The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Direct comparisons between Reddi and Fatboy DI Direct Injection Boxes
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Direct comparisons between Reddi and Fatboy DI

I'm in the market for a high quality tube DI primarily for recording electric bass. I'm looking for feed back from users who have direct experience with both these units and how they compare. Cheers
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 5 days ago
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
have you tried a ZOD DI ?? i love mine .. and if you are the Zander i am thinking of and know .. you are welcome to try mine at Mike H's place !!! if i have the wrong Zander then please disregard that part, but please stilll try the ZOD !!! Zod Audio – ID instinctual, untamed tone- the opposite of your average di.
Great, thanks for the offer....I don't think I know Mike H?....but I did buy my console out of Woodland Hills, which formerly belonged to David Michaels of Studio Maintenance services.

I will look up the Zod...cheers
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanderwestcoast View Post
Great, thanks for the offer....I don't think I know Mike H?....but I did buy my console out of Woodland Hills, which formerly belonged to David Michaels of Studio Maintenance services.

I will look up the Zod...cheers
right on .. i was / am still throughly impressed without a preamp - straight into Comp or interface for that matter !! i have said enough !! and to be fair, the other one i have looked at is the Firefly by Radial .. this is a two input unit .. i think it was an Al Schmidt video i saw this in .. or an article about the Firefly with him as a guest ..

Firefly - Studio Quality Direct Box | Radial Engineering
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
right on .. i was / am still throughly impressed without a preamp - straight into Comp or interface for that matter !! i have said enough !! and to be fair, the other one i have looked at is the Firefly by Radial .. this is a two input unit .. i think it was an Al Schmidt video i saw this in .. or an article about the Firefly with him as a guest ..

Firefly - Studio Quality Direct Box | Radial Engineering
Great, thanks for the info.
Old 5 days ago
I love my reddi it imparts incredible fatness and makes your bass sound larger than life with that said, unfortunately when I record my baby bass (the old ampegs) it muddies up the low end too much and I kind of loose the punch for the 100-140htz. Would the zod or the fatboy sound the same?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
I love my reddi it imparts incredible fatness and makes your bass sound larger than life with that said, unfortunately when I record my baby bass (the old ampegs) it muddies up the low end too much and I kind of loose the punch for the 100-140htz. Would the zod or the fatboy sound the same?
thats a really hard question unless someone has one of those basses and one of those DI's .. a long shot but hey ya never know ..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
Probably worth having a couple different DI's to choose from as its unlikely that one DI will match perfect with everything. I am leaning towards the Reddi only because I've heard much more of it online compared to the others including the Fatboy, but from what I've heard it is what I'm looking for in a bass DI.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I have Used the Reddi and most other high end Di's and I feel the Fatboy is the
best sounding I have used by far.
I brought the Teegarden to a session and the studio owner sold his Reddi and got the Fatboy.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
I have Used the Reddi and most other high end Di's and I feel the Fatboy is the
best sounding I have used by far.
I brought the Teegarden to a session and the studio owner sold his Reddi and got the Fatboy.
Interesting. I find that one of the defining factors for good bass tone is when the bass does not thin out as you play up the neck. It remains thick and punchy, but clear and articulate. Much like a good Ampeg B15 tone that sits in the mix well with other instruments. It’s all about the mid range, in particular the low mids for me.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

The Mids are money on the Fatboy....
Ive played on hundreds of tracks and this is my favorite overall tone with most basses with no need for an amp usually.
As for a bass thinning out moving up the neck, I feel this has more to do with the actual instrument than any piece of gear in the chain.
Short or medium scale basses most often sound subjectively better in upper registers on records.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomatic View Post
The Mids are money on the Fatboy....
Ive played on hundreds of tracks and this is my favorite overall tone with most basses with no need for an amp usually.
As for a bass thinning out moving up the neck, I feel this has more to do with the actual instrument than any piece of gear in the chain.
Short or medium scale basses most often sound subjectively better in upper registers on records.
Thanks for the info...I will check it out. I know Bud Wyatt designed it so it will likely sound great. Describing sound can be subjective sometimes, but when I talk about the bass thinning out as you play higher up the neck, I am referring to the fatness and weight that can be lost on some amplifiers and DI's. The B15 amp being an example of an amp that does not lose fatness and weight as you play higher up the neck. I hear the same qualities in the better DI's also. Cheers
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I feel the magic of the fatboy is the combination of color, envelope and a touch of
compression that makes the Bass sit in a track. There is a subtle evening
effect that I love. The B15 is a great distortion box for certain tunes but I
sold mine a while back and usually just DI now and use modeling if I have to go
with more Fur....
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Anyone used the BAE DMP in comparison? Its not a tube DI, but lots of people using them....
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanderwestcoast View Post
Anyone used the BAE DMP in comparison? Its not a tube DI, but lots of people using them....
I use the BAE1073mpf DI for bass, a variety of electric guitars, keys/synths, electro-acoustic and even, the mix (shriek!). Beautiful tone. I have tried the Radial JDI into the pre and it's maybe a bit fuller-sounding; not sure...maybe I should do a proper shootout sometime.

This showed up today:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search