The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Helios Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 20th August 2018
Here for the gear
Hey there folks, a quick update on the whereabouts of Peter Weihes old Hammersmith Helios. It got bought by an acclaimed German Film Composer a few years back and is now located near Husum in northern Germany. I just tracked a band through it and boy... Does that thing sound! I used the direct outs straight into two AD16Xs and I can confirm: The board is alive and rockin'.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Helios-bildschirmfoto-2018-08-20-um-16.20.58.jpg  
Old 13th September 2018
Here for the gear

Tony Arnold

indeed Tony Arnold had a passion for excellence,

and his passion would grow on everyone meeting him…

as we all know here, Tony’s passion were Ampex, Helios and of course his dear wife, not in that order but we are not here to talk about LOVE.

he was a MASTER in sound engineering and a man of great taste for all that concerns MUSIC and its recording techniques and instruments,
you wouldn’t believe how much recording equipment Tony had stocked, instruments, mics, consoles, racks and parts, memorabilias and valves collectibles, the barn of the Holy Grail for most of us…
he always had to be ready to fix any Ampex or Helios issues in the moment and have the part for it at hand… that’s how he would enjoy his laid back moment, telling you some of his jokes collection and memories on his past recording sessions, microphones guitars and amps he used and why, have the tea his wife has selected for him while making your studio the best sounding possible…
all of Tony’s anecdotes were a lesson !

that’s how i met Tony Arnold some 25 years ago and i am so proud of our friendship,
he had taught me a lot on sound techniques of course but not only that, he has showed me his exemplary attitude on LIFE and his incommensurable thirst for what tickle your ears and (eng)inner senses,
as an exemple, some 20 years ago i offered Tony a Ben Harper’s album , the first one and he was soon to find the best Weissenborn and quickly learn how to play it,
Tony had no limit … not in time, not in MUSIC… and not in pain.

as a gentleman, he handled his pain and would never speak about it other than vaguely, he was still inventing the new Helios in his 70’s, even though what he was going through and would always plan ahead, always had something cooking…
by that i refer to the analog mastering he had to do on old AMPEX tapes and was warming them in the oven at the right temp and time, to melt them smoothly, have them sounding their best again.
Tony’s tech was logical and he would always starts with what comes first, «*better with less*», and i think he learned that from his session with Stevie Ray Vaughan, as he told me, there was all the best amps in the studio but Stevie Ray wouldn’t play them, came back with a small amp he had in the trunk of his car and unleashed hell, «*you can’t play Blues on a rich amp !*»

do you know that Tony was also doing Mastering and how great it sounds !
well, Rory Gallagher’s, nonetheless… and the royalties to the dolphin’s …

i can only admire Tony’s career and lifetime dedication to what he considered the best gears for musicians and recordings, HELIOS and AMPEX.
Tony has made it all, he loved Music and Music loved him back, he started as a guitarist in a band, then engineered and produced, he has started his recording career in MONO time and has been trough the 2 tracks recording, then 4, 8, 16 and 24 on analog tapes, has been trough all the tech for us as he saw the change coming with Digital to finally agreed with it, i remember him telling me «*not until 24b 96k, but it’ll come*soon enough » …

Tony’s re-issue of the Helios modules are his testimony on his era and how musician’s music should sounds

as Music is changing with its time so is the art of recording it,
Tony Arnold will always be on that path… he was a dreamer of sounds !

cheers mate’
Old 13th September 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattms View Post
indeed Tony Arnold had a passion for excellence,

and his passion would grow on everyone meeting him…

as we all know here, Tony’s passion were Ampex, Helios and of course his dear wife, not in that order but we are not here to talk about LOVE.

he was a MASTER in sound engineering and a man of great taste for all that concerns MUSIC and its recording techniques and instruments,
you wouldn’t believe how much recording equipment Tony had stocked, instruments, mics, consoles, racks and parts, memorabilias and valves collectibles, the barn of the Holy Grail for most of us…
he always had to be ready to fix any Ampex or Helios issues in the moment and have the part for it at hand… that’s how he would enjoy his laid back moment, telling you some of his jokes collection and memories on his past recording sessions, microphones guitars and amps he used and why, have the tea his wife has selected for him while making your studio the best sounding possible…
all of Tony’s anecdotes were a lesson !

that’s how i met Tony Arnold some 25 years ago and i am so proud of our friendship,
he had taught me a lot on sound techniques of course but not only that, he has showed me his exemplary attitude on LIFE and his incommensurable thirst for what tickle your ears and (eng)inner senses,
as an exemple, some 20 years ago i offered Tony a Ben Harper’s album , the first one and he was soon to find the best Weissenborn and quickly learn how to play it,
Tony had no limit … not in time, not in MUSIC… and not in pain.

as a gentleman, he handled his pain and would never speak about it other than vaguely, he was still inventing the new Helios in his 70’s, even though what he was going through and would always plan ahead, always had something cooking…
by that i refer to the analog mastering he had to do on old AMPEX tapes and was warming them in the oven at the right temp and time, to melt them smoothly, have them sounding their best again.
Tony’s tech was logical and he would always starts with what comes first, «*better with less*», and i think he learned that from his session with Stevie Ray Vaughan, as he told me, there was all the best amps in the studio but Stevie Ray wouldn’t play them, came back with a small amp he had in the trunk of his car and unleashed hell, «*you can’t play Blues on a rich amp !*»

do you know that Tony was also doing Mastering and how great it sounds !
well, Rory Gallagher’s, nonetheless… and the royalties to the dolphin’s …

i can only admire Tony’s career and lifetime dedication to what he considered the best gears for musicians and recordings, HELIOS and AMPEX.
Tony has made it all, he loved Music and Music loved him back, he started as a guitarist in a band, then engineered and produced, he has started his recording career in MONO time and has been trough the 2 tracks recording, then 4, 8, 16 and 24 on analog tapes, has been trough all the tech for us as he saw the change coming with Digital to finally agreed with it, i remember him telling me «*not until 24b 96k, but it’ll come*soon enough » …

Tony’s re-issue of the Helios modules are his testimony on his era and how musician’s music should sounds

as Music is changing with its time so is the art of recording it,
Tony Arnold will always be on that path… he was a dreamer of sounds !

cheers mate’
That's really lovely, Matt. Thanks for sharing.
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

Sad to hear of Tony’s passing my condolences to Pauline, who often answered the phone when Tony had moved to France. Tony was a very kind man who shared a lot of his knowledge and experiences, he helped me out by repairing an Ampex 2 track headblock when he didn’t have too during what was a very busy time for him as he was getting things of the ground with the new Helios modules.
Many thanks Tony
Michae Ashley
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

Old 24th January 2019
Here for the gear
Does anybody know anything about this?

It looks like a Helios Electronics, it sounds like a type 69 re issue.

No 48V. VU-meters.

Maybe a prototype...? Or is it just a D I Y project with very serious face plate?

Anybody?
Attached Thumbnails
Helios-20190123_204303.jpg   Helios-20190123_204419.jpg   Helios-20190123_204104.jpg   Helios-20190123_204009.jpg   Helios-20190123_203905.jpg  

Helios-20190123_203827.jpg  
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubgubben View Post
It looks like a Helios Electronics, it sounds like a type 69 re issue.

No 48V. VU-meters.

Maybe a prototype...? Or is it just a D I Y project with very serious face plate?

Anybody?
Yeah Tony made some of those daul module units early on.
And just to be clear the original 3 band passive Helios Lustraphone modules were called 0011’s
Tony Arnold made up the “Type 69” moniker for marketing.
sounds sexier!
Old 24th January 2019
Here for the gear
Thank You RoundBadge for Your reply.

I know their 1 ru stereo unit. A friend in our town has one but doesn't want to sell it (of course) so I had to take a chance and get this strange one.

The one my friend have, has the blue trim pots and the attenuator swith on the front. White texting and a lot of different lay-out on the face plate. And it also says type 69. This one doesn't say anything, more than Helios Electronics.

I don´t know so much about pcb:s layout and electronics so I am not convinced that it has the same components as a type 69, made by Tony. (if they are not placed exactly similar)

Still a little bit mysterious.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubgubben View Post
Thank You RoundBadge for Your reply.

I know their 1 ru stereo unit. A friend in our town has one but doesn't want to sell it (of course) so I had to take a chance and get this strange one.

The one my friend have, has the blue trim pots and the attenuator swith on the front. White texting and a lot of different lay-out on the face plate. And it also says type 69. This one doesn't say anything, more than Helios Electronics.

I don´t know so much about pcb:s layout and electronics so I am not convinced that it has the same components as a type 69, made by Tony. (if they are not placed exactly similar)

Still a little bit mysterious.
Yeah likely an earlier version
I’ve had 4 re issues and 4 originals years ago.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

2 of my 4 Helios racks for sale.

I just put 2 of my 4 remote recording racks up for sale on reverb.

Custom made Helios / Neve / API / Shadow Hills - 16 channel | Reverb

16 channels (or 2 racks) of my remote rig have been on location for over a year now...
These 2 racks I posted on Reverb have been residing here at my place,
but have been used only a handful of times, simply due to the fact
that I have NO DAMN ROOM for them.

Sad.
So I still have the other two racks loaded, and they are due to come back home sometime in April.
That said I really have no need for 32 channels of Helios modules let alone the room to store, 4 racks.

The attached photo is how the whole rig goes out when it's rented.
Attached Thumbnails
Helios-retrorac-9.jpg  
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Guru

Love that rig Paul!!
Old 12th April 2019
Here for the gear

Reply to Dubgubben The dual helios unit pictured is one of 10 built for Tony Arnold by Raindirk using his 69 issue 1 modules. I seem to remember providing a 48v supply despite specifically informed 'not required'. It should be simple to hook up to the 48v output. I still have a spare front panel, artworketc.

My Lustraphone mic. transformer clones are available Cyril Jones
Old 12th April 2019
Lives for gear

I'm actually mixing today thru one of my Helios 8 x channel remote rigs.
I have 6 of these racks at the moment.

I basically mixed the tune using a UA Apollo 16 thru a Dangerous 2Buss+
(that I love by the way) but I decided it needed something a bit different.

Song was tracked using my TLA console so I specifically wanted to mix it on something else.

I then unpacked one of my remote racks, took a second Apollo 16, wired that into my #1 Helios / Neve rack, using the exact same mix...switched the Thunderbolt cable, and WOW!

Oh, I can testify to the sonics of Cyrils transformers as I have a few!
They're great~!
Attached Thumbnails
Helios-dsc00134.jpg  
Old 12th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones View Post
Reply to Dubgubben The dual helios unit pictured is one of 10 built for Tony Arnold by Raindirk using his 69 issue 1 modules. I seem to remember providing a 48v supply despite specifically informed 'not required'. It should be simple to hook up to the 48v output. I still have a spare front panel, artworketc.

Good to know you’re still doing the Lustraphone clones!
Old 13th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones View Post

I'd be interested in purchasing 6 of your Lustraphone x-formers Cyril.

Thanks!
Tim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search