The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
External crossover Equalisers (HW)
Old 20th August 2018
Here for the gear

External crossover

I want to bi-amp my Apogee Divas using an external electronic (analog) crossover.
( I don't want to use DSP and DON'T want to start a debate about digital vs analog crossovers!). In the hi fi world the Pass Labs XVR-1 is widely regarded as the best active electronic crossover. I'm just wondering if there are any from the pro world that I should be considering i.e. that aren't full of cheap and nasty op-amps - ?
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear

Do you need FIR filtering...could you benefit from AES inputs ? Bi-tri-quad or Quint amp configuration ?
Old 20th August 2018
Here for the gear

I need analog inputs, preferably balanced. I only need low and high pass filtering. Bi-amping capability a necessity, tri-amping capability would be nice.
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear

Slightly customized Bryston crossovers have been the crossovers for PMC’s reference/large active speakers for a long while (though I’m not sure what is being used on the QB series)
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansr View Post
In the hi fi world the Pass Labs XVR-1 is widely regarded as the best active electronic crossover.

In the hifi world, the most used device is the berhinger dcx2496 whatever the high end level of the rest of the installation.

In the pro world, you have Crossovers – Thomann UK
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

In my experience, most of these analog active crossovers (even in the case of the higher end units) do not offer the flexibility in setup needed to provide the drivers with the correct slopes/frequencies to keep phase relationship and overall magnitude response correct...
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
In my experience, most of these analog active crossovers (even in the case of the higher end units) do not offer the flexibility in setup needed to provide the drivers with the correct slopes/frequencies to keep phase relationship and overall magnitude response correct...
Hello,

Have you measurements to confirm your comments ?
Old 21st August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Yes, that's one of the reasons the XVR-1 is highly regarded.

As for the DCX2496, it's cheap. I made a comment about cheap and nasty op amps in the opening post . . . .
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansr View Post
Yes, that's one of the reasons the XVR-1 is highly regarded.

As for the DCX2496, it's cheap. I made a comment about cheap and nasty op amps in the opening post . . . .
Sorry, i didn't see that you judge the quality of a product by his monetary value as it should be in the audiophile world.
Old 21st August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Sorry, i didn't see that you judge the quality of a product by his monetary value as it should be in the audiophile world.
Well either you are wilfully misconstruing my comment or I was being too subtle for you. There's an awful lot of BS and overpriced hi fi gear and you have to be discerning about that. At the same time you get pro gear that's built to a price and that's achieved by using cheap components and sometimes ( but not always) cheap components introduce artefacts and other forms of distortion. Some op amps are notorious in that regard. Enter the DCX2496.
Old 21st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinococcus View Post
Hello,

Have you measurements to confirm your comments ?
Yes, somewhere
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search