The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How often do you maintain your "vintage" microphones ? Saturation Plugins
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

How often do you maintain your "vintage" microphones ?

How often do you maintain your "vintage" microphones, if you maintain them at all ? granted that I'm talking about microphones that are in "good to moderate" condition of course. Also do you DIY ? or do you ship it to a professional ?

Thanks
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I recently sent an old 'bottle' mic of mine to a good local tech to try and fix a flakey connection on the bayonet mount. After I realized he really knew his stuff and did quality work, I asked him if I should send some of my older mics for a 'tune up'. He basically said 'if you like the way they sound now, don't bother'. Pretty much the old "if it sounds good, it is good" philosophy, and I tend to agree. Even if my old U67 could do with a cleaning, I like the way it sounds NOW so I'm kind of wary of making it 'better'...

Just my two Canadian cents.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
I recently sent an old 'bottle' mic of mine to a good local tech to try and fix a flakey connection on the bayonet mount. After I realized he really knew his stuff and did quality work, I asked him if I should send some of my older mics for a 'tune up'. He basically said 'if you like the way they sound now, don't bother'. Pretty much the old "if it sounds good, it is good" philosophy, and I tend to agree. Even if my old U67 could do with a cleaning, I like the way it sounds NOW so I'm kind of wary of making it 'better'...

Just my two Canadian cents.

Thank you very much.
The reason I'm asking is because were I'm from repairs are scarce and take time, so this will directly affect my decision between a vintage or used mic vs a new one.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffz View Post
Thank you very much.
The reason I'm asking is because were I'm from repairs are scarce and take time, so this will directly affect my decision between a vintage or used mic vs a new one.
The funny thing is that I originally sent my mics to a tech because I had some very old Neumann 'lollipop' capsules that wouldn't seem to connect to the Blue 'Bottle Rocket' base I own, even though they're supposed to be compatible.

The tech fixed the problem, scraping off some old oxidation and other crud that was preventing a good connection. But the weird thing was that when he checked the capsule on my old Telefunken/Neumann M7 capsule, he noticed it was rusted out and almost half eaten away by corrosion. But to both our amazement, it still SOUNDED great. Going purely by looks, he said he would've assumed it was non functional, but if you just plug it in and record, it sounds absolutely lovely (and it's about a 70 year old capsule).

So once again, I think the general rule of thumb is that if it sounds good, it is good.

That said, I still keep my vintage mics covered up to shield them from dust, and store them in a dust free mic cabinet. Keep'em clean and dry and they should last a long time.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search