The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quested S8R vs Quested V2108 Studio Monitors
Old 13th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quested S8R vs Quested V2108

Hi

I'm a film/media composer (not professional, but working for it) and I work mainly with top orchestral sample libraries.

I have a pair of Quested S8R mk3 in a room with a reasonable acoustic treatment, on top of lots of wood and books all over the place. Room size is 7m x 5m - 23ft x 15ft. Frequency response on the sweet spot is +/- 6dB across the audible spectrum. A quite natural sounding room I believe.

Quested works great for me and I'm not considering any other brands. I'm only considering the V2108...

As I live in a country where I don't have the possibility to hear the S8R against the V2108, I ask you guys who have heard both monitors against each other if there would be a very strong reason to trade the S8R for the V2108.

I imagine the V2108 will sound better (or not?) considering they cost twice as much the S8R.

I do my own mixing and mastering (I'm also a sound engineer) and I was wondering if the V2108 would be a very noticeable step up from the S8R that would considerably change my music production quality.

Cheers!

Last edited by jdd5; 23rd September 2018 at 01:47 AM..
Old 23rd September 2018
Here for the gear

Anyone?
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

No. Not really.

You'd be better off spending money on a sub (including the quested one) and tuning your room better than +-6 (you really need to get +-3)
Old 23rd September 2018
Lives for gear

Yeap, you need to "clean" your room first, as J. Peterson would say. +-6db is not natural, but out of control.
Old 23rd September 2018
Here for the gear

Room is not perfect but it's fine. Saying it is +/- 6dB does not mean necessarily that frequency response is all ups and downs across the entire spectrum.
Old 23rd September 2018
Gear Maniac

I dont think you can judge either way till you know a bit more about the measurement taken.

was it +/-6db at 1/24 octave, or was it 1/3 octave??

Should generally be looking at 1/24, 1/3 is going to gloss over alot of stuff happening down in the low end.

Id say +/- 6db at 1/24 is pretty good. 3db better.

+/- 6db at 1/3 octave however, is likely to be glossing over peaks and dips that could be +/- 10db plus.

Either way, a waterfall graph is ultimately better to get a real handle on whats happening.
Old 24th September 2018
V2108 are some of my favorite speakers. There is simply no way in hell I would choose the S8R over them
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search