The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Super Strange Sidechain Moves?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Super Strange Sidechain Moves?

I’m wondering if anyone does anything wild with a compressor’s sidechain insert.

Not the regular old eqing the send and returning it back so the detector hears the same program but filtered.

I mean like strange....

Anyone use the insert send for something else entirely? Perhaps not even returning it? (I know sounds silly) stranger things have happened though

Or any interesting processing to the signal before it’s returned?

Perhaps delaying it a bit?
Gating it?
Compressing it?

Just a thought

Have a good weeek
T
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Compressing/limiting the sidechain would basically give you a gain reduction limiter like in Elysia compressors.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Here‘s one that could be fun: run the sidechain through an expander!
Might make for some pretty unforseeable compression.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

cool
yeah thats something to try! expand it....

could you explain how compressing it would get you close to the elysia? the xpressor i assume?

also when i said delay i didnt mean echo, i meant just shifting the signal
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Since the sidechain tells the gain control what to react to, limiting it would also limit the gain reduction being applied. So signals wouldn't be compressed more than x dB, even when they exceed the threshold even further.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Run a metronome into the sidechain.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

You don’t have to run the same channel / source that you are compressing into the side chain. Solo kick would be an example but there are no rules so have fun experimenting. You can run the side chain source through an effects processor before hitting the side chain but you may have to adjust for latency.
Old 1 day ago
Sidechain compress a drum group’s verb bus (100% wet) to kicks or simple rhythms. Try it.

Also... sidechain with an EQ to Sidechain compress only one frequency on an instrument to a competing instrument. Makes vocals gently pop out from dense accompaniment when things get too messy. It sounds different than simply riding a fader.

Put a compressor on something and Use a dummy VI track’s piano roll to trigger sine waves that duplicate another track. Delete the sine track after you Print the compressed audio. This allows you to trigger the compression on the desired notes while still having midi velocity to change threshold amount throughout the track. You can now sidechain a bass with the ability to alter note length and velocity independently of the source.
Old 17 hours ago
Gear Head

Anybody take the sidechain send and use it elsewhere?
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustin187 View Post
Anybody take the sidechain send and use it elsewhere?
What for?
That would be the exact same signal as the input.
Old 16 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
What for?
That would be the exact same signal as the input.
Yeah and I assume not the same quality you would want from your audio outs.

Yeah what for?!?

I guess I’m hunting for one of those stories where someone magivered some roundabout problem by snagging that signal. I can’t imagibe what.
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

I normally drive side chain with dedicated track to have more control to its behaviour.
Old 6 hours ago
500 series nutjob

I have been complaning for some odd years now about companies not offering true Sidechain inserts on their compress's, but all in vain it seems. :(
Old 6 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
I have been complaning for some odd years now about companies not offering true Sidechain inserts on their compress's, but all in vain it seems. :(
Agree. Especially on really these really colorful ones that keep being released. It’s a wasted opportunity to add big value at relatively little cost.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search