The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Symphony I/O MKII with Antelope 10MX? Synchronisers/Clock Generators
Old 21st August 2018
Here for the gear

Apogee Symphony I/O MKII with Antelope 10MX?

Hello fellow GS!

I'm in interested in hearing anyone's experience using the Antelope 10MX with an Apogee Symphony MKII system. Do you have this setup? Did you evaluate both of these together and choose something else?

Thank You!
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

Why would you want this? Apogee Symphony already has a superb clock that you can use as a master clock for your additional digital sources.
Old 21st August 2018
Here for the gear

Great question. I'm not sure I would, that's why I'm asking if anyone had had any experience with this setup. I see many threads on the 10MX in which shootouts are executed but never with the Apogee Symphony and usually with Antelope I/O and in a few cases Burl.
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

I haven’t, but to be honest I wouldn’t even bother with Apogee Symphony mk2. It is an outstanding unit with superb clock, and internal clocks always work better for internal converters, especially nowadays, when all these clocks are great.

IMHO it would only maybe make sense when you would need to sync many different digital units.
Old 21st August 2018
Try the GRIMM CC1 clock. It is very i-m-p-r-e-s-s-i-v-e
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

Also, I hate to say it, but my experience so far with the 10MX is that their have been failure issues, with subsequent inability to get the unit repaired. The local shop in LA that does the warranty work had a pile of them sitting there waiting for the necessary part from Antelope. My friend's unit was out of commission for at least 6 months. I don't care how good something might sound, if it doesn't work.

I've never felt anything was lacking with the internal clock in my Symphony units.
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

That 10m comment is spot on. I was set on getting one but read about how a bunch failed and the repairing was almost non existent. So honestly that leaves the Grimm and the BLA microclock III XB. Pick ur poison and try em, I have a XB clock in my avid but im gonna get a Grimm to try out and see how it sounds just cuz. Probably next year though, clocks affect the sound, dont let anyone tell you different.
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

Clocks do affect the sound, but once tou are at the level of Symphony and latest incarnation of Big Ben clock, you can stop thinking about it.
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

I agree with Jantex.. unless need to sync multiple units, forget it.

Btw, just a shameless plug, I have a superb Symphony mk2 8x8 thunderbolt for sale. Sounds stellar, used on my last production.
I'm leaving the rec biz.

Cheu
Old 21st August 2018
Gear Head

I have an Apogee Symphony I/O MK2. It sounds amazing. I use it to send to my outboard mastering chain. It then returns through my Burl B2 Bomber via AES. The Apogee acts as the clock for the Burl. I think the clock on the Apogee is fantastic. I believe adding the Antelope would be a barely audible difference at best.
Old 22nd August 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for the information everyone. I appreciate it!
Old 22nd August 2018
Here for the gear

I should have been more specific on my original post. I’m using Two (Apogee Symphony I/O MKIIs). Does using multiple units make an external clock more relevant?
Old 22nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondruleis View Post
I should have been more specific on my original post. I’m using Two (Apogee Symphony I/O MKIIs). Does using multiple units make an external clock more relevant?
Nope, it doesnt. I expect two or more Symphonys to work flawlessly in tandem without any sync issues. One will be master, second slave. At least that it was when I was using Symphonys I/O mk1.
Old 22nd August 2018
Lives for gear

I say get a Grimm CC2 just to have everything running on the same track. If you have splurged this much another 1050 wont hurt that much.
Old 27th January 2019
Here for the gear
What about the Grimm CC 2 clocking the Apogee symphony mkI any thoughts ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search