The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
dbx 160 used on most 80s hard&heavy songs for guitar?
Old 24th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I was responding to Jim's posts and asking him questions. Not sure why you felt you had to step into it.
As I said, I do not pretend to speak for Jim.

I stepped into it because this is a public forum.

(Sorry if I somehow offended you.)
Old 24th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMan View Post
I engineer a fair amount of heavy music and pretty much always compress distorted guitar about 2-3db. Optical compression like my Tube-Tube CL1b, 1176's Distressors in the "tape emulation" mode, CLA-3A, Kramer Pye, SSL Channel plug...they all add a certain thing, useful for different situations.

Yes, the source is compressed already because of the nature of distortion. "Musical" compression as we use it in the role of engineer or producer is entirely different. Distortion is not compression that helps place it dynamically in the context of the song, or tightens up a performance. So I usually find even heavy guitars can benefit from some dynamic molding so to speak. CLA, TLA, Joe Barressi all compress here. Another thing you can try is creating a duplicate in parallel that is being distorted by a preamp. I picked this up from Joe Barressi - he calls in an "Enforcer" track. Dude has created some of the meanest guitar tones in music. So there are no rules...compress or dont compress, whatever. Try it out, use your ears

Joe's enforcer track is the third guitar track that he runs up the middle.

He does run pres in parallel. He calls them Fred and Barney.
Old 27th September 2018
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
So plug in your earbuds, use this sound generator and report back as to what you hear/feel from them.

Speaker Frequency vs Audio Frequency
on my yamahas ( wich are not great in my room i can hear the 8 hz pipe organ these speakers are not rated that low but you can with no issues hear it. i could plug in a generator, but i already know i hear far below 20 hz.
spearkers that are not designed below 20 hz with still produce, that just may not be doing it very efficiently.
at least that is my understanding.
Old 27th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
on my yamahas ( wich are not great in my room i can hear the 8 hz pipe organ these speakers are not rated that low but you can with no issues hear it. i could plug in a generator, but i already know i hear far below 20 hz.
spearkers that are not designed below 20 hz with still produce, that just may not be doing it very efficiently.
at least that is my understanding.
There's always harmonics no matter how sharp your filter slope. There are higher frequencies coming your way from that 8 Hz pipe. 8 Hz is just the fundamental frequency being produced.

A true 8 Hz sound wave is not audible as far as I know. If you have a very large speaker, with enough power, you feel sound waves at that frequency.

A headphone/earbud is not actually going to be moving air at 8 Hz in any meaningful way.

Speaker and headphone specs are all over the board and don't really mean much at the extremes. I've found headphone specs to be completely useless.

How can you determine what the matching output of 30 Hz sound wave compared to a 300 Hz wave?

It would seem to me that the variances involved with figuring out how to determine an equal measure of both would be great.

Is 80 decibels of a 30 Hz tone really equal to 80 decibels of a 500 Hz tone? The former should require about 10,000 times more power to produce. There are no low frequencies coming from crickets. Yet they can be pretty damned loud.
Old 27th September 2018
Lives for gear

Old 27th September 2018
500 series nutjob

i can hook a sine wave generator and shoot 8 hz no harmonics and see?
but at hear is what i was sayong that may make sense.
50 hz very very much there bang can't mis it.
32.7 very much there but need a gain bump to be the same level as the 50 hz same case for the 30.86. this could be a number of things but i will go out on a limb and say speaker efficiently.
now, 16 hz i can easily hear a couple others hear can not, i rase the gain they can. againg speaker efficiently.
8 hz i can hear but it is fain no one else can hear it, raise the gain and only one other hears it.
relize my room is very very very well treat and very flat, many hrs and much money have gone into the design and biuld on my room. not tipical of most listening enviments around here.
the only point i would make, is in my room and many other high end rooms you can hear below 20 hz not feel hear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search