The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reverbs: Bricasti M7, AMS RMX-16, Lexicon 480L & 224
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Addict

I think it’s perfectly within izotope and michaels right to drop support for the product under the shift... what I can’t fathom is why they wouldn’t want the type of foot traffic that is willing to drop 3600usd on a reverb. It’s the best association I could think of in the world of reverbs...
Old 16th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by africantigercow View Post
I think it’s perfectly within izotope and michaels right to drop support for the product under the shift... what I can’t fathom is why they wouldn’t want the type of foot traffic that is willing to drop 3600usd on a reverb. It’s the best association I could think of in the world of reverbs...
Yes, truly bizarre and has tarnished Exponential Audio's reputation in my eyes. I'm probably naive in saying this but I would have assumed Izotope would bring more resources to the table, not less. Long term support is one of the key reasons one buys from high end established brands.

Last edited by Teej; 17th April 2019 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

My guess is that it might be best to stop thinking of EA as an entity at all. After some checking around, it would appear that Izotope didn’t take over distribution of EA products but rather bought them lock, stock and barrel. If true, berating EA or Michael is sort of like yelling at your TV after an annoying news story - you’re not really addressing the right source of your displeasure.
One would hope that the physical proximity of Izotope and Casey (I believe both are in the general area of Boston) might lead to some agreement, assuming both are interested.
Fingers crossed.....
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
. . . is sort of like yelling at your TV after an annoying news story .....
Is it only me? - I thought everybody did that.
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

You kids get off my lawn!!!

Man, I’m old.....
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Yes, truly bizarre and has tarnished Exponential Audio's reputation in my eyes. I'm probably nieve in saying this but I would have assumed Izotope would bring more resources to the table, not less. Long term support is one of the key reasons one buys from high end brands established brands.
I don't think it's navie, I think it's simply the wrong angle as resources never played a part. Ask yourself: wasn't it even more unusual for a software reverb company (i.e. EA) to write a controller plugin for another reverb company? If presented with the concept of continuing such a product (which, btw, couldn't have accumulated much profit, if any at all), would you expect Izotope to adopt and support that plugin in the future? Of course they have the resources, and the code already exists, but why would they do so? Maybe it was even more trouble than it was worth?

The more natural next-step, in my opinion, would be for Bricasti to obtain and then stay on top of the plugin, or to develop one of their own, a scenario many of us expected from the beginning. Aren't we curious to know why they've not done either?
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post

-Casey
This was one pompous response. I’m not sure I’d buy from a company who apparently takes their customers for granted, with this nasty attitude.
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
This was one pompous response. I’m not sure I’d buy from a company who apparently takes their customers for granted, with this nasty attitude.
Maybe you didn't understand the full context of the conversation? Casey's about as nice and a straight shooter as they get in this biz.
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

Agreed.
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

companies make business decisions all the time - however in my experience taking something away from customers (or potential customers) may have an invisible negative impact to the company making that decision.
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
companies make business decisions all the time - however in my experience taking something away from customers (or potential customers) may have an invisible negative impact to the company making that decision.
I'm not sure what was taken away. Does the plugin no longer work with the M7? My understanding is that it still operates normally but that it's no longer being supported in the future. That's unfortunate for the few that use it, but there isn't a product I can think of withOUT an eventual retirement in its future.

In any case, I don't think the impact (if there is one) is going to have much, if any, real-world effect on EA/Izotope beyond the few people here (many of which aren't owners of the plugin nor the hardware reverb) who probably aren't losing much sleep over any of this.

If it's a valued and necessary product, why doesn't someone else create a version? I have several "free" customizable MIDI controllers on my iPad and Mac which could be designed to cover this territory. What was great about the plugin was the slick interface and time put into designing it, but nothing that I'm aware of is proprietary about the product.

Where is Bricasti's answer to the question about why they're not adopting it?
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

A worthy question.

Casey, if you’re still monitoring the discussion, could you perhaps weigh in?
Old 18th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I'm not sure what was taken away. Does the plugin no longer work with the M7? My understanding is that it still operates normally but that it's no longer being supported in the future. That's unfortunate for the few that use it, but there isn't a product I can think of withOUT an eventual retirement in its future.

In any case, I don't think the impact (if there is one) is going to have much, if any, real-world effect on EA/Izotope beyond the few people here (many of which aren't owners of the plugin nor the hardware reverb) who probably aren't losing much sleep over any of this.

If it's a valued and necessary product, why doesn't someone else create a version? I have several "free" customizable MIDI controllers on my iPad and Mac which could be designed to cover this territory. What was great about the plugin was the slick interface and time put into designing it, but nothing that I'm aware of is proprietary about the product.

Where is Bricasti's answer to the question about why they're not adopting it?
for one thing they make a beautiful hardware remote.
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

Yes of course everyone has acted entirely appropriately. It was very kind of Michael to provide a useful tool that benefitted all of us. IZotope bought Exponential Audio for many good reasons. M7 Control was not one of them.

So we are all now moving forward rebalancing the status. Moving it towards a new quo.

-Casey
Old 18th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
for one thing they make a beautiful hardware remote.
They do, but for $2,299, and to my knowledge it doesn't save settings with the session. Maybe they've decided, now, that a simpler plugin cuts too far into the remote's stake in the market.
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Maybe you didn't understand the full context of the conversation? Casey's about as nice and a straight shooter as they get in this biz.
Oh, I understand. I also understand I, along with anyone else, don’t have to spend with Bricasti. There are multiple fast horses in the race.

I tend to spend where my hard-earned dollars are appreciated.
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes of course everyone has acted entirely appropriately.
Disagree. We're talking about software products running on platforms that face frequent major changes (macOS on a yearly basis, Windows whenever they feel like it.) This can break functionality from one day to the next and is why continued support is expected. I dislike Apple's position not letting the user buy a brand new machine and install an older macOS but I understand why they do it and it's the reality of doing business in this field. Microsoft's mandatory updates are less "understandable" but again it's the reality.

Quote:
It was very kind of Michael to provide a useful tool that benefitted all of us.
I'm not trying to start **** but this statement baffles me. Michael's not working solely out of the kindness of his heart, he (was) running a business and charging money. If M7 Control had been free, peoples' reaction to this situation would be different.

Quote:
IZotope bought Exponential Audio for many good reasons. M7 Control was not one of them.
Clearly.

Quote:
So we are all now moving forward rebalancing the status. Moving it towards a new quo.

-Casey
I sincerely hope a remedy is found to the situation with which all parties are satisfied.

edit: also what about people who bought an M7M (no front control panel) with the expectation of using the M7 control plugin with it? Once the plugin breaks their only option is buy the $2000 remote that in some respects offers less functionality than the plugin (recall) or to sell the M7M which would be worth less in a world without the M7 plug running on up-to-date systems.
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Maybe they've decided, now, that a simpler plugin cuts too far into the remote's stake in the market.
Oh ya, I can see how someone might conclude that but no. That would be a horrible outcome.

-Casey
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you're wise to stay out of the plugin business and focus on the things you hit out of the park. If you announced that you were taking on a native Bricasti plugin, I would read that as bad news - I want y'all working on v3

Last edited by antichef; 19th April 2019 at 09:43 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search