The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which monitors are best known to be really detailed in the mids? Studio Monitors
Old 16th September 2018
Gear Head
Which monitors are best known to be really detailed in the mids?

Looking for new monitors!
Old 16th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Focal Twins are very mid forward.
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

ATC
Old 16th September 2018
I tested a whole bunch of the current crop back to back and went with the PSI A17 which I found to be very mid-forward. YMMV of course. (FWIW my mains are ATC SCM 110 and they pair well together each giving me a very different presentation of material)
Old 16th September 2018
Here for the gear

ATC
Old 16th September 2018
Lives for gear

horn loaded systems imo - and/or use external dsp for adjusting the behaviour of any system...
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

ATC is what you're looking.
Old 17th September 2018
Gear Addict

Proac come to mind
Old 17th September 2018
Gear Nut

PSI a17
Old 17th September 2018
Here for the gear

Check out Kii 3s
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

Barefoot MM27. Maybe 'detailed' is not the right word but they certainly have revealing quality and very clear image of whole freq spectrum.
Old 17th September 2018
Lives for gear

The ProAc Studio 100s are very good for judging the mid frequencies.
Old 18th September 2018
Gear Addict

ATC
Old 18th September 2018
Gear Addict

Nothing that I’ve heard touched any atc’s in the mids. Even the smaller ones but particularly the three way atcs. It’s unbelievable.
Old 19th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichop View Post
PSI a17
+1
Old 19th September 2018
Generally speaking, a 3 way system with the critical mids directed from one driver is clearest. The two way designs with the crossovers set in the mids (like 2500 hz) will affect the mids far more. The reasons are the mids are being cut and re-assembled by the crossovers and the mids are also being modulated by the low frequencies in the woofer. That is like playing guitar out of the bass player's amp. Every time he hits a low note the guitar gets broken up.
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Nut

Jim beat me to it, and he's a greater authority anyways. Go for three-ways if possible, and then you won't have as much need for something like auratones/avantones to hear unmolested midrange. I like sealed cabinets, too, but that's more about bass tightness than midrange precision.
Old 20th September 2018
I can vouch for PSI A17M, they have no competition in their price range. If you have a higher budget, then obviously ATC and PMC comes into play.
Old 20th September 2018
mrc
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Generally speaking, a 3 way system with the critical mids directed from one driver is clearest. The two way designs with the crossovers set in the mids (like 2500 hz) will affect the mids far more. The reasons are the mids are being cut and re-assembled by the crossovers and the mids are also being modulated by the low frequencies in the woofer. That is like playing guitar out of the bass player's amp. Every time he hits a low note the guitar gets broken up.
Thanks for your input, i am also curious to know your opinion on the MTM configuration.
Old 20th September 2018
Lives for gear

ATC are hard to beat, Amphion are very detailed in the mids as well.
Old 20th September 2018
Here for the gear

I’ve been listening to Lipinski L-70s for about a year now alongside Neumanns and Genelecs. The quality and ”realism” of the midrange of the Lipinskis is quite remarkable.

Last edited by jannev; 20th September 2018 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 20th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
mostly agree with this. however, habit is quite powerful - and dsp too:

i'm so much used to my old tad 2-way horn-loaded system that i'm not missing anything even when comparing to 3-way systems.

and with some smart use of external dsp and the addition of allpass filters, i'm getting the phase of most any speaker throughout the whole spectrum to behave as smoothly as i want.
Old 20th September 2018
Gear Addict

When you listen on a small speaker with a single driver and no crossover you'll hear the midrange more clearly as compared with a two or three driver speaker. Try referencing a single mono Auratone or mix cube of your choice. It will be a revelation!
Old 21st September 2018
Except you forgot about the bass modulation of the mids. A 50 hz F# on an electric bass will rip apart the mid frequencies every time a note is played. Same with every kick drum hit.

Waterfall plots show this effect and it's not pretty. Add a sub and that problem is reduced.
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Add a sub and that problem is reduced.
Don't you mean Low-pass to a sub? ... so the 2 way system is effectively band limited, and HPF'ed?

Or are you saying there's a way of running a 2-way full freq, and adding a separate LPassed sub increases mid resolution?
Old 22nd September 2018
High pass the mains. That way the low frequency modulation is reduced. I do that here with my JBL 4408A's. The mids are much clearer that way.
Old 23rd September 2018
Lei
Here for the gear

I’ve heard most of the Barefoot, ATC (25, 45, 110), Focal (Twin, SM9) and smaller PMC’s and I must say that I have yet to hear anything that comes close to Quested V3110 in what I would describe as “detailed mids”. That doesn’t make them the end-all for everything. I switched to Barefoot for mixing and producing pop-music, which gave me better results even though they feel less “detailed in the mids”
Old 24th September 2018
Here for the gear

ATC.
Old 24th September 2018
Love the mids on the Amphion one15. Also, the mids on the KH-310 stand out as "spectacular" for the way I hear things.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search