The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
$3500 microphone kit recommendations Condenser Microphones
Old 15th August 2018
Here for the gear

$3500 microphone kit recommendations

Hej Gearslutz,

I'm a long time lurker looking for some advice regarding a more high end microphone setup (with recommended accessories included). My current setup for recording all sorts of stuff for different kinds of applications are a Mixpre 3, MP of NT5s, NT1-A, NTG1, Røde Videomic, Zoom H1n and the Sennheiser Ambeo Smart Headset.

Basically I have about $3500 to spare on acquiring some new gear to add to my setup. I really like Røde but would like to expand my palette with some stuff that are more high end! For example, I've been eyeing the Sanken CO-100K, but I'm thinking the Mixpre 3 (96khz) would limit that mic a little, or am I totally wrong here? Maybe I should go for a high end Sennheiser shotgun (with accessories) or a pair of DPA mics? What would you do?

I should mention that this new mic setup would MAINLY be used for sound effects recording (mainly outside). But versatility is very welcomed. Doesn't necessarily have to be a mono setup, so for example a M/S setup in that price range would be something that I'd consider as well.

I welcome all sorts of recommendations on different kinds of setups you would go for in my situation, with $3500 to spend on new gear. Please feel free to discuss!

I know I'm asking for a lot here in basically begging you to put together a new setup for me, so if this is not allowed I kindly ask mods to remove this.

/D
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewneck View Post
[. . .] I'm a long time lurker [. . .] about $3500 to spare [. . .] go for a high end Sennheiser shotgun [. . .]? What would you do?

[. . .] MAINLY be used for sound effects recording (mainly outside). But versatility is very welcomed. [. . .]
I like the Sennheiser shotgun idea. However, I would more likely chase after this Schoeps setup. Current funds should reach the shotgun and windscreen, I should think. Later if you ever come into another 3.5K [or there about] you could complete the kit with the CCMs.

Double MS | SCHOEPS Mikrofone

But that's just me,

Ray H.
Old 15th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
I like the Sennheiser shotgun idea. However, I would more likely chase after this Schoeps setup. Current funds should reach the shotgun and windscreen, I should think. Later if you ever come into another 3.5K [or there about] you could complete the kit with the CCMs.

Double MS | SCHOEPS Mikrofone

But that's just me,

Ray H.
Thank you Ray! I'm definitely gonna consider a Schoeps setup, now that I actually have the funds to do it.

/D
Old 15th August 2018
Gear Maniac

I would start by replacing your H1n with a different bit-bucket.

Then consider adding other microphones.
Old 15th August 2018
Lives for gear

imo schoeps makes the best shotguns: check out their cmit-series
Old 16th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
I would start by replacing your H1n with a different bit-bucket.

Then consider adding other microphones.
I bought the H1n mainly because of it's portability. Very handy for capturing stuff on the go. By upgrading from it I feel I'd loose some of that portability. Now I can carry it in my pocket, where as a PCM D100 or a H4n (which I've had many years) for example would not really fit in my pocket. So I'd have to bring a backpack.

A high end hand held is something that I will add another time.

Thanks for your suggestion!
Old 16th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
imo schoeps makes the best shotguns: check out their cmit-series
Thank you, that I will do!
Old 16th August 2018
Lives for gear
I suggest this:
SANKEN CMS-7S MS STEREO CONDENSER MICROPHONE MIC | eBay

or this.

Sanken CMS-2 MS Stereo Condenser Microphone Figure Eight & Cardioid Capsule | eBay

Save some cash, get used.

schoeps and Sanken both make fantastic mic's
Old 16th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Well you mentioned doing M/S work, so my thought was a recorder/mixer like a used Sound Devices which allows M/S monitoring.

Start with a solid infrastructure and then build upon it, rather than the reverse.

Rent mics in the interim allowing you to test different setups, which will then guide you into the correct mic purchase for your needs.

Just the thoughts of someone that has been capturing sound effects for nearly 50 years.
Old 17th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Well you mentioned doing M/S work, so my thought was a recorder/mixer like a used Sound Devices which allows M/S monitoring.

Start with a solid infrastructure and then build upon it, rather than the reverse.

Rent mics in the interim allowing you to test different setups, which will then guide you into the correct mic purchase for your needs.

Just the thoughts of someone that has been capturing sound effects for nearly 50 years.
Isn't the Mixpre 3 able to monitor M/S in some way? Would you say the Mixpre 3 is a solid base?

Sadly I live in a small town which to my knowledge doesn't have anywhere you can rent mics. I could probably rent over the internet but I haven't looked too much into that yet. Might do that.

If you don't mind me asking someone like you with so many years of experience, what does your main setup look like when capturing sound effects outside? And your more compact "on-the-run" setup?

Thanks!
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Sorry, for some reason my mind translated your Mixpre-3 as an older 2-channel mix-pre.

From memory the 3 has M/S width and mix options in the menu.
Old 18th August 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewneck View Post
[. . .] some of that portability. Now I can carry it in my pocket [. . .]
Hi krewneck -

Another option you may consider is the Schoeps CCM 41 (Lemo). I've had one of these in my kit for maybe 7+ years. It is usually my first choice for supercardioid-ish Foley/dialog capture - great sound and very, very convenient.

I had to rig up the CCM Rycote Lyres on a small support - still pocket friendly. For outside use though, mine is usually in the large foam W 5 D windscreen (which won't fit in your pocket) and wrapped with a Rycote dead cat.

Schoeps CCM 41 Supercardioid Compact Microphone

Keep in mind that I am much more of a musician than engineer.

Best - Ray H.
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Addict

I'd go with a used U87 and a set of Km184's. The applications are endless.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search