The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High-End Forum Guidelines - UPDATED!
Old 6th May 2007

This forum is here to talk about high-end equipment and high-end production techniques/discussions.

Threads that are not 'high end' will be moved to the appropriate forums!

If you have questions about plug-ins, computers and sound cards - post in MUSIC COMPUTERS (We realise there are a handful of very expensive "high end" plug-ins but we believe you will get better traffic/discussion there, not here).

If you have info on new products post in the NEW PRODUCT ALERT

If you have any mastering related questions post in MASTERING

If you have questions about "affordable" (ie - inexpensive!) gear post in THE LOW END THEORY

If you have questions about remote recording please post in REMOTE POSSIBILITIES

If you have questions about live sound engineering post in LIVE SOUND

If you have have techy questions about repairing/modifying gear post in GEEKSLUTZ

If you want to moan/whine/complain about recording sessions and equipment post in THE MOAN ZONE

If you want to moan/whine/complain about Gearslutz (or better yet, give us constructive feedback) post in FORUM ISSUES & SUGGESTIONS

Off topic and general chatter should go in the GEAR FREE ZONE (shoot the breeze!)

Please search the forum prior to posting. A lot of stuff has already been discussed to death.

This is the high-end forum and we expect people to act "high end". We do not tolerate personal attacks or other hostile behavior.

Finally, please remember that the High End is about EXPENSIVE STUFF only and it is to be used to talk about gear and production techniques only. Studio threads, "session politics," marketing/website threads etc should go elsewhere. Threads will be left or moved at the moderators' discretion. If you are unsure about whether a thread you want to post belongs here or not, please send a mod a PM.

If you see something that shouldn't be here, please use the 'report' button. If we move your posts, we are not singling you out! It is only because we think you will get a better answer/better discussion elsewhere!

Old 16th January 2013
Due to popular demand, the rules have been amended above as of today (16 January 2013) to better clarify what should and shouldn't be here. Please re-familiarise yourself with them and post accordingly! Thanks!
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Meaning of high end

I think what it really means is high price, and what it should mean is high specs (of course bending the word high to whatever end, like in some cases high bandwidth, in others, hi slew rate, but in others too, slow slew rate, or nice THD characteristics)
Old 23rd January 2015
Lives for gear

To me it's a bit of both. But i think the high price tag is defenitley the first criteria.

Looking through many of the top studios (Abby Road, Oceanway, Capitol, Blackbird, etc...) high end gear lists i find it both telling that they are mostly listing microphone, preamp and compressor gear that are 40+ years old.

In 2015 is it still not possible to make gear that obsoletes the gear of yesterday?

Last edited by chrisdee; 23rd January 2015 at 12:23 PM..
Old 23rd January 2015
...and high end users.

"I have a pultec - how do I plug it in?" is not a high end question, for example.

I think the easiest way to understand this forum is to read the threads that are here.
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Head

While working in recording studios in the past 10 years I always worked with what many people consider as "high end". Not just because it's expensive but a ***** nice piece of gear.

Today I know that high end can be nearly every piece of gear, if you know how to use it.
Old 23rd January 2015
The meaning of high end is set out in the high end guidelines here:

If we consider that a post isn't high end we move it to a forum where it is likely to get more interest from the regular users of that forum. That, unfortunately, will always be a subjective decision but we do try our best.
Old 23rd January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by War in Moscow View Post
Today I know that high end can be nearly every piece of gear, if you know how to use it.
Exactly, which is why for the purposes of the forum we need to draw a line somewhere. Otherwise every thread on the forum could be in here.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search