The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C800G Microphone - Determining the age? Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Sony C800G Microphone - Determining the age?

I'm planning on buying a Sony C800G Mic and I'm looking for visual cues to roughly estimate the age of a used one.

I've read two things relating to age.:

1. The newer ones come in a dark gray case, earlier ones a silver case. Does anyone know in what year Sony switched to the dark gray case?

2. I've also read the that the Power Supply Connector changed at some point although all of the online photos appear to show identical connectors so I'm not sure how the original connector would differ and when that change occurred.

If anyone knows if there are serial number ranges relating to age or any other identifiable cues it would be appreciated.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert13 View Post
I'm planning on buying a Sony C800G Mic and I'm looking for visual cues to roughly estimate the age of a used one.

I've read two things relating to age.:

1. The newer ones come in a dark gray case, earlier ones a silver case. Does anyone know in what year Sony switched to the dark gray case?

2. I've also read the that the Power Supply Connector changed at some point although all of the online photos appear to show identical connectors so I'm not sure how the original connector would differ and when that change occurred.

If anyone knows if there are serial number ranges relating to age or any other identifiable cues it would be appreciated.
I was of the belief that the early ones were in a chunky black case and that they (mythologically)sounded slightly better. I've had a few of each since the 90's and they all sound pretty similar.
Silver cases I believe came later. The "G" on the early ones is gold in type on the black case.
I've never seen a different PSU but that could be memory failure.

Crazy how long these ruled for; 20 years on we have the AA clone for a 10th of the price and most seem to prefer the sound.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

1) First was the black case. Much later the silver.
2) PS did change (very minor stuff - including external voltage selector). Not sure of the exact year.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search