The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dear Neumann Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2018
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
The modern successor to the KM84 is the Beyerdynamic MC930.
need to check those out someday soon.
i have looked at getting a pair of those a few times but just never bit the bullet.
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

I have not heard the reissued U67 or the Fet-47,

I own vintage original U87, FET 47, KM-84s from the 70's.

Anyone with experience know how close the reissue U-67 is to an original? I would like to possibly buy a reissue U67,

From my experience the new U87 is not like a Vintage U87.

NEUMANN WE WANT ORIGINAL CLASSICS! ALL OF THEM!!!
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

AFAIK Neumann's only model, that's impossible to
match, is the U47 tube (without the VF-14). I'm not sure what's the story on the Nuvistor's. Chris
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
AFAIK Neumann's only model, that's impossible to
match, is the U47 tube (without the VF-14). I'm not sure what's the story on the Nuvistor's. Chris
At one point I worked in a place that had 11 U47's, all unique-sounding. Some had VF14's, others had Nuvistors. I don't think you'd have been able to pick out which had what in a blind test.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 1st November 2018 at 04:39 PM..
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Unless you're Klaus Heyne! Chris
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Guru

The little soyuz fet sdc’s sound really good.solid build.beefy brass bodies.
I was really surprised by those next to 84’s and my 56’s.
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
The little soyuz fet sdc’s sound really good.solid build.beefy brass bodies.
I was really surprised by those next to 84’s and my 56’s.

RB Have you try the Soyuz sdc'z on OH's . ?

Thank's
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
The modern successor to the KM84 is the Beyerdynamic MC930.
I heard the MC-930's they're amazing especially for the price.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
At one point I worked in a place that had 11 U47's, all unique-sounding. Some had VF14's, others had Nuvistors. I don't you'd have been able to pick out which had what in a blind test.
Bruce Swedien’s had a nuvistor.

The main thing with the nuvistor, is with the stock Neumann circuit mod for it, it winds up with less extreme lows, because of the new capacitance relationship with the transformer.

Some people view that as positive. The Neumann circuit can also be tweaked some to give more lows, and if a different turns ratio output transformer is incorporated - like a BV11, it can add that back for sure.

One of Neumann’s former top people...maybe Uwe(?), iirc, took the same basic position as you Bret. Most people could not hear the difference with the Nuvistor by ear, especially with the way the mic is typically used, for vocal, acoustic guitar and such.
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127Riot View Post
I heard the MC-930's they're amazing especially for the price.
I've got a pair of MC930 and a couple KM84. I've tried them together on multiple sources and I just don't get the comment that the MC930 is a replacement for the KM84. I don't find them to sound similar at all. The KM84 has an upper mid presence but isn't harsh. The MC930 is way more neutral without that slight bump. In my tests, my modded Oktava MC012's are much closer to the KM84 than the MC930. But, don't get me wrong. On piano and violin I much prefer the MC930 over the KM84. The MC930 is very smooth yet detailed. The KM84 has a little more bite to it, which I like better on plucked instruments.
Old 31st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
I've got a pair of MC930 and a couple KM84. I've tried them together on multiple sources and I just don't get the comment that the MC930 is a replacement for the KM84. I don't find them to sound similar at all. The KM84 has an upper mid presence but isn't harsh. The MC930 is way more neutral without that slight bump. In my tests, my modded Oktava MC012's are much closer to the KM84 than the MC930. But, don't get me wrong. On piano and violin I much prefer the MC930 over the KM84. The MC930 is very smooth yet detailed. The KM84 has a little more bite to it, which I like better on plucked instruments.
I never said they are a replacement or that they sound the same, I just said they're great mics. I never compared the MC930 to my KM-84's I just use what I need and it works.
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Nut

I was actually referring to the comment from Plush. Sorry about that.
The MC930 is a great mic. I'm not saying anything different. I just don't think it sounds much like the KM84. That was my only point.
Old 31st October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Heyne's biggest Diss was the about the capsule on the new u67 all other things where topnotch.
this may be an oversimplification of Klaus’ teardown. The capsule was the biggest blocker, but iirc the tube, cable and powersupply were also bottlenecks
.. at least that was my reading.

Still gotta be a badass mic. Still based around their original capsule design (tension tolerance notwithstanding?) with the same circuit. I believe he is doing a retrofit for someone up here.
Old 31st October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
this may be an oversimplification of Klaus’ teardown. The capsule was the biggest blocker, but iirc the tube, cable and powersupply were also bottlenecks
.. at least that was my reading.

Still gotta be a badass mic. Still based around their original capsule design (tension tolerance notwithstanding?) with the same circuit. I believe he is doing a retrofit for someone up here.
Maybe, non the less he more or less just confirmed what ive heard in the few tests available. I'm a happy camper with my vintage u67 anyways. It doesn't seem to have affected the vintage prices either!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search