The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2018 Hi mic purchases Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd August 2018
Gear Head

2018 Hi mic purchases

I already got quite a few nice mic like: Bock 507, Sounddelux 251 with NOS tube , Redd, Gefell Um900, Nordic audio Swe1, 2gefel um70s , 2 Neumann km56, 2 U87, Kat 67&252. Slate VSM & J.J. audio Antika. Also Got a U67 reissue coming . I do a lot of vocal produc and recording .So They serve mainly purpose of vocal, but also guitar and drum & Strings recording.. but Still needed 1or2 high mic.

is sony C800G still the highly sought after urban mic in 2018
Anyone actually owe and used a Josephson C725 here in GS?

Between C800G /new tele Elam251/flea C12/ Josephson C725, your choice

Last edited by PrivateZoo; 22nd August 2018 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Don't know about it being a sought-after "urban" mic but the C800G is definitely one of the best mics there is. Own or have used just about all the mics mentioned (waiting to try the C725) & if you've never used the Sony you'll be in for a very pleasant experience.
Old 22nd August 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
Don't know about it being a sought-after "urban" mic but the C800G is definitely one of the best mics there is. Own or have used just about all the mics mentioned (waiting to try the C725) & if you've never used the Sony you'll be in for a very pleasant experience.
I used the C800G like 15 years ago did 20 songs on it .. finally ended up using it for instrument dubbing more esp acoustic gtr .. back then my main vocal mics were soundelux Elux 251 and soundelux E47 ...

800G:everyone now tried to avoid purchase it, and hoping the slate C800 can cut it instead lol
Old 22nd August 2018
Never used a c800. I got u67, 269c and u87. I got a 414eb with brass capsule just recently and now I really lust for a vintage C12. Always liked the airy quality much as I prefer the 269c over the a u67.

I'd go for a C12 or a 251 style mic if you don't want to go for a vintage one.
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Addict

My .02 and mic musings:

Had a Flea 12 and have a Tele 251.

For me, mainly female vocals, Flea 49 easily beat the Flea 12, and Tele 251 outshines the Flea 49, not a fair comparison though and the 49 is 90%, just “softer” than a 251 but with great highs and lows, and I can dial the 251 into 49 territory with Coil Audio preamp features.

Tele 251 resale if you find a good seller and deal, is strong at a little over $7K if that is something to consider. The Upton 251 gets raves from someone I respect and is worth a look.

I am going to sell my F49 (keep saying that but can’t quite list it, as it was my first great mic, this has been going on since Dec.) at around $3,500. which is also solid resale value. Not advertising, don’t need the cash now, just giving you my honest .02 on resale considerations which I do think through.

Never looked for 800s, hardly ever any high-end Josephson’s listed, the 725 is on my wish list but I do have a concern about resale market and value of this mic. If a 715 or 725 ever pops up at a resale discount, I would make the leap.

Manley Silver will likely be my next mic purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateZoo View Post
I already got quite a few nice mic like: Bock 507, Sounddelux 251 with NOS tube , Redd, Gefell Um900, Nordic audio Swe1, 2gefel um70s , 2 Neumann km56, 2 U87, Kat 67&252. Slate VSM & J.J. audio Antika. Also Got a U67 reissue coming . I do a lot of vocal produc and recording .So They serve mainly purpose of vocal, but also guitar and drum & Strings recording.. but Still needed 1or2 high mic.

is sony C800G still the highly sought after urban mic in 2018
Anyone actually owe and used a Josephson C725 here in GS?

Between C800G /new tele Elam251/flea C12/ Josephson C725, your choice

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 23rd August 2018 at 01:43 AM..
Old 23rd August 2018
Gear Head

No one seemed to have heard C725 ever had a listen on josephson c715 or C716
Anyone?

Yes I worry about the resale value
251 have the soundelux and Korby K67. Considering us tele 251.. because heard very very good words from friend . If everything workout nice , i might be sell Elux 251..

Of all my mics, I think I am missing sth with a very open like C12/ sony /brauner .. any other hi end choices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
My .02 and mic musings:

Had a Flea 12 and have a Tele 251.

For me, mainly female vocals, Flea 49 easily beat the Flea 12, and Tele 251 outshines the Flea 49, not a fair comparison though and the 49 is 90%, just “softer” than a 251 but with great highs and lows, and I can dial the 251 into 49 territory with Coil Audio preamp features.

Tele 251 resale if you find a good seller and deal, is strong at a little over $7K if that is something to consider. The Upton 251 gets raves from someone I respect and is worth a look.

I am going to sell my F49 (keep saying that but can’t quite list it, as it was my first great mic, this has been going on since Dec.) at around $3,500. which is also solid resale value. Not advertising, don’t need the cash now, just giving you my honest .02 on resale considerations which I do think through.

Never looked for 800s, hardly ever any high-end Josephson’s listed, the 725 is on my wish list but I do have a concern about resale market and value of this mic. If a 715 or 725 ever pops up at a resale discount, I would make the leap.

Manley Silver will likely be my next mic purchase.
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Josephson 715 & 716 might just be the best FET's out there right now. And if you have both you've just about covered all sources!
They're that great AND that different from each other.
They also happen to be the same capsules in the Manley Sliver & Manley Gold.

Brauners are also phenomenal mics. Just haven't heard them with the new capsules.
Old 18th September 2018
Here for the gear
Hi There.

Yesterday I did a simple shoot out with Josephson C725, Bock 5 zero 7, Pearlman TM250 and Thuresson CM-502.

The Josepson was absolutely Amazing, our voices were so detailed without any low frequency smearing or high mid hype. Bock was great too but in my opinion it is Worth the 1 k extra for the Josepson.
Pearlman was a completely different division (and price category).

Thuresson had the same definition and fast transient response as the Josepson - or actually, the Josephson had the same high definition as Thuresson with added tube feeling. I was completely knocked by the Josepson and Heavy craving for having one started immediately.
Old 18th September 2018
Gear Addict

I have never heard of Thuresson, owned/sold a Pearlman 250, have researched 507 for a few years and 725 since introduction and found very limited listening opportunities.

I would love to hear the shoot out recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubgubben View Post
Hi There.

Yesterday I did a simple shoot out with Josephson C725, Bock 5 zero 7, Pearlman TM250 and Thuresson CM-502.

The Josepson was absolutely Amazing, our voices were so detailed without any low frequency smearing or high mid hype. Bock was great too but in my opinion it is Worth the 1 k extra for the Josepson.
Pearlman was a completely different division (and price category).

Thuresson had the same definition and fast transient response as the Josepson - or actually, the Josephson had the same high definition as Thuresson with added tube feeling. I was completely knocked by the Josepson and Heavy craving for having one started immediately.
Old 18th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateZoo View Post
Anyone actually ow[n] and used a Josephson C725 here in GS?
Yes, I recently added one to my mic locker. You can find my initial impressions at the bottom of this thread. A lead vocal comparison between this and the Neumann M149 is likely to happen, but I can't say exactly when.

David
Old 19th September 2018
Gear Maniac

owning a C715 for some years now, just my two cents:
it‘s very well built. singers love its look and feel. it‘s one of those things inside any studio that everybody just must touch...
the sound: very detailed, very precise, without any harshness, very clear without being bright. at least to my ears. is it an allrounder? I‘d say definitely not! It sounds very special somehow. On some sources I can‘t like it at all (e.g. drum room, grand piano, guitar, upright bass, cello), on others it seems to fit perfectly, like some singers (female folk alto), on trombone (perfect match!), some saxophone players (depends a lot on the instrument and mouthpiece and style of playing).
I‘d say it is the mic in my studio that needs most attention during A/B shootouts. But it totally polarizes. Eighter you‘ll love what you hear, or you‘ll hate its sound.
And it has nothing to do with the mic itself, it‘s always its reaction to the individual source.
I use it with a Gordon Systems 5 pre, sometimes also with my vintage Neves, once also with a racked MCI 500 series pre (a rather special sounding and not very sought-after IC topology, that intersetingly matched the character of the Josephson very well).
I‘d love to hear the tube version of that mic in a proper comparisson.
I heard the Manley Silver on some clips at the web, but to my ears it seems very bright and overly airy. I‘d expect the Josephson tube to be much warmer, following their reputation... very curious if I would be right with this...
Old 24th September 2018
Here for the gear
Sorry we didn't save any sound-files and regret it immediately after closing the project.
Old 24th September 2018
Gear Nut

The 715 didn't really catch my ear but the 716 had me hooked!
Truly a great mic.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

what are the best sources for the 716?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search