Helios - Page 6 - Gearslutz Pro Audio Community
Old 11th May 2011
  #151
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
I had a studio in the '90s that had THAT console. 40x32x32 and encased in mahogany wood. It was a good desk! I also worked on the Rolling Stones Mobile on its FIRST ever US gig--Patti Smith Group@CBGB's--another awesome console!


Here's a "promo" poster for our studio. If you zoom in a little, you can kind of see "The Brown."
I had a friend who recorded and mixed a few tracks on that desk.. he loved it!

He mentioned it was the one from the 'Townhouse' studios in London and was responsible for the epochal 'In the air tonight' by Phil Collins and that infamous drum intro!

Thanks
Wiggy
Old 16th May 2011
  #152
Lives for gear
 
tekis's Avatar
"In The Air Tonight"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
I had a friend who recorded and mixed a few tracks on that desk.. he loved it!

He mentioned it was the one from the 'Townhouse' studios in London and was responsible for the epochal 'In the air tonight' by Phil Collins and that infamous drum intro!

Thanks
Wiggy
Yes, Tony Arnold, a gentleman and previous owner of that desk, "Brown Helios", said the same thing. But I'm not too sure. It was at the Townhouse (3 or 4?/ Ramport) before Tony got it. Steve Lillywhite came and hung out after I got it and said "ITAT" was done on an SSL. I do know that PIL "Metal Box" was done on it though.
Old 21st June 2011
  #153
Gear Addict
 
mastermix's Avatar
"Brownie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
I had a studio in the '90s that had THAT console. 40x32x32 and encased in mahogany wood. It was a good desk! I also worked on the Rolling Stones Mobile on its FIRST ever US gig--Patti Smith Group@CBGB's--another awesome console!


Here's a "promo" poster for our studio. If you zoom in a little, you can kind of see "The Brown."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
I had a friend who recorded and mixed a few tracks on that desk.. he loved it!

He mentioned it was the one from the 'Townhouse' studios in London and was responsible for the epochal 'In the air tonight' by Phil Collins and that infamous drum intro!

Thanks
Wiggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
Yes, Tony Arnold, a gentleman and previous owner of that desk, "Brown Helios", said the same thing. But I'm not too sure. It was at the Townhouse (3 or 4?/ Ramport) before Tony got it. Steve Lillywhite came and hung out after I got it and said "ITAT" was done on an SSL. I do know that PIL "Metal Box" was done on it though.
That sure looks like the Helios that now resides at Shorefire Recording in Long Branch, NJ... nicknamed "Brownie", the perfect centerpiece for my buddy Joe DeMaio's setup. This Type 79 replaced an MCI 636.

Here's a pic of me sitting in front of it:



Another view with my friend Thomas Jones:



Another good one:

Old 30th June 2011
  #154
Lives for gear
 
tekis's Avatar
Yes, it is the same console. But he took the wraparound wings off... It served us well though!
Old 30th June 2011
  #155
Lives for gear
Does anyone know anything about the one that was sold from Lombard Sound in Dublin in 1984? Don Larking decommissioned that studio. A sad day it was.
Old 5th July 2011
  #156
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by concentric View Post
Well 6+1, actually.

RE-100
RE-101
RE-200
RE-201
RE-301
RE-501
Multivox MX-201 (a space echo at heart)

My 201 I bought when I was 17, I've had it for 10 years. It was one of the first gear purchases I made, and it's still my favorite.

The RE-100 and RE-200 are some of the earliest models, they look different from the later ones and use a Sony tape cartridge kinda thingie rather than a loop under plexiglas. The sound and echo times available are significantly different. Pic attached.

I have tons of accessories, too. Footswitches, cleaning kit, covers, service manual, etc.
AND I know a couple of bitchin' Space Echo techs, too. Kevin Lightner is one, and used to work for Roland in the service dept. If anyone needs one, get in touch, I'll give you the contact info.

Jason
cool list
Old 28th July 2011
  #157
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech View Post
Does anyone know anything about the one that was sold from Lombard Sound in Dublin in 1984? Don Larking decommissioned that studio. A sad day it was.
lombard is now westland. the helios was replaced with an ssl e series. the live room is still the same. i love recording in there
Old 28th July 2011
  #158
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
lombard is now westland. the helios was replaced with an ssl e series. the live room is still the same. i love recording in there
I know, I was the first full time staff engineer when Westland first opened. Give me the old Helios any day!
Old 20th March 2016
  #159
hello,

i have a few Type 78 modules in a green color that i purchased from Vintage King in 2002. they didn't have much background info or schematics for me when i acquired them so i have no idea which studio originally ordered this desk. my search around the web hasn't turned up any mention of a green Helios other than the Apple console. i think the Apple consoles had Type 69 but i'm not positive.

i came across this link but the website is not loading.
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/ind.../t/16023/6490/

can anyone here ID these modules? Maybe Tony Arnold will chime in and help me figure out the origins of these particular modules.

thanks

Last edited by Russell Elevado; 20th March 2016 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: attachment not loading
Old 22nd March 2016
  #160
Lives for gear
 

Those modules I think came from me @russel Elevado
I traded 2 of the green 78´s for some Altecs w/ VK.
I got them from Funky Junk Sweden, I seem to remember them being from some radiostation, like SR in Sweden.
Never got the schematics or anything with them.
I kinda regret the trade, should´ve just serviced them, as they didn´t sound quite right....

Best,
Tom
Old 22nd March 2016
  #161
Lives for gear
 
Silvertone's Avatar
When we did the great Helios listening party 10 years ago we discovered that some Helios modules sounded truly awful compared to others. We had 11 different modules and conducted the test over two days. I had a special switcher built so we could step through the the modules while the 3 piece band kept playing. Then we compared and compared and compared. The original Olympic modules were the king daddy of them all, many were close to this, some had us all saying "what was Dick thinking?".

Anyway, I still have all those files from this test. I never did write the article I was going to about them as to try and describe in print what we all heard was impossible.

Tony Arnold can probably identity those modules for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Helios-image.jpg  
Old 22nd March 2016
  #162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tom View Post
Those modules I think came from me @russel Elevado
I traded 2 of the green 78´s for some Altecs w/ VK.
I got them from Funky Junk Sweden, I seem to remember them being from some radiostation, like SR in Sweden.
Never got the schematics or anything with them.
I kinda regret the trade, should´ve just serviced them, as they didn´t sound quite right....

Best,
Tom
hi Tom, thanks for your reply!
i bought 8 channels from VK and racked them at Boutique Audio. I emailed Tony and i am pleasantly surprised that he got back to me within two days! he said there is a possibility they might have come from the Apple desk. i'm going to shoot him pics of the innards and maybe we can narrow it down. i believe Apple ordered 2 desks?

it would be a total coincidence if they turn up to be from Apple. but for historical information that special, i can only assume that someone at VK would have known??
Old 23rd March 2016
  #163
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 

I had a pair of VK racked -24 volt Helios Lustraphone modules and a couple of 32v modules here from the Late great John Kuker.
interesting even with the different voltage rails they sounded the same.
[although the 32 v had about 6 db more gain].
the mic pre's had a cool kinda "chewy" vibe,coupled with the passive EQ made them very unique.
Old 24th March 2016
  #164
Lives for gear
 

I've always wondered about the upright Apple Green Helios consoles (I wonder
why more boards aren't built this way..)

Paul McCartney also had a four channel sidecar..

Surely it's not the sort of thing the Beatles would ever
sell. I always assumed they would have like Pete Townsend put all
their past studio equipment in storage and dig it out when they
liked or passed it on to family to use.. I would really like to hear
any updates on the subject - great work by the way Russell..

I owned an early Lustraphone 69 many years ago - snares and vocals

Last edited by Jack P; 24th March 2016 at 09:52 AM..
Loading mentioned products ...
Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ziegenh5 / High end
26
Neve Sucks! / So much gear, so little time!
19
muddy / So much gear, so little time!
7

Forum Jump
 
Join FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search