The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL, which would YOU pefer... solid SSL 4000 or a new AWS900?
View Poll Results: which would YOU prefer...
solid SSL 4000 G & E series
140 Votes - 53.44%
AWS 9000
85 Votes - 32.44%
Neither...
13 Votes - 4.96%
ITB
24 Votes - 9.16%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st July 2017
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Wiggy Neve Slut's Avatar
 

Moulder = God
Old 27th July 2017
  #62
Gear Nut
 
fullscale's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrero View Post
Thanks. And I just learned elsewhere that 6000/8000 are basically 4000s in different configs.
From what you say, I really need to lay my hands on a Duality and try it. Nobody near enough has got one, and the price will be real steep for me.

I was under the impression that Duality was a continuation of the 9K 'no capacitors direct connect' philosophy. If so, it shouldn't do what the 4K does when pushed. Do you by any chance know why this is? Suspect I might not find that info from common sources, so I'm seizing the opportunity to ask
Yes Duality is the exact same superanalogue (no caps in the signal path) as the XL9000K but it was intentionally modified to behave differently approaching the limits, I've just finished a two week Duality demo with a well known engineer who's run just about every test he could on it and loved the sonics of it over XL9000K and SL4000G+. Oh and yes a 4000 has 2 x stereo busses, 6000 has 3 x stereo busses and 8000 has 4 x stereo busses. Purists will tell you that 4000 sounds best, but the flexibility of multiple busses is better for workflow. Duality has a similar buss structure to 6000 but with better flexibility too use the busses and better sonics of course
Old 27th July 2017
  #63
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullscale View Post
Yes Duality is the exact same superanalogue (no caps in the signal path) as the XL9000K but it was intentionally modified to behave differently approaching the limits
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pickles View Post
Duality is super analogue. 9J/K based as is 900 924 948 etc
I see. Thx guys.
Duality is out of my financial range, for the time being, since I'll be going for a large desk, or none.

I think my problem understanding this, comes from my failure to figure out exactly what the "Superanalog" name entails. I keep searching, even on SSLs site, and I can't seem to find a detailed outline of what this is.

I thouht "Superanalog" was simply a gimmick name for the 'as clean as straight cable' philosophy behind the making of the original 9K? Info on the SSL site supports this conclusion. But if that is the case, if wouldn't be the reason Duality can be overdriven kindof like the 4K.

So then, I thought Superanalog was the dedicated saturation circuitry that I first encountered on SSLs rackmount strips, which I supposed was infused into some 9K models, to complement the shiny clean signalpath of the 9K. But I learned that this saturation thingy is called Variable Harmonic Drive (VHD), not superanalogue, and this left me hanging in the wind to twist.

Then, I thought your testimonies - that the Duality can sound roughly the same thing as the 4K - was because of addon circuitry, or modified circuitry adding to the squeaky clean 9K philosophy (the DNA that Duality is grown from). SSLs site - as far as I have seen - doesn't mention this at all. But I guess you guys says that this in fact is what it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullscale View Post
..it was intentionally modified to behave differently approaching the limits
I feel like a bad student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pickles View Post
Whereabouts are you based?
I live in f*ckin' Mordor, or so it feels like. :P Far up north Europe.
Old 27th July 2017
  #64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Sound, functionality, end product, features....also given what you already have.

And why, please?

Curious.

-a
I'd prefer the 4K for the sound, I just love the sound. But if it were my money I'd go for a modern SSL - because small mushroom clouds coming off a mixing console are not really fun (i.e. the maintenance headaches of the old gear is painful)
Old 27th July 2017
  #65
Lives for gear
 

I'd take an aws any day over a 4K. The 4K has such an identifiable sound- if I want that sound I can go work in a room that has one, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with it on every project. I'd rather have a clean sound.

When they made the 4K they were trying to design a clean signal path and still cram in all those features and options and routing etc.... it's amazing it sounds as good as it does actually considering how much crap your signal goes through.
Old 29th July 2017
  #66
Gear Maniac
 
palebluedot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnajar View Post
I'd take an aws any day over a 4K. The 4K has such an identifiable sound- if I want that sound I can go work in a room that has one, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with it on every project. I'd rather have a clean sound.

When they made the 4K they were trying to design a clean signal path and still cram in all those features and options and routing etc.... it's amazing it sounds as good as it does actually considering how much crap your signal goes through.
Totally agree with this
Old 29th July 2017
  #67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrero View Post
I see. Thx guys.
Duality is out of my financial range, for the time being, since I'll be going for a large desk, or none.

I think my problem understanding this, comes from my failure to figure out exactly what the "Superanalog" name entails. I keep searching, even on SSLs site, and I can't seem to find a detailed outline of what this is.

I thouht "Superanalog" was simply a gimmick name for the 'as clean as straight cable' philosophy behind the making of the original 9K? Info on the SSL site supports this conclusion. But if that is the case, if wouldn't be the reason Duality can be overdriven kindof like the 4K.

So then, I thought Superanalog was the dedicated saturation circuitry that I first encountered on SSLs rackmount strips, which I supposed was infused into some 9K models, to complement the shiny clean signalpath of the 9K. But I learned that this saturation thingy is called Variable Harmonic Drive (VHD), not superanalogue, and this left me hanging in the wind to twist.

Then, I thought your testimonies - that the Duality can sound roughly the same thing as the 4K - was because of addon circuitry, or modified circuitry adding to the squeaky clean 9K philosophy (the DNA that Duality is grown from). SSLs site - as far as I have seen - doesn't mention this at all. But I guess you guys says that this in fact is what it is:

I feel like a bad student.

I live in f*ckin' Mordor, or so it feels like. :P Far up north Europe.
Are you near Finland ? My mate Anders has a Duality at HOME if that's your neck of the woods

An AWS really is not a huge step down and a 948 is incredible bang for buck. As I mentioned before you can always add dynamics later as I really dig those TBH. Funky Junk often have AWS and Dualitys SH and have exported to North Europe in my experience they are good. Why not check that SH angle?

Re superanlogue it was all about being "clean" the VHD was added later and some people route the MTRK returns via the VHD pres to add that rather than straight line inputs. To dial in crunch as it were.

I like modern SSL tis for the modern world and they work really well with PT.

Cheers
Old 31st July 2017
  #68
Gear Nut
You sound like what your heart desires is a 4K. If you are doing classical or broadcast or edm the newer surface mount (non field reparable) SSL desks are a great modern solution but if you want to bash your audio by slamming the mix buss of your 4K then only the genuine article will due. I have worked on all of them and the new desks just sound too measured for my tastes and style. 4k's can sound very clean. It's all how you gainstage the desk . I would rather have the option to mangle my audio at will or keep it clean depending on the project. With the new desks they don't like to be driven to extremes . It's just not what they were built to do. They figure you will use plugins for saturation. There is a reason a lot of guys still rely on the 4K . They just sound cool when driven hard. If that's the kind of thing you are into. Still works for f Reid Shippen, CLA, Vance Powell,Just to name a few.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
jjohn031 / High End
14
RIZ Records / Rap + Hip Hop Engineering and Production
3
passionmax / High End
3
GYang / High End
3
clip6 / Q+A with Mike Shipley
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump