTube
Just jump to around 2:45.
It‘s even close to earsplitting, imho. Absolutely the wrong mic for that guy.
But a great detailled sound anyway. But I‘d need at least two Deesser plugins to get rid of those harsh sibilance issues.
I‘d love to hear that guy with a Joseohson C725 or a vintage Neumann M49.
Old 21st September 2018
Lives for gear

I bought two Bock 251's in 2002. They were called Soundelux then. I have used them constantly in these 16 years. They are being serviced by David Bock right now.
They have never stopped being a source of wonder and excitement. They are amazing. Great on many things. Good to have the option of having that sound in stereo.
I have not heard the Josephson. I have only heard the one josephson mic I own - the E-22s which is great.

I would get them in your room and hear for yourself.

Be well

Jack
Old 22nd September 2018
Lives for gear

I’m still thrilled everytime I use my Soundelux Elux 251.
Old 13th October 2018
Lives for gear

Late to the party and can only comment on the Bock... I did not have the opportunity to test drive or demo mics. When I was looking for my first really nice mic, I wound up dropping an email to info @ bock explaining what I was looking for, and David Bock replied, asked a few questions, then recommended the (now discontinued) 241, a cardioid only version of the 251.

I absolutely love it. Killer on vocals and just about any other source.
Old 13th October 2018
Lives for gear

I have not used a Josephson 715, but I have a 716 and a Bock 251. I don't see them as similar (aside from both being mind-blowing), and I use them both quite a bit. I think trying them out as everyone here is suggesting, and facing the fact that you'll eventually wind up with everything is the best approach - haha.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search